What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the restore utility is a little misleading. It will restore from a non-working state and is a good clean/safe way to install a firmware, but does not restore to factory/default settings.

AC86U reporting...

Few days ago the STB of my satellite TV went faulty, and I got the service provider to change a new STB for me. The STB has some functions that need Internet access, and is connected directly to my router with Wifi, using DHCP. Connection is fine.

The problem:
- The STB does not appear in Network Map list.
- It also does not appear in Bandwidth Monitor list.

It can be found in:
- Traffic analyzer
- Wireless Log
- DHCP leases

Its MAC address shown in DHCP leases (10:77:B1:FA:....) is different from the MAC address shown in Wireless Log (C0:97:27:24:.....). I use static assign IP, and the IP needs to be assigned to the MAC address shown in DHCP leases.

I am aware that certain users encountered similar problem in Network Map, but I haven't encountered such problem before, until this new STB came into my house.

AC86U reporting...

Few days ago the STB of my satellite TV went faulty, and I got the service provider to change a new STB for me. The STB has some functions that need Internet access, and is connected directly to my router with Wifi, using DHCP. Connection is fine.

The problem:
- The STB does not appear in Network Map list.
- It also does not appear in Bandwidth Monitor list.

It can be found in:
- Traffic analyzer
- Wireless Log
- DHCP leases

Its MAC address shown in DHCP leases (10:77:B1:FA:....) is different from the MAC address shown in Wireless Log (C0:97:27:24:.....). I use static assign IP, and the IP needs to be assigned to the MAC address shown in DHCP leases.

I am aware that certain users encountered similar problem in Network Map, but I haven't encountered such problem before, until this new STB came into my house.
Reset Router?

Below bugs still existent on this release.

- Client list is still empty.
Apart from the missing visibility, this is an issue with AI protection as you have to add MAC manually.
- LED's goes dark after some time

I ran the original ASUS fw for 2 weeks and above issues were gone.

RT-AC88U

This doesn't make sense.

If there were bugs in the firmware, everyone running it would have the same problems as you.

The rebind log entries came back. It looks like the only way to stop them is to turn off rebind attack detection.

Is there a downside in doing so?

The rebind log entries came back. It looks like the only way to stop them is to turn off rebind attack detection.

Is there a downside in doing so?
Or stop looking at the logs.

You can either have extra log entries or be vulnerable to rebind attacks. Or post more of the logs and your dnsmasq.conf file for review. It should be possible to have the protection and the whitelist. Just might take more homework.

ASUS AC68U, 384.13.

This story started long time ago (Merlin 380.х).

DualWAN (Load balance):
- PPTP VPN (1000 Mbit) - ISP #1;
- PPPoE (100 Mbit)- ISP #2.

ISP #2 (PPPoE) provides IPTV services as well (multicast) to connected SetTop box (LAN1).

First, it was:
- WAN = primary (PPTP);
- LAN4 = secondary (PPPoE).

Problem #1:
Was not able to get multicast on SetTop box.
Also "routing rules" for STB box = "use secondary" did not help:
- traceroute displayed traffic via PPPoE servers;
- but multicast seemed to be going via PPTP servers – no IPTV as a result.

So, I had to change to:
- WAN = secondary (PPTP);
- LAN4 = primary (PPPoE),
then I got working IPTV (problem #1 was solved).

So far it was good.
But one day I updated to 384.3.
Then I got a problem #2.

Problem #2:
Secondary interface (PPTP) = "Disconnected" for a very long time after reboot, and there are messages “PPTP: Unknown host MY_PPTP_SERVER” in the log.
And it does not become “Connected”.
“MY_PPTP_SERVER” = name of local server of ISP #1 (not specified by IP address). In case of IP address is explicitly specified the interface becomes “Connected” – but ISP is tended to change IP addresses of servers (meanwhile the name “MY_PPTP_SERVER” is always same).

Posted about this problem here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-3-is-now-available.44693/page-17#post-389747

If I revert to:
- WAN = primary (PPTP VPN);
- LAN4 = secondary (PPPoE),
then both interfaces are “Connected” – but no IPTV (as it was described above).

Since I did not want to lose IPTV, I just:
- plugged off PPTP cable;
- switched off Dual WAN;
- used only PPPoE in WAN.

Then I started waiting for a new firmware.
Almost every new firmware I tested with my Dual WAN config, but still had same things:
- primary (PPTP), secondary (PPPoE) – no multicast on STB box;
- primary (PPPoE), secondary (PPTP) - “PPTP: Unknown host MY_PPTP_SERVER” errors.

A few days ago I updated to 384.13.
What I can see now:
- primary (PPPoE), secondary (PPTP) - “PPTP: Unknown host MY_PPTP_SERVER” errors occur sometimes, not always.
OK, anyway it is better.
But I got a problem #3.

Problem #3:
In case uTorrent is running (UL = 1..5 Mbit), then sometimes everything crashes:
- no Internet on clients (LAN, WLAN);
- the router does not respond, cannot be pinged.
After reboot (power off, then on) I can see loads of errors in the log:
“dst cache overflow”.

Any advices will be appreciated )).

Last edited:
The router doesn't use rc.local because it's not a Linux distribution, just a Linux kernel. That is why that file disappears after a reboot. The equivalent to rc.local in Asuswrt-Merlin is /jffs/scripts/services-start.
At first I use /jffs/scripts/services-start & enable JFFS custom scripts & configs in RT-AC68U( Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13_0) system setup, just not work after reboot. See my attached file, was there any thing wrong?
After I copied /jffs/scripts/services-start to /etc/rc.local, after that it works after every reboot. But /etc/rc.local disappered after first reboot.

Attachments

• services-start.jpg
    services-start.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 237
At first I use /jffs/scripts/services-start & enable JFFS custom scripts & configs in RT-AC68U( Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13_0) system setup, just not work after reboot. See my attached file, was there any thing wrong?
That looks OK.

After I copied /jffs/scripts/services-start to /etc/rc.local, after that it works after every reboot. But /etc/rc.local disappered after first reboot.
It may have just been a coincidence or the permissions on services-start were initially wrong. Whatever the reason the router doesn't use rc.local and as you said that file didn't even exist after the first reboot, so it's nothing to do with that file.

I updated my AC 3100 a few days ago with the current release.

Next time I turned on my TV it will go only display one channel. Is there any possibility that a setting in the .13 release is the problem. Is there something in the router I need to set allowing the Amazon/TV connection, but I don't know about?

The TV and the Amazon box attached are connected to Ethernet. No wireless for anything. Everything I have found online so far is "reboot, wiggle the wires".

The hardware attached to the LAN has not changed for years. I am suspicious of a Comcast update. But my wife's TV is fine; but has no Amazon box.

Any suggestions or pointers to what I don't know.

I updated my AC 3100 a few days ago with the current release.

Next time I turned on my TV it will go only display one channel. Is there any possibility that a setting in the .13 release is the problem. Is there something in the router I need to set allowing the Amazon/TV connection, but I don't know about?

The TV and the Amazon box attached are connected to Ethernet. No wireless for anything. Everything I have found online so far is "reboot, wiggle the wires".

The hardware attached to the LAN has not changed for years. I am suspicious of a Comcast update. But my wife's TV is fine; but has no Amazon box.

Any suggestions or pointers to what I don't know.
I'm not sure I follow your issue? Are you saying that when you turn on the TV (with the firetv attached via HDMI) that it only shows one channel? I think we need a little more info.

Hello

Has anyone else had problems upgrading from 3.0.0.4.382_51640 (latest official FW for AC87U) to the latest Merlin build 384.13_1?

Uploading trx file reboots the router, but the FW doesn't get upgraded. No errors, no logs (on Web UI at least).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ps. Router is running PPTP and OPVN servers in parallel, could it be a RAM issue? Or perhaps the issue that I'm trying to upgrade the FW via WAN (yes the router is 10K km away from me)

Hello

Has anyone else had problems upgrading from 3.0.0.4.382_51640 (latest official FW for AC87U) to the latest Merlin build 384.13_1?

Uploading trx file reboots the router, but the FW doesn't get upgraded. No errors, no logs (on Web UI at least).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ps. Router is running PPTP and OPVN servers in parallel, could it be a RAM issue? Or perhaps the issue that I'm trying to upgrade the FW via WAN (yes the router is 10K km away from me)
I had in past a problem with an upgrade and solved it with putting new firmware on flash, put it into router USB , login via ssh and run mtd-write2 command
You'll need to find a path where your USB stick mounted, I usually run df -k command first

full command to run is following

mtd-write2 <full_path>/RT-AC68U_384.13.trx linux

Even if you are 10k miles away, someone capable writing USB stick and put it into router might be near by

could it be a RAM issue?
Perhaps, try to reboot first, then flash (and there should not be an USB plugged in).
If not enough, disable PPTP and OPVN.

I had in past a problem with an upgrade and solved it with putting new firmware on flash, put it into router USB , login via ssh and run mtd-write2 command
You'll need to find a path where your USB stick mounted, I usually run df -k command first

full command to run is following

mtd-write2 <full_path>/RT-AC68U_384.13.trx linux

Even if you are 10k miles away, someone capable writing USB stick and put it into router might be near by

This worked for me, thanks @lazyme :) I also first tried turning of both VPN servers and rebooting the router prior starting the FW update via WebUI from local network, it completed, asked to reboot manually and was still on the original FW version.

Reactions: MDM
Hello

Had the same issue in the past with my two AC87Us. The resolution was to factory reset the router and do a minimal config - then run the FW upgrade without problems.
BUT: You better save the settings (screen shots) to be able to reconfigure the router after upgrade.

Can anyone help me with my Dual WAN issue ?
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...13-is-now-available.57860/page-46#post-521603

Found one more problem here:
A few days ago I updated to 384.13.
What I can see now:
- primary (PPPoE), secondary (PPTP) - “PPTP: Unknown host MY_PPTP_SERVER” errors occur sometimes, not always.
OK, anyway it is better.
Noticed that WLAN & LAN clients cannot easily connect to Internet in web browsers:
- LAN clients: prolonged "TLS handshake" message in browsers;
- WLAN clients: Safari in iOS devices does not show web pages.
In both the cases above it needs 2..3 times to update page to see a site.
Seems some problems with routes?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!