What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.11 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin, did you say earlier in the thread that there was some merge that wasn't done properly on 384.11? Should we wait for a minor version bump (384.11.1) before updating (if we haven't already updated)?

The issue only affects the Network Analysis page under Network Tools, don't let that stop you unless for some reason who need to rely on this page on a regular basis. It's just two build time options related to Network Tools that didn't get properly disabled in the merge. Everything else is fine.

i think that DoT test only works when you are running it on the client itself. this is normal

The test uses a broken DNSSEC record, and since dnsmasq defaults to strict validation, it causes the test to fail.

Cloudflare have already been notified a few weeks ago, but so far no sign as to how/when/if they will ever fix it.

You're right... I had the same trouble, then i found:

Funny I hadn’t looked at the linked test site. I was looking at this because I had already tried it, and I thought he was referencing that.

Edit: Now I wonder if I didn’t hit apply when I turned on DNSSEC, because that test says it’s working for me.

Best to leave on USB 3. Quite a few drives are not compatible with the forced downgrade to USB3, and will fail to mount.

Has the interference been fixed then, on the 2.4GHz band on recent routers? Or, on all routers with recent firmware?

Updated both my 86's with 384.11. Factory reset + clean install. Not even a glitch...smooth as silk.
Thanks a lot for your hard work Eric.

Has the interference been fixed then, on the 2.4GHz band on recent routers? Or, on all routers with recent firmware?

no it has not. I have 3 wifi plugs and modules around 30 metres from my router in back shed. With multiple drives connected using USB3.0 mode I do not have any connection to these 2.4ghz devices - the RSSI is way down into the noise. With USB 2.0 mode the RSSI is within the noise threshold and I can reliably connect to these devices 100% of the time

You can just go into the Network Tools page, Netstat Tab, Select TCP Sockets for the option, and click the Netstat button. Then, you should see calls to your DNS resolvers using port 853 which DoT uses.
Great tip! Works for me! Thanks.

Thanks for the test. DoT works great, when I run the test on port 53 with tcpdump and surfing the web , nothing go through this port.
Once I run this test on port 853 and watching on the window while surfing, I see all the traffic go through this port (853)...

So the setup works great and simple (DNSFilter is off, Connect to DNS Server automatically=YES...):

QrsE7ki.png

LAN->DHCP SERVER->DNS and WINS Server Setting (no need to change anything )
ZBKqUUM.png

kqeNCUO.png

The window is open while I am opening various websites , nothing changes (no traffic goes through PORT:53)

hhy7jMN.png

The traffic go through port 853 :

9ZB4GfS.png

So all good, not complicated as stated before

Welcome to the forum.

I haven’t yet updated; away from home, but your screenshots are helpful.
Used to be that setting “Connect to DNS server automatically”, which you have set at Yes, sent you to your ISP’s DNS server and the windows to set DNS Servers 1 and 2 to your own choice stayed hidden. Consequently, I had it set to No. How does that now relate to DNS over TLS and the server list at the bottom?

It's not just a router issue, it's also a USB device issue. A poorly shielded USB cable or a plastic USB enclosure can still potentially interfere. For instance, I couldn't plug a USB thumbdrive on my monitor's USB hub without my wireless mouse becoming problematic - I had to move the mouse receiver to a port on my PC - far away from the monitor.

Personally, I have never encountered any issue with my routers whenever I tested for 2.4 GHz-related interference while using a USB3 drive plugged to it.

I think there is a bug trying to enable AIProtection --> Parental Controls --> Enable Time Scheduling

I tried with restoring to Factory Defaults after updating 384.11. Refreshed browser with Firefox and tried IE. Still the same.

Only show a blank "System Time" row that's it, on my RT-AX88U. Anyone else having the same?

Noise threshold for 2.4ghz when USB 3.0 mode selected = -72 dBm RSSI
Noise threshold for 2.4 ghz when USB 2.0 selected = -92dBm RSSI

obviously this affects any wifi clients between -73 to -91 dBm RSSI - my wifi clients in back shed are at -90dBm RSSI - therefore USB 2.0 mode is the only way I get stable connection. Not only that but in 3.0 mode the three drives I have connected do not mount automatically - on 2.0 mode no issues whatsoever mounting from a reboot

Changed my USB 3.1 stick to mode 3 (from 2). No apparent differences.
Wifi as per normal......

The stick does have a metal case, which may help?
different router for a start plus I have a USB 3.0 4 port expansion hub hanging from the 3.0 usb port on router - plastic - plus it will only affect client devices on or near noise threshold

Last edited:
different router for a start plus I have a USB 3.0 4 port expansion hub hanging from the 3.0 usb port on router - plastic - plus it will only affect client devices on or near noise threshold
Didn't know you could use a USB hub, it might help me.
Currently I have a 32GB SSD connected to the 3.0 USB port with entware/Diversion/2GB swap file. A 500 GB HDD connected to the 2.0 USB port.
When I need to print/scan something (not so often) I unmount the HDD and connect the multifunction printer to the 2.0 USB port.

Would you mind sharing the model you bought and insights?

Thanks

Didn't know you could use a USB hub, it might help me.
Currently I have a 32GB SSD connected to the 3.0 USB port with entware/Diversion/2GB swap file. A 500 GB HDD connected to the 2.0 USB port.
When I need to print/scan something (not so often) I unmount the HDD and connect the multifunction printer to the 2.0 USB port.

Would you mind sharing the model you bought and insights?

Thanks

Any 4 into 1 powered hub 3.0 from Ebay will work - there are many chinese variants to choose from - most will work just fine. A powered hub is better than a non powered hub especially if your planning on using all 4 ports - there are 7 into 1 powered hubs available as well.

All good here on 384.11 with 87u :)
Thanks RMerlin & themiron

Just tested DoT with the new firmware and all working fine here. Just to be sure, do the WAN DNS servers and IPv6 DNS servers get overwritten by the DoT configured servers?

I also use a chromecast at home, would I break it's functionality if I would enable DNSfiltering and force it to use the Router or is it better to exclude such devices from the DNS filter?

Just tested DoT with the new firmware and all working fine here. Just to be sure, do the WAN DNS servers and IPv6 DNS servers get overwritten by the DoT configured servers?

I also use a chromecast at home, would I break it's functionality if I would enable DNSfiltering and force it to use the Router or is it better to exclude such devices from the DNS filter?

I have a similar setup and my chromecast works just fine with DNSfilter set to Router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!