What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hmmm...everything went off line again. I dont think it worked.

Eh, worth a try. Some users have problems with their Kodi instances and remote apps on their phone and turning on IGMP Snooping helped.

thanks!
I used the wireless scanner, interesting observation is that the channels haven't been changing at all in this code base. My repeaters have been stuck on channel 2 and 3 and my core router was on 4. That's a lot of overlap. Now i wonder if the routers were basically interfering with each other and a neighbor. As soon as i manually moved my core router 2.4ghz to channel 7 which has no overlap the 2.4ghz networks in my area it recoverd and i haven't had any issues for the past 4 to 5 days. Not sure what the wireless interference acceptable means, but I don't think this version of code adjusts for wireless interference at all.

Since i decided to try stock to verify this is a problem with stock, i decided to enable aimesh as well and try it out. Aimesh basically is using the exact same channel as the core router. So another case where the routers can interfere with each other especially if they are heavily used and in close proximity to each other. At this point i would recommend that aimesh be avoided. You are much better off using repeaters on different channels.

Eh, worth a try. Some users have problems with their Kodi instances and remote apps on their phone and turning on IGMP Snooping helped.
Bummer, I had to turn it off. It was disconnecting all my wireless devices.
I wonder if doing a factory reset might do anything, but I have my doubts it will.
It also seems my hard line TV cant get to netflix...very odd

I hope a new update comes out and fixes this... I may have to find a backup router.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Bummer, I had to turn it off. It was disconnecting all my wireless devices.
I wonder if doing a factory reset might do anything, but I have my doubts it will.
It also seems my hard line TV cant get to netflix...very odd

I hope a new update comes out and fixes this... I may have to find a backup router.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

Maybe look at the logs and see if there are any errors? Some saw restored wifi stability after downgrade to 384.3 then reset+reconfigure.

I may
Maybe look at the logs and see if there are any errors? Some saw restored wifi stability after downgrade to 384.3 then reset+reconfigure.
I may have to give that a go...this is just insanely bad at this point.

Hi.. i'm new to this forum.. i would like to ask a question.. when i tried to flash merlin's 384.5 to my ac86u which is currently running on the latest official firmware (3.0.0.4.384.21045) and it failed. is it because the lastest official firmware blocked the firmware flash from merlin as 384.5 is based on the 3.0.0.4.384.20648 official firmware (which is a downgrade flash).
thanks.

Hi.. i'm new to this forum.. i would like to ask a question.. when i tried to flash merlin's 384.5 to my ac86u which is currently running on the latest official firmware (3.0.0.4.384.21045) and it failed. is it because the lastest official firmware blocked the firmware flash from merlin as 384.5 is based on the 3.0.0.4.384.20648 official firmware (which is a downgrade flash).
thanks.

Welcome to the forum.
I have experienced this, both when moving from official firmware to Merlin, & Merlin to official.
I ‘think’ it is somehow related to the web browser being used.
Try a different browser from what is normally used, that has worked for me.

For me, Firefox is the browser I normally use.
Chrome is what works for me with firmware changes, go figure!
Hope this helps....

Welcome to the forum.
I have experienced this, both when moving from official firmware to Merlin, & Merlin to official.
I ‘think’ it is somehow related to the web browser being used.
Try a different browser from what is normally used, that has worked for me.

For me, Firefox is the browser I normally use.
Chrome is what works for me with firmware changes, go figure!
Hope this helps....
thanks for the reply.
i used chrome but it failed. will try with firefox when i got home later.

I'm upgrading from 384.4_2 and it's happen something that never did - after everything is done I'm still on 384.4_2.
I've rebooted the router and tried again - the same result.
Had in the past the same issue on my main AC87U (not on the AP one - see footer), where I solved it by doing a factory reset and minimal config (basically saying OK on all options) and then I could load the new firmware.

Of course another factory reset AFTER the update is absolutely needed to set all the hidden values correctly (with a power cycle to reset the hardware fully) and then a manual re-config need to be done to get back all your needed options.

I don't have AiProtection enabled, but I agree there does appear to be something leaking memory. My free memory is slowly going down since I rebooted the router. It started at 325 MB and is now down to 313 MB.

Down to 305 MB now after 7 days.

I can confirm that my available memory is steadily going down, while the cache stays the same small 22.89MB, the longer that this stays up. I should know within the next day or two what happens when I reach 0 MB Free, so at first blush it appears that there's a memory leak in this code.

upload_2018-6-20_10-35-6.png

I can confirm that my available memory is steadily going down, while the cache stays the same small 22.89MB, the longer that this stays up. I should know within the next day or two what happens when I reach 0 MB Free, so at first blush it appears that there's a memory leak in this code.

View attachment 13508

Free memory is wasted RAM in linux/unix environment since their memory management is too good and they'll free the memory in an instant whenever it's needed.

There is no leak memory is this code and it will free up memory by himself if necessary

It didn’t when my router inexplicably ran out of memory and couldn’t even fork processes. I had to reboot to free up RAM.

For clear:
nvram unset wl_maclist_x
nvram unset wl1_maclist_x
nvram unset wl1_maclist
nvram unset wl0_maclist_x
nvram unset wl_maclist
nvram unset wl0_maclist
nvram set wl_maclist_x=""
nvram set wl1_maclist_x=""
nvram set wl1_maclist=""
nvram set wl0_maclist_x=""
nvram set wl_maclist=""
nvram set wl0_maclist=""
nvram commit
Victory! After this cleaning, the GUI worked without errors. Then I set in the GUI new maclists.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!