What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available for all supported models. The focus of this release was the partial migration to OpenSSL 1.1.1 (not all services can be migrated by me, as some would require Asus to recompile them against OpenSSL 1.1.1).

April 3rd 2019:: 384.10_2 is now available. Changes since 384.10:
Code:
  - CHANGED: Increased OpenVPN interface queue length from 100
             to 1000 bytes, to reduce the amount of dropped
             packets if router can't keep up.
  - CHANGED: Updated CA bundle to January 23rd version
  - FIXED: Moviestar VLAN routes weren't properly configured
           (broken quagga configuration)
  - FIXED: Layout issues on the Wireless Log page for some
           models
  - FIXED: Missing tooltip content for the new local DNS
           resolution setting on the Tweak page
  - FIXED: FAQ URL on Bandwidth Monitor points to a non-existing
           page on Asus's servers (point to old page for now)
  - FIXED: OpenVPN CA would be overwritten if there was no
           server key or cert present - only generate them
           if all three are missing.
  - FIXED: Bandwidth Limiter not working properly in some
           cases, as it failed to disable hardware acceleration

The highlight:
  • Added OpenSSL 1.1.1b in parallel to 1.0.2. The most relevant services linked against 1.1.1:
    o httpd (the webui)
    o OpenVPN
    o In-a-dyn
    o Strongswan
    o Netatalk
    o vsftpd
    o net-snmp
    o Tor
    o wget

The userspace "openssl" tool is called openssl11.
  • Merged with GPL 384_5640 (RT-AX88U)
  • Updated components: OpenSSL 1.0 (1.0.2r), OpenVPN (2.4.7), curl (7.64.0), Tor (0.3.5.8), Strongswan (5.7.2). dnsmasq (2.80-g6799320)
  • Fixed Samba compatibility issue with recent Tuxera NTFS driver.
  • Fixed NFSv2 support (and enabled on HND models).
  • Enhancements to OpenVPN key/certs storage and management
  • Enhancements to Classification page, which should be faster, and offer filtering
  • Various other fixes and tweaks

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Notes:

• Please note that the https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/ website will be down a few hours on March 26th as my hosting provider migrates some of their customers to a newer server. This won't affect the downloads, which are stored on Sourceforge and Onedrive, or the update notification which is hosted on a separate VPS.
  • For now I have decided to move the dnsmasq error messages into Debug priority, to at least hide them from view. I've given up for now on fixing it, but since apparently stock firmware is also affected, hopefully Asus's devs will be able to pick this one up.
  • This release resolved the issue where OpenVPN key/certs might sometimes end up stored in nvram (in addition to their proper jffs location), which would result in a lot of wasted nvram. I have also removed the nvram instances of these nvram values, to save even more nvram. To clean up your router, you can run the following script:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

echo "Removing unused cert/key from nvram..."

for i in 1 2 3 4 5
    do
       nvram unset vpn_crt_client$i\_ca
       nvram unset vpn_crt_client$i\_extra
       nvram unset vpn_crt_client$i\_crt
       nvram unset vpn_crt_client$i\_key
       nvram unset vpn_crt_client$i\_crl
       nvram unset vpn_crt_client$i\_static
    done

for i in 1 2
    do
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_ca
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_dh
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_ca_key
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_extra
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_client_crt
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_crl
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_crt
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_key
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_static
       nvram unset vpn_crt_server$i\_client_key
    done

nvram commit

echo "done."

Last edited:
Uploaded to RT AC-5300. Dirty flash from Beta 3. So far, so good...
Noted in Beta 3 and this final that RAM usage is up 10-11% (63% vs. 52 before cut over). After 30 minutes or so, the RAM usage fell back to 52%. During this whole time, CPU usage was never higher than 3 % in either core.
I will watch over the next several days and see how it runs.
Thanks, Eric!

Adaptive QoS
Ah. Ok. Thanks, thats why i didn't recognize that page title, I don't use QOS....was thinking maybe was talking about device info page like network map or something.

Smooth update from beta 3 on RT-AC87u
Thank you RMerlin

Works fine on a RT-AC86U (only the ASUS bug present) and RT-AC68U :)

Flashed RT-AC86U from 384.10_beta3 to 384.10, Factory reset and manually reconfigured

All looks good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dirty upgraded on RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U & RT-AC87U and all running. AX88U seems to be running quite better with this version even with less RAM usage.

Thanks @RMerlin

I am now among the dirty flashers reporting satisfaction. If you're a QoS user, once it catches up, strap in and enjoy the ride

@RMerlin - why only NFSv2? why not v4?

Last edited:
Dirty flash on 86U from beta 3 to release. Client VPN issues were resolved, not from beta 3. Thank you Eric!

AC87U - upgrade failed because of invalid file. ZIP extracted fine, but router's GUI displayed error during upload: Invalid Firmware Upload. However, reboot fixed it, dirty-flashed without any problems then.

Observation: (and lesson learned) If you own a AX88U and have the 2.4g wifi configured as "Legacy" for using legacy devices, the HE frame support disables itself for both networks. The 2.4g removes the feature from the settings page and although the feature is shown on the 5g settings page it is disabled. Not sure if this is by design. ;):)

The issue with the 5G radio not working from factory reset is still present. I flashed version .10 twice, factory reset and only 2G radio is present. If I flash Asus version 384_5640 and then factory reset, the 5G radio is present.

On the Merlin version, I have to change the channel from the default of 36 to a higher channel (I used 153) and then the 5G radio appears. Anyone else seeing this? Also just to add AX is unchecked and 160 MHz is unchecked by default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, dear Mr. RMerlin,
I am a long-time satisfied user of "AsusWRT-Merlin Firmware" with my RT-AC88U. I was always very satisfied. Except a few minor errors in the OPENVPN. From AsusWRT 384.9 and now at 384.10 the "DownloadMaster" is missing. Will that be maintained again?
I know it's not easy !!!
Thank you for the great work done so far!
Yours sincerely
H. John
I'm sorry for my bad English!

[ATTACH = voll] 16680 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = voll] 16681 [/ ATTACH]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aktueller Router: RT-AC88U

Attachments

• DownloadMaster_fehlt.jpg
    DownloadMaster_fehlt.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 615
  • DownloadMaster__fehlt.jpg
    DownloadMaster__fehlt.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
The issue with the 5G radio not working from factory reset is still present. I flashed version .10 twice, factory reset and only 2G radio is present. If I flash Asus version 384_5640 and then factory reset, the 5G radio is present.

On the Merlin version, I have to change the channel from the default of 36 to a higher channel (I used 153) and then the 5G radio appears. Anyone else seeing this? Also just to add AX is unchecked and 160 MHz is unchecked by default.

Try these settings.

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U   General.png
    ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U General.png
    375.8 KB · Views: 906

I also noticed it takes well over a minute for the 5g network to initialize and come up.

I am now among the dirty flashers reporting satisfaction. If you're a QoS user, once it catches up, strap in and enjoy the ride

@RMerlin - why only NFSv2? why not v4?

V4 requires too much additional components to the firmware, and would only be supported by the RT-AX88U's newer kernel. V2 was already there, it was just broken.

I don't want to devote any more time on NAS functionalities since the router makes for a poor NAS, and only focus on fixing/tweaking what is already supported.

Not sure if this is by design.

HE frames are a 802.11ax only feature.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!