What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.11 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

With amtm,diversion & skynet installed etc. and upgrading firmware, is there any special instructions to follow or just upgrade the firmware by uploading the file and everything else shouldn’t need interfering with? Asking since 384.11 is now available and I would like to upgrade.

With amtm,diversion & skynet installed etc. and upgrading firmware, is there any special instructions to follow or just upgrade the firmware by uploading the file and everything else shouldn’t need interfering with? Asking since 384.11 is now available and I would like to upgrade.
Apart from giving me a sense of deja vu and time-wasting, cross-posting won’t win you any friends. See my reply to your other post.

So after fiddling around with different combo's of DoT, DNSSEC and DNSFilter I noticed enabling DNSSEC completely kills my ipv6 connection. After disabling DNSSEC all goes back to normal.
Anyone else having this issue on a AC87U? I read through the 834.11 beta topic and noticed there are some people with AX88U having similar issues.
Could this be the same problem? Can someone with an AC87U and ipv6 confirm?

Everything else is working smooth as a fish. Thanks for all the hard work @RMerlin and @themiron :)

After update to 384.11, client panel on home page shows 0 clients.
Client list is empty.

Hi. Long term user of Merlin.
I logged in to the router 3 days ago, to change a LAN setting (set ip for client).
Today I am unable to login, like the password has been changed.

It has me stomped, nobody w/ access except me.
Last config back was ~1yr ago, so I want to avoid full reset.
How could the password have change?
I login ~3 x a week.

I logged in to the router 3 days ago, to change a LAN setting (set ip for client).

I login ~3 x a week.
Do you have your router open to wan access?

So after fiddling around with different combo's of DoT, DNSSEC and DNSFilter I noticed enabling DNSSEC completely kills my ipv6 connection. After disabling DNSSEC all goes back to normal.
Anyone else having this issue on a AC87U? I read through the 834.11 beta topic and noticed there are some people with AX88U having similar issues.
Could this be the same problem? Can someone with an AC87U and ipv6 confirm?

Everything else is working smooth as a fish. Thanks for all the hard work @RMerlin and @themiron :)

I'm running on the RT-AX88U and I have IPv6 and DNSSEC running without issues. This is with static IPv6, I don't get IPv6 via DHCPv6 or SLAAC prefix allocation.

I login ~3 x a week.
If not hacked; try another browser, reset cash.

It's firewalled behind another router, so yes, but I can only access the router if connected to one of it's wifi or LAN sockets.

I've restarted and tried different PC.

Go to "Signature" in your account details and list your Model and Firmware.

If you are upgrading from a 380 to a 384 build you have no other choice but to start from scratch. You may need to upgrade via the emergency restoration method and you need to wipe the jffs partition and load all settings from scratch.

Go to "Signature" in your account details and list your Model and Firmware.

If you are upgrading from a 380 to a 384 build you have no other choice but to start from scratch. You may need to upgrade via the emergency restoration method and you need to wipe the jffs partition and load all settings from scratch.

Already did that upgrade a while ago.

For my UK environment, I use Ch42 80MHz, and moved SKY Q to Ch46 40MHz since the SKY Q minis are hard wired, and I haven't heard any complaints with 5G devices failing to connect from visiting friends/colleagues/family/hackers!

Ch42? Is there such a thing?
I can't select channel 42 on my 86U. I have 40 and 44 but no 42.
Of course there is no ch 42 which you could use.
But if you use more than one channel with 20MHz bandwith you can name it using the channel between or "middle" channel.
So you only have to tell one channel and it inludes bandwith too.

ch. 38: 36+40 @40MHz
ch. 46: 44+48 @40MHz
ch. 42: 36+40+44+48 @80MHz
ch. 50: 36+40+44+48+52+56+60+64 @160MHz

Last edited:
It's firewalled behind another router, so yes, but I can only access the router if connected to one of it's wifi or LAN sockets.

I've restarted and tried different PC.
If you have your configuration saved, reset to factory, restore setting and change password.
Also be sure to have access from WAN disabled...

He dont touched IPTV code but for sure something on .11 final (beta2 working) is breaking IPTV on ac68u/ac87u/ac88u. There are reports from those models here and in spanish forum saying dont work and saying ac86u/ax88u is working. Multicast is broken on my ac88u with .11 final and i dont know why :(
Same proble with ac88u.
The tv stop working :-(
Can you tell me in private the spanish forum?, im spanish too :)

Its posible a new beta version switching this change between the last beta and the final? it will be very usefull for movistar user

thanks

Of course there is no ch 42 which you could use.
But if you use more than one channel with 20MHz bandwith you can name it using the channel between or "middle" channel.
So you only have to tell one channel and it inludes bandwith too.

ch. 38: 36+40 @40MHz
ch. 46: 44+48 @40MHz
ch. 42: 36+40+44+48 @80MHz
ch. 50: 36+40+44+48+52+56+60+64 @160MHz
The number of available selectable channels in the GUI drop-down list dynamically changes depending on the 'Channel bandwidth' selected, so in an ideal world the router GUI should reduce the number of available channels shown?

i.e. if GUI 'Channel bandwidth=80' is selected, then the drop-down should just show two channels - Ch42 and Ch58, but no doubt there would be complaints that the "standard" list of Ch36 etc. is "missing".

P.S. I've lost count of the number of times people have asked me why their 5MHz Ch48 is displayed on their Android WiFi Analyzer, but Ch42 is shown on their Laptop's WiFi Analyzer. ;)

Sweet. I do mention the technique to use dnsmasq.conf.add for dhcp static ip reservations in my blog post https://x3mtek.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware-upgrade/. Your small script helps with the conversion. Do you mind if I update the blog post with your script? I would also like to add it to my repo for miscellaneous scripts on https://github.com/Xentrk/Asuswrt-Merlin-Linux-Shell-Scripts. I will provide the necessary acknowledgement/credit to you.

A modification to append the lines to dnsmasq.conf.add would be a nice addition.

I also wrote a script to save and restore static DHCP reservations that I can add to my miscellaneous library.
Hi Xentrx,

Please share away! That's what makes Asuswrt-merlin and the community so strong.

As far as a modification, you can add ">> /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add" to the end of the script.
What I like to do is save a copy - usually on my Entware partition. I use this as my working copy. If I edit, I then copy to /jffs/configs and do a "service restart_dnsmasq" to have the new version added to /etc/dnsmasq.conf.

The other aspect I like about this method - portability. You can move this to any router that uses dnsmasq.

Last edited:
The number of available selectable channels in the GUI drop-down list dynamically changes depending on the 'Channel bandwidth' selected, so in an ideal world the router GUI should reduce the number of available channels shown?

i.e. if GUI 'Channel bandwidth=80' is selected, then the drop-down should just show two channels - Ch42 and Ch58, but no doubt there would be complaints that the "standard" list of Ch36 etc. is "missing".

P.S. I've lost count of the number of times people have asked me why their 5MHz Ch48 is displayed on their Android WiFi Analyzer, but Ch42 is shown on their Laptop's WiFi Analyzer. ;)
In 5G it is defined which channels can be combinded to broader bandwith, so 42 will define range 36-48, but it misses which will be the control channel!
First and second extended channels are defined depending on control channel like in the picture from previous posted 5GHz Spectrum Usage UK - 2017 - v1.pdf.
Thats why it is better to define channel (on 20MHz base) and bandwith seperated!
Despite in 2G you can use any channel (badly even overlapping) and set upper or lower for extended channel.

Wiki is well done to see how 5G channels can be used/combined for broader bandwith: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

This sure is a great recommendation. It seems like you have some experience with using *.conf files for various configurations. Do you know if there is a way to configure static DNS entries using something like this? The only real way to get static DNS entries when using the Asus as local DNS server currently is by using static DHCP mapping as using the static list enforces whatever hostname you set in the static list to also be resolvable by the local DNS on the router.

But what if I want to have hostname resolve to several IP-addresses and in my case I would want to add static IPv6 entries in the DNS as there seems to be no way to configure static DNS for IPv6 addresses in the WebUI. Or what if I want to set static entries for IP-addresses that are not local but are behind a site-to-site VPN connection so they are still using private addresses that I want to be resolvable. Are you aware of any capabilities like this?

Hmm, one idea would be to use the "host-record" option in Dnsmasq. I have a few devices (AC68U and AC88U) with static addresses - they don't request one from the main router. They run in Media Bridge mode. I just tried an experiment where I added these 2 lines to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add:

host-record=AC68Media,AC68MMode,192.168.1.3
host-record=AC88Media,AC88MMode,192.168.1.6

I did the "service restart_dnsmasq" and I can ping either router using either name. I.e. When I ping from the local network AC68Media or AC68MMode - both resolve to 192.168.1.3.

Not sure how to do the single hostname to multiple IP-addresses. This almost sounds like a mini-broadcast. A bit over my head...

You are correct in that assigning IPv6 using the WebUI is not possible. It appears the IP Address field will only accept IPv4. At this point, I don't have any IPv6 devices on my local lan.

In reading the man page on dnsmasq, it appears it works similar to IPv4 - except you must use enclose the hardware address in square brackets ([ ]). You might want to try adding a line like this to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add:

dhcp-host=[IPv6 HW Address], hostname-you-want

for example:

dhcp-host=[2001:0db8:0000:0000:95],Myv6Device

I haven't tried this but it might be worth a shot!
Good luck

This is the channel selector daemon simply logging what it's doing. This is because you have your channel set to Auto.

I see. This is first time I noticed this.

No idea what that is, there is no netdata process in the firmware, so it must be something you installed.

I must have installed it for one of my shenanigans. Removed it for now.

After update to 384.11, client panel on home page shows 0 clients.
Client list is empty.

Works for me. Do you have a real RT-AC68U, and not a hacked model?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!