What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Upgraded all the way from 380.70 on my AC3200. Total factory reset and manual reentry of settings, of course. Almost everything just worked.

The 3200 has two 5 GHZ "radios" and I use that facility. One "radio" has a separate SSID (for a discrete network) and the other shares its SSID with the 2.4 GHz band. I have heretofore let the devices work out which band they prefer on that SSID, successfully.

My Amazon Echo Show refused to reconnect at all and my 2011 mac Mini on OSX 10.13.4 now prefers the 2.4 band instead of the 5 which it used to.

I had to switch the Echo Show to the discrete 5 Ghz band--which worked. It just cant discriminate between the 2.4 and 5 like it used to.

I have only guesses as to why this behavior is subtly altered. Love to hear your thoughts, all.

just wondering is there any now issues with windows 10 build 1803 and upnp, or is it possibly my first gen 88u giving up the git after flashing this build.
still thinking it might be factory reset time since upnp has been intermittent as of late, other wise every thing else works perfectly.

hah, I really really thought you were going to say "should I factory default reset?"...it comes up so often, and your excellent thread should be stickied at the top with javascript bright lights, foghorns, and vuvuzelas during every release week: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

so...... this will be my first update of firmware since I moved to merlin. I am on 384.4_2. I read your post and it said to check the changelog to see if I need to do a factory reset. I could not see that mentioned in there. You message also suggests as I am going one dot release that this may not be required, but mentions the reasons it may be required, so I am not sure one way or another. I have a load of config, machine naming etc etc, I dont want to re-key unless I really really have to. Thanks in ignorance......

Traveling again,... as always.

I updated again via vpn/screen sharing through computer at home. All services started backup fine with no issues noticed.

Great job! as always ! :)

Thank you for your hard work. I am happy to report that FA along with CTF are enabled in 385.5_0. I made no changes from 384.4_2

Just done the upgrade from 384.4_2. I have been travelling for the last 2 weeks, so hadn't participated in the beta phase.

My AC3200 and AC88 (both in AP mode) asked for a manual reboot following the upgrade, and actually needed it, too. (I have experienced many times that the requested reboot had already been performed by the device.)

My AC86 (in router mode) neither asked for a reboot, nor required one.

I have a fairly detailed OpenVPN set-up, which is why I didn't want to participate in the beta when physically away from the router. I shall put OpenVPN through its paces in the coming days to ensure that it's working as it was before.

Last edited:
So I went out this afternoon and picked up a 86U to see if I could improve my VPN speeds (see other threads). I started with this firmware right out of the gate since it came out today, I factory reset after the upgrade, and in basic routing mode with no settings I cannot get better than 36M down. Weird. If I connect my PC directly to my cable modem, I hit my cap instantly of 200M and it pegs there. I reset to factory defaults again (initialize), and got the exact same results.

Folks with 86U, are you seeing full speeds you expect (not using VPN)?

Next I loaded 384.4_2 and first thing I did is test speed again. Now I peg out.

==update==
I will do more testing here and report back. I went again to 384.5 and got full speed. Very strange as last time I rebooted it and factory defaulted 384.5 a least 3 times and couldn't get over 36M.
mine terrible with 2,4G 13/28Mbps but fine on 5G 180/29Mbps, but maybe because in combination with Intel NIC many see this problems.

Since 384 I had a problem with USB 3.0 storage mount. When you hard reboot router and you plug in 3.0 usb storage or flash memory it doesn't mount. After hard reset you have to unplug any usb device from 3.0 port and first let router boot completly after 5 min or so plug any 3.0 USB storage and will work without any problem. When you soft reset from UI then usb will work without any problem don't need unplug it.
Correct, same here!

iPhone X on iOS 11.3.1 is refusing to connect to WiFi after the flash. Keeps saying the password is incorrect.
Have this with PC too on 68U 5G, just strange, 68U-2,4G and 86U 2,4/5G connected from beginning.

Last edited:
just wondering is there any now issues with windows 10 build 1803 and upnp, or is it possibly my first gen 88u giving up the git after flashing this build.
still thinking it might be factory reset time since upnp has been intermittent as of late, other wise every thing else works perfectly.

I've been having problems with Chrome Remote Desktop for the last couple of weeks. I manage a handful of Windows pc's inhouse and remote using CRD.

Up to yesterday I was on 380.70 on my AC88U, and now i'm on 384.5 (and yes it's initialized and configured from scratch after update).

I've been trying all sorts of tweeking on the windows machines and router, and found the following. (some of this win 10 tweeking have seemed to solve the problem, but after a while it's back to scratch).

CRD works if connection is remote (over the internet)
The connection problems occur when trying to connect inhouse (both pc's on the same lan).
It sometimes works if both pc's are plugged into the same switch, but doesn't seem to be able to connect if they are on two interconnected/cascaded switches.
Problems are the same on 380.70 and 384.5
Problems are the same with or without AiProtection activated.
Problems are the same on both windows 1709 and 1803 pc's.
Problems are the same on pc's with Windows Defender and Norton Internet Security

My gut feeling still says it's Microsoft related, but the funny thing is that when I fired up my PfSense router everything started working again...

Anyway it seems network related somehow, but whose to blame is still a mystery. For now I'm out of ideas, but I thought sharing this maybe could result in a eureka moment for somebody...

I've been having problems with Chrome Remote Desktop for the last couple of weeks. I manage a handful of Windows pc's inhouse and remote using CRD.

Up to yesterday I was on 380.70 on my AC88U, and now i'm on 384.5 (and yes it's initialized and configured from scratch after update).

I've been trying all sorts of tweeking on the windows machines and router, and found the following. (some of this win 10 tweeking have seemed to solve the problem, but after a while it's back to scratch).

CRD works if connection is remote (over the internet)
The connection problems occur when trying to connect inhouse (both pc's on the same lan).
It sometimes works if both pc's are plugged into the same switch, but doesn't seem to be able to connect if they are on two interconnected/cascaded switches.
Problems are the same on 380.70 and 384.5
Problems are the same with or without AiProtection activated.
Problems are the same on both windows 1709 and 1803 pc's.
Problems are the same on pc's with Windows Defender and Norton Internet Security

My gut feeling still says it's Microsoft related, but the funny thing is that when I fired up my PfSense router everything started working again...

Anyway it seems network related somehow, but whose to blame is still a mystery. For now I'm out of ideas, but I thought sharing this maybe could result in a eureka moment for somebody...
part of the issue for me is that asus never included an option to chose between symmetric and full cone nat, which kind of bugs out some of my applications and my consoles, plus for some reason Microsoft hasn't added support for UPNP IGD V2 and UDA V2, which is weird since they have a major hand in upnp and that causes a lot of issues on its own, im kind of getting the feeling that I need to go and get me an 86 since merlin added a full cone nat option in it *sigh*.

Thanks Merlin, updated all fine on AC86u.

Two things though.

I notice in my system log I have thisKernal JFFS warning (843) jffs sum write data: not enough space for summary , padsize = 1047

Anything to worry about, I did a complete reset (initialise) after updating and input all my settings manually.

Also I notice WPS is enabled by default, I always thought this was disabled by default?

Thanks

Since 384 I had a problem with USB 3.0 storage mount. When you hard reboot router and you plug in 3.0 usb storage or flash memory it doesn't mount. After hard reset you have to unplug any usb device from 3.0 port and first let router boot completly after 5 min or so plug any 3.0 USB storage and will work without any problem. When you soft reset from UI then usb will work without any problem don't need unplug it.
I had the same issue until I disabled "Reducing USB 3.0 interference" under Wireless ->Professional (2.4 GHz). After that my flash drive automatically mounted after hard reboots. This, strangely enough, sounds like the exact opposite of what @Blind@Spot did to fix his issue. Maybe just toggling that setting will work?

I had the same issue until I disabled "Reducing USB 3.0 interference" under Wireless ->Professional (2.4 GHz). After that my flash drive automatically mounted after hard reboots. This, strangely enough, sounds like the exact opposite of what @Blind@Spot did to fix his issue. Maybe just toggling that setting will work?

Strange, I updated & did a factory reset. however how USB 3.0 working without changing the interference settings. it won't work in Beta 2 without enabling it.
Works for me.
I don't how it happen. but i had this problem in Beta 2. which i mentioned here [Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 Beta is now available

i reboot / reset several times in Beta 2, but no luck. however now it is working in 384.5

strange, now it is working without any problem in 384.5.

Like with the beta, I am getting these fake upload spikes with this release in the Traffic Monitor WAN tab (which I expected). The pattern I am starting to notice is that after every 4 Gig worth of download, I get the upload spike which matches around the same amount. Each spike seems to be around 4 Gig worth in the span of a couple minutes. Tonight most of the bandwidth was made by my blu-ray player streaming Netflix, general browsing, and YouTube. It took 13.5 hours to reach that amount tonight. During my Twitch watching nights, I'll do that much in 1.5 hours or so.

I'll see if this pattern continues. (RT-AC68U)

RT-AC86U WiFi changes (channel) doesnt take effect without reboot or WiFi disable/enable. On 68U this works still ever.

What I found out, e.g. changing channel 157 to 36 in 5G will not be active till the moment I turn OFF either 2,4G or 5G, both will work for even other. For 2G the same, turn off one will change channel.

Last edited:
RT-AC68U E1

384.5 beta2 - move - to 384.5 (factory reset after upgrade included)

All work fine.......all solid

Great work..........Thanks

Dear Merlin.

Thank you so much for all your time and effort with the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware's.

Forgive an old (63) confused man, but with all respect, I'm a owner of a ASUS RT-AC88U Router and I have hard to understand the different kind Asuswrt-Merlin Firmwares that are released.

For example Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5_0 (384/NG) vs 384.5 Beta 2 vs 380.70.0 This make me in some way confused as I have Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 Beta 2 installed in my ASUS RT-AC88U Router and now came Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5_0 (384/NG). I don't even know what NG stands for.

Again, please forgive me for my confused situation since I don't want to flash my ASUS RT-AC88U Router with the wrong firmware.

Would be grateful for some help to sort this out.

Yours Sincerely, Bengt Johansson.

Dear Merlin.

Thank you so much for all your time and effort with the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware's.

Forgive an old (63) confused man, but with all respect, I'm a owner of a ASUS RT-AC88U Router and I have hard to understand the different kind Asuswrt-Merlin Firmwares that are released.

For example Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5_0 (384/NG) vs 384.5 Beta 2 vs 380.70.0 This make me in some way confused as I have Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 Beta 2 installed in my ASUS RT-AC88U Router and now came Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5_0 (384/NG). I don't even know what NG stands for.

Again, please forgive me for my confused situation since I don't want to flash my ASUS RT-AC88U Router with the wrong firmware.

Would be grateful for some help to sort this out.

Yours Sincerely, Bengt Johansson.

Then you have the last "testversion" which now has become the newest FW available which is 384.5 Stable.

NG means next generation, and is the only one which still be supported/upgraded.

380.70 is the newest of the old fw branch, and will not be supported/upgraded anymore. So if you have a router which is supported by the 384 branch, thats the future.

That said, the 384 branch still has some "quirks", and myself included are not yet totally convinced it's the most stable choice just yet, even though it's the future. Just saying the 380.70 are very stable on the AC88.

Whatever version you decide on, don't forget to "Initiliaze" (since factory default no longer is good enough) after fw upgrade, and DO NOT upload an old backup of your settings, but configure from scratch. This will problably spare you a lot of problems.

At last a well ment advise. Alfa and Beta versions are testversions under development. These versions are therefore not stable and finished its testing. It sounds like those are not what you are after (unless you want to participate in testing not yet ready fw).

Last edited:
Like with the beta, I am getting these fake upload spikes with this release in the Traffic Monitor WAN tab (which I expected). The pattern I am starting to notice is that after every 4 Gig worth of download, I get the upload spike which matches around the same amount. Each spike seems to be around 4 Gig worth in the span of a couple minutes. Tonight most of the bandwidth was made by my blu-ray player streaming Netflix, general browsing, and YouTube. It took 13.5 hours to reach that amount tonight. During my Twitch watching nights, I'll do that much in 1.5 hours or so.

Not complaining, but just confirming the exact same behavior on RT-AC56U. I wouldn't care if it were just the spikes on the 24-hr graph, but each spike adds around 4 Gig bandwidth to the recorded history making it useless for monitoring monthly WAN bandwidth, and since my ISP has bandwidth caps, yet provides no way to monitor bandwidth....

Not sure what open source code OpenWRT + VnStat uses for traffic monitoring, but it works perfectly. So, I've moved to OpenWRT, at least temporarily, since accurate traffic monitoring is a critical feature for me. Again, not complaining...appreciate the years of volunteer hard work that's gone into Merlin firmware. :)

Then you have the last "testversion" which now has become the newest FW available which is 384.5 Stable.

NG means next generation, and is the only one which still be supported/upgraded.

380.70 is the old fw, and will not be supported/upgraded anymore. So if you have a router which is supported by the 384 branch, thats the future.

At last a well ment advise. Alfa and Beta versions are testversions under development. These versions are therefore not stable and finished its testing. It sounds like those are not what you are after (unless you want to participate in testing not yet ready fw).

Thank you so much for your time and help with the informative answer.

God Bless You.

Regards, Bengt Johansson.

Thanks Merlin, updated all fine on AC86u.

Two things though.

I notice in my system log I have thisKernal JFFS warning (843) jffs sum write data: not enough space for summary , padsize = 1047

Anything to worry about, I did a complete reset (initialise) after updating and input all my settings manually.

Also I notice WPS is enabled by default, I always thought this was disabled by default?

Thanks
I saw this JFFS warning a couple times after updating to 384.4-beta 2, and did multiple searches all of SNB and Google. I found 11 instances of that question being asked n SNB, but no replies. I found nothing specific to AsusWRT-Merlin on Google searches. I guess it is nothing to worry about, since it never gets a reply.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!