What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Upgraded to from 380.65_4 to 380.66_2 after reading this version come with more security fixes. Wifi connections are stable with many many wireless devices - Android phones , iPhones, laptops, wireless printer and media player. Setup Ac88u as wifi router with Ac68u and Rt66u in repeater mode. Kudos to Merlin for your hard work!

RT-AC68U working fine with 380.66_2. Internet, voIP and IPTV with no issues. OpenVPN 100% OK. Great job Merlin, thanks you

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

This popped up in the log file. Any idea what it is?

rc_service: rc 7777:notify_rc restart_wrs

I am having the same issue now with latest 380.66 on my AC88U. It starts off fine then about 24 hours later my Android devices will keep disconnecting and reconnecting. Only a reboot will fix the issue. I set up a daily reboot schedule in the meantime to hopefully alleviate the issue until I find out whats going on.
Today I'm seeing not only android but my laptops on 5ghz will either get dropped or cannot connect to anything. If I drop them to 2.4ghz they connect fine and can get out on the internet. My router just rebooted via the scheduler several hours ago so I'm contemplating rolling back to 380.66 and if it happens again I'll just roll back to 380.65.

Edit: Rolled back to 380.66 and everything reconnected on 5ghz straight away. I will monitor the behavior to see if they start disconnecting again but I've never had my laptop just drop off like that and its running an intel ac7260 Wi-Fi card.

Last edited:
Show them the power plug. Very effective and no password required!

The problem is viceversa. If the router restart for some reagion (missing power, someone who unplug it...) you need the password for manually restarting the NFS!

I have a problem with this latest release 66.2 only, but first...

I would like to thank Merlin for the continued effort to improve and release great firmware.

...ok, on to the issue, which is with lack of discovery of my HP AirPrint printer, or perhaps lack of Bonjour broadcasts, which in turn requires IGMP Snooping enabled (which it is enabled for both frequencies) and working correctly.

I have used many versions of Merlin's firmware with my RT-AC88U routers with no issues. I have two of this model router: One is installed in "Wireless router mode (default) Bridge;" (main) the other in "Access point(AP) mode" (AP). I have previously used 65.4 on both routers, with IGMP snooping enabled on both units, and no issues with discovery of my HP AirPrint-enabled printer. When I upgrade the (main) router to 66.2, I can discover and print to my AirPrint-enabled printer, however, when I upgrade the (AP) router, I can no longer discover the AirPrint printer. Even if I turn off IGMP Snooping on the (AP), I cannot discover the printer. On the other hand, if I leave the (main) router running 66.2, and revert the (AP) to 65.4, I can discover and print to the AirPrint-enabled printer. BTW, in this working configuration, IGMP Snooping is enabled on both units for both frequencies.

What other information can I obtain to help resolve this issue?

This popped up in the log file. Any idea what it is?

rc_service: rc 7777:notify_rc restart_wrs

Trend Micro's Web Reputation Service.

The problem is viceversa. If the router restart for some reagion (missing power, someone who unplug it...) you need the password for manually restarting the NFS!

Create an init-start or services-start with a very long sleep (like 5 minutes) to restart NFS.

Thanks. Isn't that something that needs to be enabled? I never turned that on.

The restart command probably gets issued whenever a signature upgrade occurs or you change settings on a page with related parameters. If the service isn't enabled, then the service request will simply be ignored by the router.

Edit: Airtime fairness has been disabled but I did not do a factory reset. I've noticed other things like wireless devices have trouble connecting to the router like its rejecting their logon and then after a series of attempts it finally allows the connection.

I'm going to try it again so I just reflashed to _2 and then soft reset the router leaving it unplugged for a minute or so before rebooting it. When it came back up it accepted the connection with my note 2 right away so I will have to watch and see how it behaves now.

Last edited:
Feature Request regarding the following fix in 380.66: New outbound connections weren't logged if firewall logging was enabled.

Request: option to exclude logging of new outbound connections if firewall logging is enabled.

Reason:
1) My Synology acting as syslog server will not hibernate at all anymore with so frequent outbound connections from my "sleeping" ipad, chromecast and NAS itself, even though logging to usbstick. The issue is actually Synology's LogCenter I think, so this request is some kind of a workaround.
2) I cannot simply turn off logging of accepted packets because that is required for the port specific WOL script that I use.
(https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/WOL-Script-Wake-Up-Your-Webserver-On-Internet-Traffic)

Last edited:
While my OpenVPN tunnel appears to be up, it's status is not updated correctly. The status page continues to show as "Error connecting - Authentication failed"
Using RT-AC5300 / 380.66_2

While my OpenVPN tunnel appears to be up, it's status is not updated correctly. The status page continues to show as "Error connecting - Authentication failed"
Using RT-AC5300 / 380.66_2

This happens if there is a problem with re-authentication. This is already fixed in my current development code.

Don't know if I am doing something wrong, but if I enable the DNS based filtering with opendns home, I am not able to resolve any IP to DNS.. As soon as I disable the DNS based filtering, everything is working again. First tried to change the DNS server which the router should use under LAN->DHCP-Server but that will add the new DNS servers to the dhcp offer and the client will directly ask the dns servers instead of the router for the dns name.

DNS based filtering OFF
nslookup google.de
Server: RT-AC88U-DDF0
Address: 192.168.1.1

Nicht autorisierende Antwort:
Name: google.de
Addresses: 2a00:1450:4016:800::2003

DNS based filtering ON with OpenDNS Home selected
nslookup google.de
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.1

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Zeitüberschreitung bei Anforderung an UnKnown.

PS: Found the right setting under WAN->WAN-DNS for me ;)

A second question: Doesn anyone have a problem with opening the router gui with the latest firefox? Suddenly the ff starts completly freezing when I am opening the website from the router.. IE11 is working with no problems.

Third question: I was used to from my avm fritzbox router that when I rename the clients in the router gui I was able to access them afterwards with the new name. Thats not possible with the asus router?

Last edited:
No issues with the newest version of FF and the router gui.

Create an init-start or services-start with a very long sleep (like 5 minutes) to restart NFS.

Thank you Merlin!
Unlucky I cannot understand which commannd I have to insert into the services-start script for restarting the NFS daemon (nfsd).
If you can tell me I can try your solution

Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!