What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me if the temperatures you see on the attached screen capture are ok?

I can't find any router temperature guidance on Asus's website.

Thanks,
Anton

Mine are similar, although the cpu on mine is around 72c, only time I have seen it go above 80c is when I have downloaded a large file.

At least Eric can write a correctly punctuated sentence!

Yes , I chat over Skype to a class of 8 year old Ukrainian children and their teacher every week , their English skills are a lot higher than seen in the post in question.

Since update from 384.11_2 to 384.13 been rock solid so far with uptime of 6 days and 23hrs.

I always do a reset when I jump a few versions.

In fact since around 384.11 onwards my wifi has also been very stable, I had an issue in the past where my 5ghz wifi would drop and come back on its own accord.

Either later updates have fixed an issue or the settings I now use have fixed it either way, Im very pleased, so thanks for the firmwares @RMerlin.

I use separate SSIDs and control channels and turn off all the universal beamforming and mu-mimo stuff on both bands.
I think what may have solved my 5ghz wifi issue was setting it channel 100 and changing the channel bandwidth to 80mhz.

Been perfect ever since, hopefully it stays that way.

Cheers

Disable any fancy advanced feature that are unique to the Killer, they are often problematic regardless of the router used.

Yes and I'd further point out to @JoeHz that on the Killer Networking support site you can download a "driver only package" which excludes all the silly extras that Killer Networking developed and which aren't necessary for the functioning of that WLAN card.

Is there any way when you enable smart connect to pick manually channels and not to let router set it for you ? I find smart connect cool because when I go too far from router at home it automaticlly puts me on 2.4Ghz network, and when I get back to the range of 5Ghz it reconnect me to 5Ghz. I like that option but I don't like when router is picking channels on it's own, and he really picks the worst ones...

Still didn't find out why my phone is switching back to 2.4Ghz @ 144Mbps when smart connect is enabled. It connect at first to 5Ghz but when you put phone in sleep for like 10 minutes it switch back to 2.4Ghz @ 144Mbps.

Last edited:
Is there any way when you enable smart connect to pick manually channels and not to let router set it for you ?

No , the whole point of Smart Connect is that it is " smart" and makes choices for you.

It is either Smart or Manual.

No , the whole point of Smart Connect is that it is " smart" and makes choices for you.

It is either Smart or Manual.

Yeah I get it. But it's making some trouble on my phone downgrading my wifi network, and I didn't manage to find out why.

Maybe something in smart connect rule that I have to configure ?

Use https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan...oftware-tools/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/ to check your environment .

Smart Connect is (IMHO) best avoided.

I did check that already with wifi analyzer, and I know channels that are best for me.

Ok if best avoided, can you tell me then how to deal with my situation. if I disable smart connect, and connect to 5Ghz and when I get out of range it won't connect me to my 2.4Ghz (because 2.4 have longer range than 5Ghz), and I have to do it manually, and vice versa when I get back in 5Ghz range.

Hmm, maybe use the FritzApp from Playstore to map your WiFi in the house.

2.4 should be able to cover the average house unless it is shielded walls .

I can walk out the door, across the village green to the road ( 75 meters ) , sit in my car and still use WiFi.

Hmm, maybe use the FritzApp from Playstore to map your WiFi in the house.

2.4 should be able to cover the average house unless it is shielded walls .

I can walk out the door, across the village green to the road ( 75 meters ) , sit in my car and still use WiFi.

And then whats the point of having this kind of powerful router (AC88U), if I need to use some other apps to do it's job ?

2.4Ghz can cover a lot, and can cover my whole house, but I want to be connected to 5Ghz when I'm in close range to it.

Ok if best avoided, can you tell me then how to deal with my situation.

Best is to avoid 2.4GHz communications altogether. Use a 5GHz repeater to extend the range. Your connection will be much faster compared to chasing low signal 2.4GHz network.

Reactions: Gar
I'm sorry, I know this is a rookie question.

When upgrading from an exiting merlin firmware to the newest, do I need to download it from github and install like I did when I originally flashed from original Asus firmware, OR can I just use the upgrade tool on my router page?

and when I get out of range it won't connect me to my 2.4Ghz (because 2.4 have longer range than 5Ghz

You need to make up your mind here, you clearly state that 2.4 only has the same range as 5Ghz.

The app I mentioned helps you map your home, see where signal is weak/strong.

Best is to avoid 2.4GHz communications altogether. Use a 5GHz repeater to extend the range. Your connection will be much faster compared to chasing low signal 2.4GHz network.

2.4Ghz is strong in all places in my house, even outside I can reach it, but I have high speed connection and I want to use 5Ghz when I am in range, but I don't want to think about like hmm am I on 2.4 or on 5Ghz now, and check it every time on phone, because it wont switch me automaticlly from 2.4 to 5Ghz when I'm in range, and vice versa but in that case when 5Ghz is not in range anymore it leaves wifi on phone just turned on and not connected to anything, and I have to connect it manually to 2.4.

2.4Ghz is strong in all places in my house, even outside I can reach it, but I have high speed connection and I want to use 5Ghz when I am in range, but I don't want to think about like hmm am I on 2.4 or on 5Ghz now, and check it every time on phone.

OK then, improve your 5GHz coverage and use your high speed connection all the time without the need to switch to 2.4GHz. High speed connection and switching to 2.4GHz band doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!