What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.61 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What i mean is will this latest custom firmware stop me from flashing anything lower if i wanted too?

This is taken from Merlins first post on this thread:
"This is the first official release that supports Asus's new firmware format. This means that you can directly flash this version on top of Asus's 3.0.0.4.380_3xxx and newer. Reverting to an older version will require putting your router in firmware recovery mode."

I would say you can go back but only using the recovery mode

This version still dropping media streaming services, and now you can't flash back older firmwares only the hard way. This is retarded.

This version still dropping media streaming services, and now you can't flash back older firmwares only the hard way. This is retarded.

Then where were you when I had a beta build specifically for media streaming? Those who tested did report it resolved their issues, so there's a chance the problem might be with your setup rather than minidlna. If minidlna isn't compatible with your DLNA client, then there's nothing I can do. Change the client, or change to a different DLNA server.

Then where were you when I had a beta build specifically for media streaming? Those who tested did report it resolved their issues, so there's a chance the problem might be with your setup rather than minidlna. If minidlna isn't compatible with your DLNA client, then there's nothing I can do. Change the client, or change to a different DLNA server.

I wouldn't like to try out beta firmwares in a work environment, specially not if it's like this and a pain in the butt to revert. I've also regret putting this one up already.

With 380.58_0 I don't have any issues streaming stuff, any newer vesion drops the source after random 5-15-30 minutes. I use a main router, which goes into an AP that goes into a Samsung TV. Removing the AP won't change/solve anything. I use Samsung AllShare, but it drops the link even with SamsungLink. My router is RT-AC87U.

Also whats the point preventing to rollback to older firmwares? Makes no sense to me, if you can do it with recovery.

Last edited:
I've gotten disconnected from Xbox a few times and my son has the same problem on counter strike on his computer. Don't think it's the FW though. Could it be trend micro that I have enabled in my 1900P?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: our
With 380.58_0 I don't have any issues streaming stuff, any newer vesion drops the source after random 5-15-30 minutes. I use a main router, which goes into an AP that goes into a Samsung TV. Removing the AP won't change/solve anything. I use Samsung AllShare, but it drops the link even with SamsungLink. My router is RT-AC87U.

Samsung's smart TV code has always been really poor. They fail to follow protocol standards, they decided it was a "good idea" to request a favicon.ico from DLNA servers (even tho that's not defined anywhere in the DLNA specifications). Their engineers are so clueless that they are requesting a DHCP lease with a hostname of... "localhost". That tells me a lot about the quality of their code, quite frankly.

Minidlna already has to implement various workarounds to deal with bugs in Samsung's implementation. Ultimately, the bugs are with their code, not everyone else's.

Also whats the point preventing to rollback to older firmwares? Makes no sense to me, if you can do it with recovery.

Since June, manufacturers are required to ensure that routers are only accepting firmware versions that have locked down radio configurations to prevent changing regions/channels/output power levels. Since previous firmwares didn't follow these new rules, Asus set up a cutoff date where pre-validation firmwares are no longer accepted. That does not mean you cannot rollback - only that you cannot rollback to firmware versions that were released before the new FCC rules. Browse through the forums, this has already been discussed at large extent over the past months leading to these new rules.

Does that make sense? Ping is a tool, MTU quite an important connection setting for WAN....

Why would we want Merlin to waste his time on that?

MTU settings are already provided in the WAN configuration page where they belong.

guys, it's obvious that you can set it under the WAN menu -_- have a sense to have this option if you want optimize your MTU size...

Or, if you want to "experiment" simply ssh into the router and run the ping command by hand with the -s (size) option: .........
As a side, I just tried the above. Google stops responding at 85 byte packets, Yahoo seemed to take almost anything I sent to it.

Thanks Grana for your polite answer, that's right, we can anyway use additional tools and that's what i did...

From some point (which I've missed really), it's no longer possible to manage DMaster's torrents via Transmission remote GUI. Whatever you put into the settings.json, it always fails with the "Connection refused" error. If you delete settings.json file and restart the DMaster, you're able to connect until the settings file got rebuilt.
IIRC it worked well in .58 but I can't recall the DMaster version.

Samsung's smart TV code has always been really poor. They fail to follow protocol standards, they decided it was a "good idea" to request a favicon.ico from DLNA servers (even tho that's not defined anywhere in the DLNA specifications). Their engineers are so clueless that they are requesting a DHCP lease with a hostname of... "localhost". That tells me a lot about the quality of their code, quite frankly.

Minidlna already has to implement various workarounds to deal with bugs in Samsung's implementation. Ultimately, the bugs are with their code, not everyone else's.

How come it works perfectly with 58.0 then? I can watch movies for months without any issue, but as soon as I try a newer firmware I get drops all the time. Also I don't think the issue is with the TV connection itself, the router can see the TV perfectly all the time and I don't loose the net connection either, it only drop the vitrually mounted folders whitin the streaming link. I know that Samsung software is shirt, but SamsungLink is even more shirt thats why I'm stuck with AllShare.
http://samsung-allshare.en.lo4d.com/

Since June, manufacturers are required to ensure that routers are only accepting firmware versions that have locked down radio configurations to prevent changing regions/channels/output power levels. Since previous firmwares didn't follow these new rules, Asus set up a cutoff date where pre-validation firmwares are no longer accepted. That does not mean you cannot rollback - only that you cannot rollback to firmware versions that were released before the new FCC rules. Browse through the forums, this has already been discussed at large extent over the past months leading to these new rules.

But why do a custom firmware has to follow this rule? I don't use custom one to tie my hands even more. I could have imagine a better way to spend 30 minutes before I figured it out that the recovery mode only eats firmware when plugged into the 4th port.

Last edited:
guys, it's obvious that you can set it under the WAN menu -_- have a sense to have this option if you want optimize your MTU size...

Thanks Grana for your polite answer, that's right, we can anyway use additional tools and that's what i did...
Also, you can simply manage your MTU by Ping from a client. No need to do this through the router GUI.

How come it works perfectly with 58.0 then? I can watch movies for months without any issue, but as soon as I try a newer firmware I get drops all the time. Also I don't think the issue is with the TV connection itself, the router can see the TV perfectly all the time and I don't loose the net connection either, it only drop the vitrually mounted folders whitin the streaming link. I know that Samsung software is shirt, but SamsungLink is even more shirt thats why I'm stuck with AllShare.
http://samsung-allshare.en.lo4d.com/

But why do a custom firmware has to follow this rule? I don't use custom one to tie my hands even more. I could have imagine a better way to spend 30 minutes before I figured it out that the recovery mode only eats firmware when plugged into the 4th port.

It's all firmware that must adhere to FCC regulations, custom or not.

RT-AC3200 updated from 380.60_beta2 to 380.61 today with no issues.

However the reason I came looking was that my USB automount had stopped working again overnight under 60_beta2.

No amount of reboots or unplug/replug of USB seemed to help. Nothing appearing in /tmp/mnt.

Flashed the upgrade, came back up perfectly including USB mount. So far seems great, all responding snappily.

Merlin any ideas on this one? Happy to put this in separate thread if preferred.

I've been experiencing an issue with my iTunes-Server where it will just drop of the network. A restart of the service soon makes it available again.

Does anyone know how best to look into this? I have an RT-N66U running Merlins latest 380.61 release. Does the router log DLNA activity?

2 days uptime and no issues to report. I upgraded from 380.58-> 380.61 release on a RT-AC68U H/W rev B1

upgrade steps..
1) backup with John's awesome nvram backup
2) reset to defaults
3) upgrade 380.58 -> 380.61 release
4) restore settings with John's nvram backup util
5) reboot

*Edit* Thanks RMerlin and John!

Last edited:
59 -> 61 update with my AC87U unit. 27 hours of uptime so far and it's working without an issue.

And if you hate it so much, you can totally download the GPL source code on your own, remove the restriction and compile it on your own, to whatever the heck you want.

And if you hate it so much, you can totally download the GPL source code on your own, remove the restriction and compile it on your own, to whatever the heck you want.
I wouldn't care if i didn't had to rollback, but i did.

But you are suggesting me to download and modify a firmware thats causing issues for me, just so i can downgrade from it? Makes no sense.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!