What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
Can you block a specific ip-address from the GUI (and in the future maybe block countrys)?
Hi
AB solution works by blocking hosts and not IP adresses ... there are a number of scripts floating around if you do a search for country IP blocking.

Hi
AB solution works by blocking hosts and not IP adresses ... there are a number of scripts floating around if you do a search for country IP blocking.

I know, but it had been cool if we could have this function in one nice tool ;-)

I know, but it had been cool if we could have this function in one nice tool ;-)
i know the @thelonelycoder is Swiss, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wants to make the "swiss army knife" of blockers..... i believe this is a little bit out of the remit of the original idea, which is blocking those annoying ads.. in any event, country/malicious IP blocking is best done at the firewall level rather than by DNS poisoning

i know the @thelonelycoder is Swiss, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wants to make the "swiss army knife" of blockers..... i believe this is a little bit out of the remit of the original idea, which is blocking those annoying ads.. in any event, country/malicious IP blocking is best done at the firewall level rather than by DNS poisoning
The term 'The Swiss Army Knife of ...' is frowned upon in my Country. And it is always used by a non-swiss product.
On January 1 next year, a new Swissness law comes into force:
https://www.ige.ch/en/indications-of-source/swissness.html

AB-Solution would pass 100% and I would legally be allowed to fly the Swiss flag with my product.
I won't do it, but the red theme and the website show (a slightly darker) red that is prominent in our flag.

AB-Solution is in essence a blocker only. For Ads and malicious sites.

Last edited:
The term 'Swiss Army Knife of' is frowned upon in my Country. And it is always used by a non-swiss product.
On January 1 next year, a new Swissness law comes into force:
https://www.ige.ch/en/indications-of-source/swissness.html
AB-Solution would pass 100% and I would legally be allowed to fly the Swiss flag with my product.
In won't do it, but the red theme and the website show (a slightly darker) red that is prominent in our flag.

AB-Solution is in essence a blocker only. For Ads and malicious sites.

Very interesting thanks for posting this.

The busybox boys had better think of a better slogan for their product then.... they don't sound very swiss to me... and without further ado, a swiss knife joke
the_utensil_family.jpg

The busybox boys had better think of a better slogan for their product then.... they don't sound very swiss to me... and without further ado, a swiss knife joke
There's this: The Wenger Giant, it was manufactured in the french part of Switzerland.
I believe it is no longer made, and Wenger is now part of Victorinox, the only Company that makes these knives, the real thing.

There's this: The Wenger Giant, it was manufactured in the french part of Switzerland.
I believe it is no longer made, and Wenger is now part of Victorinox, the only Company that makes these knives, the real thing.

Thats insane!...... i've seen pictures of this and always assumed it was just photoshopped. I wonder how many were sold? .... not exactly pocket size. An impressive feat of engineering nonetheless

Thats insane!...... i've seen pictures of this and always assumed it was just photoshopped. I wonder how many were sold? .... not exactly pocket size. An impressive feat of engineering nonetheless
Only designed as a display product, it does not fold closeed completely, some tools are too long to snap into the 'cradle'.
BTW, the real Swiss Army Knife, as we Swiss know it, is the Sackmesser (Pocket Knife). It is given to each member of the Swiss Army, mine is used as a letter opener now and lies right beside me.

ItQL0zE.jpg

Nowadays, the Army model has been upgraded and looks thus:

Aexd1F6.jpg

LOL, with those knives you can just cut the ads out of the internet :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk
Now there's a business idea that might work. I'll talk to my ...
.. Oh...

The check is looking for entries that AB adds in the file:
hosts-adblock
and / or
log-facility
If they are not found, dnsmasq is restarted in the hope they are then present.
If still not found, then your error message is presented.

It is likely that the file /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf is not complete.
It would have these entries:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# DO NOT EDIT this part of the file #
# generated by AB-Solution 3
if [ -d "/tmp/mnt/<YOUR DEVICENAME>" ];then
    source /tmp/mnt/<YOUR DEVICENAME>/adblocking/scripts/ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh
    logger "AB-Solution linked dnsmasq.postconf to ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh"
fi
# end of DO NOT EDIT #

If they are there, reboot the router first and see if AB is up and running.
If not, or partially missing, delete the file and enter 11 in AB, this will regenerate the file.

Thanks for the help, looks like the dnsmask.postconf file had the wrong device name in it. Not sure how mine got changed from sda to sda1, but I just added the 1 to the name and everything started working.

Thanks again!

Still hope @thelonelycoder merge the AB-Solution and AH-Solution (Anti Hacking Solution) to the SAT-Solution (Swiss Army Total Solution) :)
There are no plans for this.
Switzerland celebrates and lives the armed neutrality. No armed swiss soldier may be involved in a combat abroad. Our Army is for defence only.
Anti Hacking and Total World Dominance would need the help of iptables, the firewall, to work.
This is well outside of what I ever plan to do with AB-Solution X.

It'll work with your VPN Provider as is.
Unless your Entware folder is named 'entware-ng.arm' or you have some other seldom used packages installed, there is no need to wait for the release.
Go ahead.

Glad I did not wait much longer to install AB-Solution 3!

Fantastic! Awesome! Incredible! WOW!

This has totally changed my web browsing experience. Web pages load much faster. I consider this an early Christmas gift.

I also installed pixelserv-tls. I already had the IP Pool of my LAN set-up in advance in anticipation of the install per the How to best run pixelserv tls on Asuswrt Merlin wiki. Excellent job on the scripting and error checking!

Thank you very much. I am very GRATEFUL! PayPal donation coming your way!

upload_2016-12-20_11-35-32.jpeg

And, to add to the humor...

th

Last edited:
Based on the content in this thread lately, the thread title will be renamed to 'Story Time' and moved to the General/Other discussions Forum!

Thanks for the help, looks like the dnsmask.postconf file had the wrong device name in it. Not sure how mine got changed from sda to sda1, but I just added the 1 to the name and everything started working.

Thanks again!
A case of Binary revolution? Not liking 1's in the file? It will forever be a mystery.

In the system they are known as /dev/sda1 ... sda2 etc. If the device has an assigned name it will be mounted under that name (/tmp/mnt/<device name>). If not, sda1 or sdb1 will be used.
AFAIK the name sda is never given to an attached device. I might be wrong though.

Hi TheLonelyCoder,

Im trying to install this on a RT-N66U running John his fork.
I formatted a USB stick to EXt3 and used the CURl method to download the file.
During install it erros with the mention the device is in read-only file system.
When starting the menu i have to press "22" to see the faults.

See the the output of the code.

Code:
AB-Solution message:
 Error(s) found. Type 22 and hit [Enter]
--------------------------------------------------

What do you want to do?

input is not an option

What do you want to do?   22

checking AB-Solution installation

checking /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
 file found
 content looks good

checking /jffs/scripts/post-mount
 file found
 content looks good

checking ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh
 file found
 content looks good

checking white and black list
 files found, no further checks

checking hosts-adblock
./ab-solution.sh: line 60: 5: Bad file descriptor
admin@RT-N66U-3D08:/tmp/home/root#

Code:
hosts file needs an update, running [u] now
 in silent mode

/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add: line 104: can't create /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/backup/hosts_file1: Read-only file system
-                                                             8%[==========>                                                                                                                                ]  41.94K  84.8KB/s   in 0.5s
rm: remove '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/backup/hosts_file1'?
cp: can't create '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/backup/hosts_file1': File exists
/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add: line 104: can't create /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/temp_hosts: Read-only file system
/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add: line 104: can't create /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/backup/hosts_file2: Read-only file system
-                                                               [<=>                                                                                                                                        ]       0  --.-KB/s
-                                                               [  <=>                                                                                                                                      ]  62.93K   115KB/s   in 0.5s
cp: can't create '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/backup/hosts_file8.bak': File exists
/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add: line 104: can't create /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/temp_hosts: Read-only file system
/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add: line 104: can't create /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/backup/hosts_file9: Read-only file system
-                                                            22%[=============================>                                                                                                             ]  37.72K  94.6KB/s   in 0.4s
cp: can't create '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/backup/hosts_file9.bak': File exists
dos2unix: can't create temp file '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/temp_hostsUbja4V': Read-only file system
/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add: line 144: can't create /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/hosts-adblock: Read-only file system
rm: remove '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/temp_hosts'? cat: can't open '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/hosts-adblock': No such file or directory
sed: can't create temp file '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/.config/ab-solution.cfgIbDNLg': Read-only file system
sed: can't create temp file '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/.config/ab-solution.cfgbfJ3YK': Read-only file system
/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/rotate-logs.add: line 63: can't create /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log: Read-only file system
kill: you need to specify whom to kill
sed: can't create temp file '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/.config/ab-solution.cfg2UUVlf': Read-only file system
sed: can't create temp file '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/.config/ab-solution.cfgiz1QOK': Read-only file system
sed: can't create temp file '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/.config/ab-solution.cfggEfnq6': Read-only file system
sed: can't create temp file '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/.config/ab-solution.cfgFKKFZP': Read-only file system
touch: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log1: Read-only file system
touch: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log2: Read-only file system
/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/rotate-logs.add: line 63: can't create /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log2: Read-only file system
mv: can't rename '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log': Read-only file system
sed: can't create temp file '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/.config/ab-solution.cfgshdepN': Read-only file system
sed: can't create temp file '/tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/.config/ab-solution.cfgoXX9kM': Read-only file system
 hosts-adblock file not found

checking ab-solution.cfg
 file found
 content looks good

checking update-hosts.add
 file found
 content looks good

checking rotate-logs.add
 file found
 content looks good

checking cron job hosts update
 content looks good

checking cron job log rotate
 content looks good
chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/scripts/ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/rotate-logs.add: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/rotate-logs.add.old: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add.old: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/ab-solution.sh: Read-only file system

checking symlink state
 file found
 content looks good

checking dnsmasq.conf
 file found
 adblocking state looks good
 logging state looks good

Errors found.
 Read the check's output for clues.

chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/scripts/ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/rotate-logs.add: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/rotate-logs.add.old: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add.old: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/Adblock/ab-solution.sh: Read-only file system
 reading services state
 starting UI

Another question, at home i have everything running "fine" with the pixlserv option to block HTTPS adds.
The downside is that on every https page it opens i get 4 or 5 certificate errors on my phone.
Any tips on how to get rid of these errors?

Thx for looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.