What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe something to add to the "About" section of https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/ or perhaps the README or CHANGES files in the zipfiles?

Too much work to keep that up-to-date, since it constantly changes. And as you said yourself, most people don't read anything, as witnessed by people asking the same questions over and over again even tho they have been answered many times on these forums. Take the Adaptive QoS errors that gets logged, a simple forum search on the exact error message would provide the answer.

Could it be possible in any of the future updates to change them by (Online= En línea, Wired=Cable, Wireless= Wifi), or at least by the shorter English words?.

I don't touch language files, because keeping them in sync with Asus would become a nightmare. I recommend you contact Asus about it.

I guess it's not possible to "Advertise DNS to clients" and have "Client will use VPN to access: Internet only" at the same time?
I want my openvpn server to be used for Internet only, not LAN and at the same time push DNS to clients. But it seems the "Internet only" blocks access to the routers IP entirely and this don't work.
Any workaround?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

As per https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.46352/page-10#post-403630, I decided to reset to default values, & format the USB device attached and upgrade the router to V3.84.5 Release from Beta 2 as per other peoples suggestions, to see if this would actually fix the issues I was seeing (This did NOT resolve the issues I had below).

After setting up and reconfiguring my router by hand, everything is working great (exactly as before the reset to default values) except for the following issues which are still present:

- The "Traffic Analyzer" Tab, under "Traffic Monitor", if you choose "Daily", it seems the "Reception" and "Transmission" graphs are both reversed, and the calculations are not correct.

- Like MarkH https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-384-ng-asuswrt-merlin-384-5-is-now-available.46575/page-3#post-404948 and others are seeing, the Traffic Monitor WAN Tab shows these spikes, on a regular basis.

- Small cosmetic issue, but still noticing that the "Client Status" or the "View List" is showing all of my Wireless clients as being Wired again. When you export the client list to CSV, all of my Wireless clients show values in "TX" and "RX" columns but the "Interface" Column all shows "Wired"

Last edited:
What is this weird error on log:
wtfd[8719]: Could not find gpnrd pid file at /var/run/gpnrd.pid ...and how to get rid of it. Firmware 384.5. and router 86U

Too much work to keep that up-to-date, since it constantly changes. And as you said yourself, most people don't read anything, as witnessed by people asking the same questions over and over again even tho they have been answered many times on these forums. Take the Adaptive QoS errors that gets logged, a simple forum search on the exact error message would provide the answer.
I actually didn't mean a list of what is and isn't open source. A general disclaimer that many parts are closed-source and can't be changed.

That said, now that I think a bit more, that wouldn't help without the effectively impossible to maintain list. Excellent point, well presented. Thanks.

I want my openvpn server to be used for Internet only, not LAN and at the same time push DNS to clients. But it seems the "Internet only" blocks access to the routers IP entirely and this don't work.
Any workaround?

No simple workaround, no. You'd have to play with the firewall rules yourself to allow access to the router's IP, and then to add the dhcp-option setting to the custom sections. I can't give you the details because I have never looked into such a configuration.

What is this weird error on log:

Related to WTFast. On they would know what it means.

I have installed the FW 384.5 in a RT-AC87U, coming from FW 380.69. It is working fine (I configured it from scratch after a reset and a power cycle), so thank you very much RMerlin for your wonderful work!. Our RT-AC87U is still alive thank you to your updates ...

I would like to "abuse" a little bit of your kindness asking for a solution of this problem (it is an ASUS problem, I know, but they have not fixed it for a long time):
In the Network map page ("Client Status" box), the three tabs that read in English Online-Wired-Wireless, fit well in the box, but the Spanish translation makes the menu "broken":

Could it be possible in any of the future updates to change them by (Online= En línea, Wired=Cable, Wireless= Wifi), or at least by the shorter English words?.

I am not asking to translate anything else (I know it is difficult to maintain), but this menu is very annoying having it broken.
@JIPG, aren't the language files in the WWW directory? What I had done for something else (although it was admittedly not a language file) was, on the post-mount script for my USB stick, I copied WWW over to the stick, created a symlink to the "new" WWW directory, then used SED to change a few things. I'd post a sample but I'm at work and don't have the files available to me. You can change anything you want that way. :)

No simple workaround, no. You'd have to play with the firewall rules yourself to allow access to the router's IP, and then to add the dhcp-option setting to the custom sections. I can't give you the details because I have never looked into such a configuration.

Thanks, I'll have to dig into it someday. Before 384 I used firewall rules to drop all lan access except of the router it self. Then push DNS worked. Any simple reverse rule to give access to routers ip even if the "Internet only" is ticked?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Any simple reverse rule to give access to routers ip even if the "Internet only" is ticked?

You could try manually inserting
Code:
iptables -D INPUT -i tun2+ -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT "$(iptables -nvL INPUT --line -t filter | grep -m 1 "OVPN" | cut -d' ' -f1)" -i tun2+ -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

iptables -nvl INPUT --line

If it works, then automate it from the openvpn-event trigger 'vpnserverX-route-up' script.

Hello, I am starting to suspect I have bad hardware; its an amazon refurb tmo ac68.
I tried to update from 384-5 beta2 to 384-5 final and every time (4+ attempts) the update does not update, and I get a factory default, with no apparent errors.
Every time the router comes back up, it is still on beta 2 and have to go through the setup wizard.
I have even tried the factory reset again (via web gui) before upgrading again.
Since I'm the first to post on this issue, I am guessing it is not something that is happening to others (at least yet).
I'm mainly wondering how or where to start looking to troubleshoot this and determine if this is a hardware issue (ie bad flash or etc).
This router is about a month or so old so far, so I do not have a long history with it.
TM-AC1900 upgraded to RT-AC68U are no longer supported here and all posts and PM regarding to it will be deleted, so nobody can help you in this forum, you'll have to look anywhere else for existing solution, sorry.
There have been hundreds with this problem last 3 months - all gone ...

hmmm. ok. thanks for the clarification.

While I did read the sticky about non-asus devices, I did not notice anything there that states modified carrier branded devices are taboo.

They do after all have asus all over them.

In any case, thanks for the heads up, I'll let it alone.

hmmm. ok. thanks for the clarification.

While I did read the sticky about non-asus devices, I did not notice anything there that states modified carrier branded devices are taboo.

They do after all have asus all over them.

In any case, thanks for the heads up, I'll let it alone.

I'm sure it was ASUS that made changes to the code that sealed the deal. I'm sure that it's the carrier that put pressure on ASUS to do this. There was a lot of people getting that router just for the purpose of changing it over. It was the best deal. I got mine for free and it was a great router. We just made it better by modding it. Now it's done because the carrier won't update the firmware and that means ASUS won't either. I'm stopped at 384.4_2 and to me that is fine as now it's just an AP behind the router. There still may be ways to update it but i'm sure its not without headaches so why bother.:(

Hello, I am starting to suspect I have bad hardware; its an amazon refurb tmo ac68.

I tried to update from 384-5 beta2 to 384-5 final and every time (4+ attempts) the update does not update, and I get a factory default, with no apparent errors.

Every time the router comes back up, it is still on beta 2 and have to go through the setup wizard.

I have even tried the factory reset again (via web gui) before upgrading again.

Since I'm the first to post on this issue, I am guessing it is not something that is happening to others (at least yet).

I'm mainly wondering how or where to start looking to troubleshoot this and determine if this is a hardware issue (ie bad flash or etc).

This router is about a month or so old so far, so I do not have a long history with it.

The firmware checks for available memory before the flash process starts. Check how much free memory you have available before you start the update. I think you have to have at least 128MB free or else it wont start. Remove the USB stick if you have one plugged in. If not try to run the flash routine several times it will eventually work. Also see the link to a thread above me for further help.

Just want to follow up, I was able to get my 68 updated to 384.5 release, thanks for the comments and info.

I also ordered a new ac86u so that will become the primary router and I will likely end up using the 68 and 66 for various AP duties.

Ac86u upgraded from b3,
System log full of error message as below

May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x00; Reg_in: 0x08000000; Reg_out: 0x1800ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x01; Reg_in: 0x08010000; Reg_out: 0x1801ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x02; Reg_in: 0x08020000; Reg_out: 0x1802ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x03; Reg_in: 0x08030000; Reg_out: 0x1803ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x04; Reg_in: 0x08040000; Reg_out: 0x1804ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x05; Reg_in: 0x08050000; Reg_out: 0x1805ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x06; Reg_in: 0x08060000; Reg_out: 0x1806ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x07; Reg_in: 0x08070000; Reg_out: 0x1807ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: SIOCGMIIPHY : Invalid swPort: 16
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x00; Reg_in: 0x08000000; Reg_out: 0x1800ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x01; Reg_in: 0x08010000; Reg_out: 0x1801ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x02; Reg_in: 0x08020000; Reg_out: 0x1802ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x03; Reg_in: 0x08030000; Reg_out: 0x1803ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x04; Reg_in: 0x08040000; Reg_out: 0x1804ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x05; Reg_in: 0x08050000; Reg_out: 0x1805ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x06; Reg_in: 0x08060000; Reg_out: 0x1806ffff
May 15 11:37:57 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x07; Reg_in: 0x08070000; Reg_out: 0x1807ffff

WTFast error is gone after reboot. Thanks for your time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!