What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its strange your setup is forwarded to your 127.0.0.1 instead of 0.0.0.0
Code:
/Volumes/adblocking (at data)/hosts-adblock:36318: 192.168.2.3 ads.olx.com
/Volumes/adblocking (at data)/hosts-adblock:120618: 192.168.2.3 olx.hit.gemius.pl
/Volumes/adblocking (at data)/hosts-adblock:151365: 192.168.2.3 tracking.olx-st.com
/Volumes/adblocking (at data)/hosts-adblock:151366: 192.168.2.3 tracking.olx.com

my hosts file only has 4 olx references

If i filtered by term, the result is:

Jan 26 21:17:59 dnsmasq[26725]: forwarded www.olx.pt to 127.0.0.1
Jan 26 21:17:59 dnsmasq[26725]: reply www.olx.pt is <CNAME>
Jan 26 21:17:59 dnsmasq[28711]: query[A] www.olx.pt from 192.168.1.85
Jan 26 21:17:59 dnsmasq[28711]: forwarded www.olx.pt to 127.0.0.1
Jan 26 21:17:59 dnsmasq[28711]: validation www.olx.pt is ABANDONED
Jan 26 21:17:59 dnsmasq[28711]: reply www.olx.pt is <CNAME>

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk
can you paste the contents of your /etc/dnsmasq.conf

ok.. i see you are using dnscrypt ( hence the 127.0.0.1 upstream server address). the dnscrypt may be your problem rather than AB-solution. Can you see if AB works with dnscrypt off ( or a different server)

ok.. i see you are using dnscrypt ( hence the 127.0.0.1 upstream server address). the dnscrypt may be your problem rather than AB-solution. Can you see if AB works with dnscrypt off ( or a different server)

Yes it was really dnscrypt problem.

I upgraded to the latest version and now everything works.

Thank you very much.

How to test if it is working? any site that it will block for sure? tia
Go to this and choose any website in the position to try and it should say DNS server not working.

Go to this and choose any website in the position to try and it should say DNS server not working.

I've been using Ab Solution for about a week or so now, when i try to visit any website thats blocked i just get blank page in Chrome, not dns server not working. Just wanna double check, getting a blank page i assume means it's working still??

cheers.

I've been using Ab Solution for about a week or so now, when i try to visit any website thats blocked i just get blank page in Chrome, not dns server not working. Just wanna double check, getting a blank page i assume means it's working still??

cheers.
Blank page means blocked --> AB and pixelserv are doing their job on your router.

I've been running AB-Solution 3 on my AC56U for the past few weeks and it's been fantastic. I use WinSCP to edit my white list and then SSH back in to process it. Smooth operation.

I hope you will consider trying to bring it to DD-WRT - I have a Netgear R6700 (same hardware as R7000) with DD-WRT and I would love to run AB-Solution on it. I might have to switch it over to Xwrt just for AB-Solution, though I don't want to lose FQ_CODEL. I tried to get a Pihole running but had issues with static DNS assignment.

In any event, many thanks for this great piece of software!
I still support one D-Link 880L using DD-WRT. I tried various methods I saw on the net for ad blocking on dd-wrt, including the dd-wrt wikis. But could not many of them to work. I ended up implementing the solution as documented on how-to-geek. See these sites for more information:

http://www.howtogeek.com/51477/how-to-remove-advertisements-with-pixelserv-on-dd-wrt/
http://www.8red80.com/improved-adblocking-pixelserv-dd-wrt/

Thank you again @thelonelycoder !!

At the school I support as a volunteer, one of the teachers complained that a testing website no longer displayed content on the pages that have test questions. The site is lg.ouponlinepractice.com. I don't see any ads. It appears to be owned by Oxford University Press oup.com. I first turned off ad blocking solution 3, edited the whitelist file and turned blocking back on. But the same issue occurred. I spent several hours turning off other security such as malware-filter, privacy-filter, country-block, etc to try and find what was causing the problem. I could not find the root cause. So, I went back to the ab-solution menu and selected the edit of the whitelist file menu option. I could see the whilte list entry I made several hours earlier. The next prompt gave me the option to "Process the Whitelist". I selected it. It then displayed the testing questions on the website.

So, it appears that editing the whitelist file, then restarting ab-solution 3 does not pick up new whitelist entries? One has to use the menu option to "Process the Whitelist" for it to take effect? Thanks for clarifying as I thought I have seen others post here that they edit the whitelist file which I understood they were doing it outside the ab-solution 3 menu.

Last edited:
I still support one D-Link 880L using DD-WRT. I tried various methods I saw on the net for ad blocking on dd-wrt, including the dd-wrt wikis. But could not many of them to work. I ended up implementing the solution as documented on how-to-geek. See these sites for more information:

http://www.howtogeek.com/51477/how-to-remove-advertisements-with-pixelserv-on-dd-wrt/
http://www.8red80.com/improved-adblocking-pixelserv-dd-wrt/
Looking at the long winded description of the first link of how to install, and verify and check and setting ticks here and there, one wonders anyone ever gets that up and running.
I am not belittling other script makers, I started off the same way with the predecessor of AB.
But I tried to make AB as simple to use and install as possible.

I really hope to bring this simplicity to other platforms as well at some time in the future, time permitting of course.

Funny thing, the second link about how to install adblocking blocks the site content because I use an ad-blocker.

So, it appears that editing the whitelist file, then restarting ab-solution 3 does not pick up new whitelist entries? One has to use the menu option to "Process the Whitelist" for it to take effect? Thanks for clarifying as I thought I have seen others post here that they edit the whitelist file which I understood they were doing it outside the ab-solution 3 menu.
As outlined in the manual on post 1 on this thread, whitelist.txt entries are deleted from the hosts-adblock list. The blacklist.txt is separately loaded from hosts-adblock into dnsmasq.
Hence the process option, it removes these then restarts dnsmasq.
When using the (u) option or when the hosts update on update day, these whitelisted hosts are removed during the process.

Restarting the router does not help in this case.

Quick quesitons:

1) Do I have to reinstall after firmware upgrade?

2) How to uninstall Pixelserv and AB solution?

Tia

Quick quesitons:

1) Do I have to reinstall after firmware upgrade?

2) How to uninstall Pixelserv and AB solution?

Tia
1 No
2 No easy way, if you have no other scripts than the ones created by AB in /jffs/scripts (they are marked in the file) then delete them, reboot router (and maybe unplug usb device if no longer needed).

1 No
2 No easy way, if you have no other scripts than the ones created by AB in /jffs/scripts (they are marked in the file) then delete them, reboot router (and maybe unplug usb device if no longer needed).

Thanks, I have the following in that directory, dnsmasq.postconf post-mount services-start services-stop wan-start do I delete them all? thanks.

Nothing wrong with your program, I am just going to sell this router and want to revert it back to stock firmware.

Thanks, I have the following in that directory, dnsmasq.postconf post-mount services-start services-stop wan-start do I delete them all? thanks.

Nothing wrong with your program, I am just going to sell this router and want to revert it back to stock firmware.
That's easy then.
Select format jffs in Administration. Reboot. Then restore factory defaults.

That's easy then.
Select format jffs in Administration. Reboot. Then restore factory defaults.

after the reboot, I suppose it will be back to vortex merlin firmware? By the way, right now I am using a SD card reader with 1GB micro SD, if I want to switch the reader to another one. Do I need to switch off router to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.