What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much for your efforts ! I just had a small bug. I already got a dnsmasq.add in my config rep with "strict-order" in it and when your script generates /etc/dnsmasq.conf i had a log message in the wrt admin log that my etc/dnsmasq.conf was not working. I checked and it was screwed because my "strict-order" was at the beginning of another generated line. So I deleted the strict-order and it works. Could you check that ? do i have to jump to another line in my dnsmasq.add ad the end of my file ?

First of all, I want to thank thelonelycoder wholeheartedly for the Ab-solution.

I have just upgraded my AC68U from 380.59 to 380.62_1 with factory reset. After that, I install Entware-NG and this fresh version of AB-solution. Both are working. I then install Pyload and Transmission. Things become weird. Before I can install Transmission, I have to turn off Ab-solution. Otherwise, when I install Transmission, I got "cannot allocate memory" error.

After the installation of Transmission, I can't use it because it seems being killed instantly on router bootup or my manual startup command. After several reboots, I got it work but then I lost Pyload. I tried to restart Pyload manually but I got something like MemoryError. I tried to call out the control panel of Pyload and then I got Segmentation fault. During these 2-3 days, I have my router numerously rebooted. I found that AB-solution, Pyload and Transmission hardly work at the same time.

For the memory issue, I observed that the RAM usage have never exceeded 160MB

About an hour ago, I tried to uninstall AB-solution to check if it is the clue. But Entware didn't work anymore. I'm really out of ideas. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Update:

I finally get Entware to work. Now, Pyload and Transmission also work. I could safely assume the above issue comes from AB-solution.

I might be wrong. The nightmare doesn't end. Transmission runs a short period of time until all of a sudden being killed. I have one BT mission running at that moment. I tried to /opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission restart and it reported done. Right after that, I tried /opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission check, it reported dead. I can't access Transmission WebUI anymore.

I have to stop Pyload before I can regain access to Transmission WebUI. After that, I saw in router's WebUI that only 75MB RAM is used. At the time, I have one BT mission running. It's way far from running out of memory.

Last edited:
installation stops here:
s.2016-11-10 16.39.48.jpg

EDIT: after some minutes all ok ;)

Last edited:
I might be wrong. The nightmare doesn't end. Transmission runs a short period of time until all of a sudden being killed. I have one BT mission running at that moment. I tried to /opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission restart and it reported done. Right after that, I tried /opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission check, it reported dead. I can't access Transmission WebUI anymore.

I have to stop Pyload before I can regain access to Transmission WebUI. After that, I saw in router's WebUI that only 75MB RAM is used. At the time, I have one BT mission running. It's way far from running out of memory.
Are you saying you are still having trouble with pyload and transmission even without AB installed? its starting to look like you have some memory corruption issues due to the firmware upgrade. Although you mention that you are far from running short of memory, the behaviour of transmission is showing all those symptoms. AB3 doesn't have a hugely greater memory footprint than AB1.07 (mostly because of the entware/pixelserv install) and you mentioned that you had AB ,pyload, & transmission peacefully co-existing on an earlier merlin build ( you could try running AB without pixelserv enabled if you think ps is the problem). Dont know if anyone has any ideas how you can test that out before going through the rigmarole of a fresh install. How is your NVRAM usage? weird things start to happen when that maxes out too.
Top 20 nvram hogs by...... nvram show | awk '{print length(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20
Other thing you might do is check your entware path. AB doesn't like it if you have any other name for the entware folder than entware or entware-ng. ( mine was named entware-ng.arm and AB threw a hissy fit) You can quickly check which entware scripts are alive and dead by.....
/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung check

Last edited:
I seem to be getting certificate errors now in my browser.

Issued to *.g.doubleclick.net
Issued by Pixelserv CA
valid from 8/11/2016 to 06/11/2026

If I try and add it I just get the pop again later on IE11

Thank you for the AB-solution!

I have a problem: I've tried to install pixelserv-tls, but it is not starting. So from Putty I uninstalled it: opkg remove pixelserv-tls.

Now if I want to install again pixelserv-tls with "ps" command it doesn't work - error message "pixelserv-tls is not running".

It is possible to install it again?

Thanks!

I have a problem: I've tried to install pixelserv-tls, but it is not starting. So from Putty I uninstalled it: opkg remove pixelserv-tls.

Now if I want to install again pixelserv-tls with "ps" command it doesn't work - error message "pixelserv-tls is not running".

Thanks!
why don't you re-install it using opkg install pixelserv-tls and then run the AB solution install again ( option i) it should detect the existing entware/pixelserv install and modify it to suit.

Last edited:
Half a day away and all hell breaks loose.

Half a day away and all hell breaks loose.
haha...yep. Saying the release thread is quiet was obviously like the kiss of death. Most issues don't seem to be directly related to AB though.

Hello.

If its not too much to ask, could some AC66U owner please post the full content of the file /etc/dnsmasq.conf ?

Thanks.
The content of this file depends on what services are running in AB-Solution. Ad blocking or logging on or off, IPv6 enabled or not.

Thank you very much for your efforts ! I just had a small bug. I already got a dnsmasq.add in my config rep with "strict-order" in it and when your script generates /etc/dnsmasq.conf i had a log message in the wrt admin log that my etc/dnsmasq.conf was not working. I checked and it was screwed because my "strict-order" was at the beginning of another generated line. So I deleted the strict-order and it works. Could you check that ? do i have to jump to another line in my dnsmasq.add ad the end of my file ?
Make sure your entry has at least one empty line after the 'strict-order' directive (or the last entry) in your file.

Thanks!
I cannot check ATM how AB-Solution reacts to your manual interference. What I do know is that it terminated the install with an error. You should have posted that and not reinstalled PS manually.
Now you get the 'not running error' hints it cannot complete the install. Scroll up in the terminal and post the content when you run (ps) again. You might find that this same error has been posted before in this thread (hint: read through it) and you have the solution to your problem.

haha...yep. Saying the release thread is quiet was obviously like the kiss of death. Most issues don't seem to be directly related to AB though.
As you know, as many checks as I have built in, there is always an exception that cannot and will not be possible to forsee and act upon with an automated script. 3500 lines of code in the main script, plus another 1000 for the pixelserv part ought to be enough...

installation stops here:
View attachment 7691

EDIT: after some minutes all ok ;)
That might have been a server delay by yoyo or your router was busy with other stuff atm. It does not only download the file but also do some preprocessing at the same time.

As you know, as many checks as I have built in, there is always an exception that cannot and will not be possible to forsee and act upon with an automated script. 3500 lines of code in the main script, plus another 1000 for the pixelserv part ought to be enough...
I dont know how many times AB3 has been downloaded and installed, but i would hazard a guess that for the vast majority of cases, the install completed without a hitch. AB tests against most expected "standard" situations, but you can't possibly test for every weird and wonderful configuration thats out there. Sometimes we forget our routers are a relatively low powered devices with limited resources and we shouldn't expect too much out of them.

I dont know how many times AB3 has been downloaded and installed, but i would hazard a guess that for the vast majority of cases, the install completed without a hitch. AB tests against most expected "standard" situations, but you can't possibly test for every weird and wonderful configuration thats out there. Sometimes we forget our routers are a relatively low powered devices with limited resources and we shouldn't expect too much out of them.
I have no exact number, nor would I post it here. But since the AB3 release that number has significantly risen.
And jet lag has hit me hard for once. I travel a lot but this time seems different.

I have no exact number, nor would I post it here. But since the AB3 release that number has significantly risen.
And jet lag has hit me hard for once. I travel a lot but this time seems different.
probably your body relaxing after the stress of the release. Normally i don't jet-lag on westbound flights, but it gets me on long hauls in the other direction.

writing the pixelserv-tls startup script
restarting pixelserv-tls to apply changes
Shutting down pixelserv-tls... done.
Starting pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution)... done.
checking if 192.168.0.110 responds
192.168.0.110 responded, continuing

8124667e009f81e156a27ef329d21cee.jpg

Thank you!

probably your body relaxing after the stress of the release. Normally i don't jet-lag on westbound flights, but it gets me on long hauls in the other direction.
Same here, first time it hit me that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.