What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RMerlin, can you explain, please, how to work exactly "Enable DNSSEC support" option in the WAN tab? I turned on these options:
- Enable DNSSEC support
- Validate unsigned DNSSEC replies

But i still have this output after stubby -l:
STUBBY: DNSSEC Validation is OFF

I tried to add these option to /jffs/configs/stubby.yml.add:
dnssec_return_status: GETDNS_EXTENSION_TRUE

But connection began to work unstably. I need to do it or need to ignore stubby - l output?

P.S.: this test passed fine:
http://dnssec.vs.uni-due.de

Thank you.
DNSSEC validation is done within dnsmasq, not Stubby. If you choose to use Stubby for dnssec instead, lookup posts by @bbunge who has posted his config before to do that. Otherwise, remove the stubby config entry and be happy.

Clipboard01.jpg
Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me if the temperatures you see on the attached screen capture are ok?

I can't find any router temperature guidance on Asus's website.

Thanks,
Anton

Can anyone tell me if the temperatures you see on the attached screen capture are ok?
ac86U: 2.4 GHz: 55°C - 5 GHz: 61°C - CPU: 78°C.

room temperature: 25°C
ac86u without external fan:
2.4 GHz: 47°C
5 GHz: 53°C
CPU: 74°C

ac86u with external fan:
2.4 GHz: 41°C
5 GHz: 48°C
CPU: 59°C

EDIT:
ac86u with external fan better positioned (blowing air to the back of the router):
2.4 GHz: 37°C
5 GHz: 45°C
CPU: 51°C

Attachments

• without fan.jpg
    without fan.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 267
  • with fan.jpg
    with fan.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 284
  • with fan well positioned.jpg
    with fan well positioned.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Guys, please try doing a forum search for "temperature". There are already dozens of posts about this all over the forums, answering your questions.

Guys, please try doing a forum search for "temperature". There are already dozens of posts about this all over the forums, answering your questions.

I believe this is the main reason Asus didn't have that feature enabled on stock firmwares, to avoid such questions from users who have no idea of a CPU Tj Max limits [emoji16]

384.13 adds AiMesh support which is complete crapware we don't need nor want more bloatware bs if I wanted all this I would of stuck with the default supplied firmware from Asus i've come to notice asuswrt-merlin is within supporting telementry backing Asus not the user...
How very wrong you are sir!
But to each his opinion...

At least Eric can write a correctly punctuated sentence!

I really wish Eric would have stayed away from Mesh myself. It's crap at best and just causes more support issues. This whole Merlin project has just turned into a bloated version of stock. Personally it's getting to the point were just a simple working firmware is gone, But what ever. o_O

I really wish Eric would have stayed away from Mesh myself. It's crap at best and just causes more support issues. This whole Merlin project has just turned into a bloated version of stock. Personally it's getting to the point were just a simple working firmware is gone, But what ever. o_O
Are you contending Asuswrt-Merlin adds bloat, or is bloated because of the GPL bloat of Asuswrt? A rising tide lifts all boats, so-to-speak.

DoT isn’t really bloat to me. Allowing AiMesh seems to be more a case of not fighting it with each GPL release. More security options seem like a good thing.

I enjoyed John’s fork for its pre-Trend Micro simplicity and leanness, but ultimately I want to keep up with the times, which @RMerlin and @themiron have done a great job of enhancing security.

Are you happier on the other side (NetGear)? OT for sure...

Are you contending Asuswrt-Merlin adds bloat, or is bloated because of the GPL bloat of Asuswrt? A rising tide lifts all boats, so-to-speak.

DoT isn’t really bloat to me. Allowing AiMesh seems to be more a case of not fighting it with each GPL release. More security options seem like a good thing.

I enjoyed John’s fork for its pre-Trend Micro simplicity and leanness, but ultimately I want to keep up with the times, which @RMerlin and @themiron have done a great job of enhancing security.

Are you happier on the other side (NetGear)? OT for sure...
Yea the only Bloatware I can see, would be features that asus added that couldn't be supported by Asuswrt-Merlin - that you said would have to be continuously fought against with every GPL- and were otherwise taking up space because they were not getting used.

If you notice, all features supported with the gpls used to make Johns fork are getting used, all features supported in most recent Asuswrt are also getting used in Asuswrt-merlin as well.

The function of Asuswrt-Merlin is not to remove Asuswrt features- remember Rmerlin is just Enhancing.

Hi Eric,

I moved over from Hggnomes 380.70 with no issues on a ac68u, except my client list will not show up under the network map. However, the clients seem to have no issues connecting and getting out on the internet.

JD

Hi Eric,

I moved over from Hggnomes 380.70 with no issues on a ac68u, except my client list will not show up under the network map. However, the clients seem to have no issues connecting and getting out on the internet.

JD
yea so many changes to the dhcp setup -- if you want to experience the best quality with the latest version you would probably have to factory reset to get all of your connections to show up cleanly with network map and also to have your static list to function nicely as well if you have one.

I just had to back out of 384.13 to 384.12. Running an AC-RT86U.

Wife's relatively new Alienware M17 with a just as recent Killer Networking card could see the SSID but all connections to it were met with Win10 responding, "Can't connect to this network". Could connect to others. Tried changing control channels. Nothing helped except going back to 384.12.

Feel free to contact me if you need me to perform more diagnostics on this to nail it down. I had even ordered some AIMesh Lyra Trio devices to take advantage of it. Wondering if I should hit the cancel button on that now.

384.13 adds AiMesh support which is complete crapware we don't need nor want more bloatware bs if I wanted all this I would of stuck with the default supplied firmware from Asus i've come to notice asuswrt-merlin is within supporting telementry backing Asus not the user...

AiMesh wasn't "added" to 384.13, it was always there, only that it was hidden on the webui as it wasn't compatible.

Asus does not get any telemetry data out of the router...

I just had to back out of 384.13 to 384.12. Running an AC-RT86U.

Wife's relatively new Alienware M17 with a just as recent Killer Networking card could see the SSID but all connections to it were met with Win10 responding, "Can't connect to this network". Could connect to others. Tried changing control channels. Nothing helped except going back to 384.12.

Feel free to contact me if you need me to perform more diagnostics on this to nail it down. I had even ordered some AIMesh Lyra Trio devices to take advantage of it. Wondering if I should hit the cancel button on that now.

Disable any fancy advanced feature that are unique to the Killer, they are often problematic regardless of the router used.

Hi Eric,

JD

Do you have a real, genuine RT-AC68U? Hacked/converted router models are not supported.

Found out that it wasn't problem in 384.13 same thing with wifi switching is on 384.12 also. I did a little testing, and looks like when phone gets to sleep or when you put him in stand by mode, he automaticlly switch itself to 2.4Ghz and 144Mbps, don't really know why.

Any ideas how to to fix that or should I maybe switch off smart connect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!