What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I saw this JFFS warning a couple times after updating to 384.4-beta 2, and did multiple searches all of SNB and Google. I found 11 instances of that question being asked n SNB, but no replies. I found nothing specific to AsusWRT-Merlin on Google searches. I guess it is nothing to worry about, since it never gets a reply.

Was this reply relevant? RT-AC86U kernel error message

Hello, I am starting to suspect I have bad hardware; its an amazon refurb tmo ac68.

I tried to update from 384-5 beta2 to 384-5 final and every time (4+ attempts) the update does not update, and I get a factory default, with no apparent errors.

Every time the router comes back up, it is still on beta 2 and have to go through the setup wizard.

I have even tried the factory reset again (via web gui) before upgrading again.

Since I'm the first to post on this issue, I am guessing it is not something that is happening to others (at least yet).

I'm mainly wondering how or where to start looking to troubleshoot this and determine if this is a hardware issue (ie bad flash or etc).

This router is about a month or so old so far, so I do not have a long history with it.

Hi there! Today upgraded from 384.4_2 to 384.5 on RT-AC87u. After upgrade router got something like bootloop - power on, few seconds nothing, then ~15 pings succesfull (no web interface, no ssh), after few seconds disconnect -> reboot, and again, and again... Tried all possible solutions (aprox. 1h, with reset to factory of course) - no luck. Finally booted in recovery mode, uploaded previous (384.4_2), uploaded saved config... and router works fine now. Maybe someone got similiar problems?

The message I saw and that was posted above.
Code:
Kernal JFFS warning (843) jffs sum write data: not enough space for summary , padsize = 1047
appears to me to be very different than this error in your link, but I could be mistaken.
Code:
Mar 9 20:10:46 kernel: nf_conntrack: automatic helper assignment is deprecated and it will be removed soon. Use the iptables CT target to attach helpers instead.
Mar 9 20:11:14 kernel: br0: received packet on eth5 with own address as source address
Thank you for the reply.

Code:
Kernal JFFS warning (843) jffs sum write data: not enough space for summary , padsize = 1047
appears to me to be very different than this error in your link, but I could be mistaken.

Post #1 in the thread contains the message you observed, and posts #4 and #3 refer to it.

Post #5 is the reply to post #2 in that thread about different non-JFFS related warning messages.

Hello, I am starting to suspect I have bad hardware; its an amazon refurb tmo ac68.

I tried to update from 384-5 beta2 to 384-5 final and every time (4+ attempts) the update does not update, and I get a factory default, with no apparent errors.

Every time the router comes back up, it is still on beta 2 and have to go through the setup wizard.

Since I'm the first to post on this issue, I am guessing it is not something that is happening to others (at least yet).

I'm mainly wondering how or where to start looking to troubleshoot this and determine if this is a hardware issue (ie bad flash or etc).

This router is about a month or so old so far, so I do not have a long history with it.
Actually, you're not the first to post on this issue: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cant-leave-dd-wrt-really-want-merlin.42776/ Slightly different in that poster is coming from DD-WRT but essentially the same issue with the AC68.

Code:
Code:
Mar 9 20:10:46 kernel: nf_conntrack: automatic helper assignment is deprecated and it will be removed soon. Use the iptables CT target to attach helpers instead.
Mar 9 20:11:14 kernel: br0: received packet on eth5 with own address as source address
Thank you for the reply.

Here it is

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=11&model=RT-AC86U&id=20171202032902724&page=1

Same thing, RMerlin suggested deleting the traffic.db database, I have no idea where to find that?

Post #1 in the thread contains the message you observed, and posts #4 and #3 refer to it.

Post #5 is the reply to post #2 in that thread about different non-JFFS related warning messages.
Ah, ok, I scrolled up and missed message one, my mistake. It was not clear to me that Merlin's reply to delete the traffic.db was related to that post, showing my limited knowledge of this firmware. I am learning however, thanks to help from posters like you, thanks.

My traffic.db, actually TrafficAnalyzer.db is a 0 byte file on my AC86U, likely because I have it stored on my SD card. I have only seen that message once in many Merlin software updates on three different routers in the last year. Here is a link to a screen grab. For some reason my images do not show on SNB forums. https://ibb.co/iuKzRJ

Thanks, but like you Im still learning :)

Do I need to log into my router page to find it?
You will need to use a terminal emulator and use SSH to access it. Many use Putty if on Windows. I use Linux, so a standard terminal works for me.

Code:
ls    -lah    /jffs/t*

-rw-r--r--    1 admin    root           0 May  9  2017 /jffs/traffic.db
Code:
RT-AC86U-4608:/tmp/home/root# ls    -lah    /jffs/t*
ls: /jffs/t*: No such file or directory
Thank you. I have learned through experience and others on SNB that the 86U file structure is a little different than other models.
Code:
RT-AC86U-4608:/tmp/home/root# ls    -lah    /jffs/.sys/T*
drw-rw-rw-    2 mtn_danc root           0 Apr 23 07:27 .
drwxrwxrwx    5 mtn_danc root           0 Apr 21 12:07 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 mtn_danc root           0 Apr 23 07:27 TrafficAnalyzer.db

Do you have a USB drive connected to your router via USB? Mine needs to be unplugged before it will update.

Also a reboot immediately before trying to update can help.

Hi RMerlin!
Is it possible to implement the port aggregation feature of RT-AC88U on a RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U?
It would be a nice feature to have for a next Firmware release.

Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Badboyme.

I have learned through experience and others on SNB that the 86U file structure is a little different than other models.
Code:
RT-AC86U-4608:/tmp/home/root# ls    -lah    /jffs/.sys/T*

-rw-r--r--    1 mtn_danc root           0 Apr 23 07:27 TrafficAnalyzer.db

Consistency ...or the lack of... makes all this stuff 'fun' don't you agree?! :p

This Web History not working thread discusses 'fixes' to the .db files located in '/jffs/.sys' so not sure if you could run the 'TrafficAnalyzer' command before attempting a fix by explicitly deleting its .db?

Also, whilst drastic to the extreme, discussion of the use of the GUI 'Initialize' option may be the last resort which apparently wipes '/jffs/.sys' etc.

Hi RMerlin!
Is it possible to implement the port aggregation feature of RT-AC88U on a RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U?
It would be a nice feature to have for a next Firmware release.

Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Badboyme.
It occurs to me that it isn't intuitively obvious to a newcomer that there are open-source and closed-source bits of the router firmware, and that you (@RMerlin) only are able to modify the open-source bits. It gets mentioned a lot in response to comments and questions, but as far as I can tell, it isn't actually documented anywhere. Maybe something to add to the "About" section of https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/ or perhaps the README or CHANGES files in the zipfiles?

I dunno, maybe people wouldn't read it anyways, but with ASUS moving more and more code to closed-source, that distinction is going to become increasingly important. The way things are going, I fear that in a couple years the remaining open-source code will be so trivial that there won't really be anything than can be meaningfully changed/improved.

I have installed the FW 384.5 in a RT-AC87U, coming from FW 380.69. It is working fine (I configured it from scratch after a reset and a power cycle), so thank you very much RMerlin for your wonderful work!. Our RT-AC87U is still alive thank you to your updates ...

I would like to "abuse" a little bit of your kindness asking for a solution of this problem (it is an ASUS problem, I know, but they have not fixed it for a long time):
In the Network map page ("Client Status" box), the three tabs that read in English Online-Wired-Wireless, fit well in the box, but the Spanish translation makes the menu "broken":

Client Status.jpg

Could it be possible in any of the future updates to change them by (Online= En línea, Wired=Cable, Wireless= Wifi), or at least by the shorter English words?.

I am not asking to translate anything else (I know it is difficult to maintain), but this menu is very annoying having it broken.

Consistency ...or the lack of... makes all this stuff 'fun' don't you agree?! :p

This Web History not working thread discusses 'fixes' to the .db files located in '/jffs/.sys' so not sure if you could run the 'TrafficAnalyzer' command before attempting a fix by explicitly deleting its .db?

Also, whilst drastic to the extreme, discussion of the use of the GUI 'Initialize' option may be the last resort which apparently wipes '/jffs/.sys' etc.
Yes, learning has been a lifelong fun pursuit for me, I truly enjoy it, nothing like a good challenge!

The Web History seems to be part of the QoS, which I no longer use in my apartment after some lifestyle changes. Also the Traffic Analyzer options, I use only the Traffic Monitor part and not the Traffic Statistics, so I'm not sure if this is related to my usage.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!