What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Will try that. @skeal I am not ready for any VPN yet as I am trying to get acceptable performance just as a basic router.
The router you have has a crypto chip in it designed for the client and server on the router only. Try it out its the performance you are looking for.

Observation: I setup the traditional qos on my AC3100. I get no errors pertaining to qos anywhere in my logs. Traditional qos works very well for my needs.
33346479.png

Last edited:
Flashed, rebooted. Merlin & Dnscrypt appear to play nice with each other.
All good thus far.

A huge effort Merlin, go smell the flowers for a while!

Is this considered a major update, or gradual? I wonder if it is worth the trouble to upgrade and restore all settings, or wait if a more major update is coming up soon. Either way well done Merlin, with all your work on this project.

Is this considered a major update, or gradual? I wonder if it is worth the trouble to upgrade and restore all settings, or wait if a more major update is coming up soon. Either way well done Merlin, with all your work on this project.
I suppose that depends on what version you are running now which you don't mention. Unless you were using 384.something before then I'd classify it as major.

I suppose that depends on what version you are running now which you don't mention. Unless you were using 384.something before then I'd classify it as major.

Yeah I'm pretty far behind, this might be a good time for me to upgrade regardless now that I think about it. I just checked and am currently on 380.65_4.

Works great on both my Asus RT-AC86U and RT-AC5300!! Great work Merlin!! Thank you very much!!

Yeah I'm pretty far behind, this might be a good time for me to upgrade regardless now that I think about it. I just checked and am currently on 380.65_4.
Yeah, that would be a major upgrade. You'd most likely need to clear your browser cache for the UI to look properly after updating and you might need to go back to factory settings and reconfigure everything manually if you start getting odd problems. Might even take screenshots of your settings beforehand just in case.

Updated smoothly to 384.5 from 384.4_2.
Thanks for the hard work.

in the Beta 2 release, USB 3.0 storage won't mount without enabling 3.0 reduce interference. did you fix it in this release @RMerlin ?

Since 384 I had a problem with USB 3.0 storage mount. When you hard reboot router and you plug in 3.0 usb storage or flash memory it doesn't mount. After hard reset you have to unplug any usb device from 3.0 port and first let router boot completly after 5 min or so plug any 3.0 USB storage and will work without any problem. When you soft reset from UI then usb will work without any problem don't need unplug it.

==update==
I will do more testing here and report back. I went again to 384.5 and got full speed. Very strange as last time I rebooted it and factory defaulted 384.5 a least 3 times and couldn't get over 36M.

I have a switch going bad. :/ Once I removed it I get blazing speeds! Great work Merlin!

iPhone X on iOS 11.3.1 is refusing to connect to WiFi after the flash. Keeps saying the password is incorrect.

Checked nvram settings and the password is the same as it has always been. Even rest it to something stupid simple and still says incorrect password when trying to join. Was working fin in beta 2.

Room mate with a iPhone 5se on same iOS version connects with no issue.

Resetting all network settings on the iPhone did not fix it.

Using the new iOS 11 feature (https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/06/ios-11-share-your-wifi/) of sending the WiFi password from another device did not work as well (giving the same incorrect password error) so that rules out fat finger keying the password wrong.

EDIT: Issue resolved.

Last edited:
Updated smoothly to 384.5 from 384.4_2.
Thanks for the hard work.

Did the same. Seems fine, though in general I find iOS devices don’t get as good a range on my AC88U under the newer 384 and now 385 branches as they did under 382 and earlier.

That could just be optics though because my Internet speeds were bumped up when I had 384 installed, so maybe the range was always not that great, but I didn’t notice it. I can still usually get over 200 Mbps transfer speeds in my house, just not 300 Mbps unless fairly close to the router.

iPhone X on iOS 11.3.1 is refusing to connect to WiFi after the flash. Keeps saying the password is incorrect.

Checked nvram settings and the password is the same as it has always been. Even rest it to something stupid simple and still says incorrect password when trying to join. Was working fin in beta 2.

Room mate with a iPhone 5se on same iOS version connects with no issue.

Resetting all network settings on the iPhone did not fix it.

Using the new iOS 11 feature (https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/06/ios-11-share-your-wifi/) of sending the WiFi password from another device did not work as well (giving the same incorrect password error) so that rules out fat finger keying the password wrong.

I’ve had the happen before. Usually rebooting the iPhone fixes it.

I’ve had the happen before. Usually rebooting the iPhone fixes it.
Done that about 5-6 times. 3 of them wiping the network settings. Never had this issue before.

Oh well going to watch Westworld. Will mess with this more after.

Done that about 5-6 times. 3 of them wiping the network settings. Never had this issue before.

Oh well going to watch Westworld. Will mess with this more after.

Have you tried power cycling the router?

Have you tried power cycling the router?
Yeah. Blew out all the wireless settings as well as dnsmasq and rebuilt them. No idea what that did but it seemed to fix the issue.

Least I didnt have to factory reset the thing. Was not looking forward to that.

Upgraded my AC68P in MB mode and AC86U wireless router mode; both running perfectly fine now.

After reboots and upgrades, it takes a good 10-20 minutes to come back stably with ping to the MB and router bouncing up and down and the logs showing a lot of entering and exiting promiscuous mode.

I did a quick test of 384.5 to see if SNMP issue was still present on my AC5300 -- unfortunately it still was. I'll stick with 380.70 in the short-term and hold out hope someday it can be corrected under a future 384 release.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!