What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have ssh enabled, try;

# service restart_httpd

Ok...Have worked out how to SSH in and running putty - will try this when next it happens - it’s happened twice since full 384.13 installed (on day it was released).

Thx

Last edited:
Ok...Have worked out how to SSH in and running putty - will try this when next it happens - seems a doesn't take it long happened twice since full 384.13 installed (on day it was released).

Thx
It does not hurt to run it now as a preventive measure. I have a cron job that runs that command four times daily, every six hours, to prevent that rare, occasional lock up.

It does not hurt to run it now as a preventive measure. I have a cron job that runs that command four times daily, every six hours, to prevent that rare, occasional lock up.

Hmm...sounds efficient and would need to work out how to do that...will wait until i cannot access again and see if this fixes it and if somthen look into setting it up like you ;)
Regards
Gary

Afternoon all,

I've had a couple of issues with this current firmware merlin 384.13 on my RT-AC68U. The Modem/Router remains working but I cannot open the admin login page. When I try to open the page just never loads to sign in page (same with the IOS app cannot connect) but all devices in home connected appear to be connected and I have to power off and power on to restore access. In doing this one time - the router would not reboot and I had to use the asus emergency software to reset/reboot.

Connected via LAN or Wifi.

Any help or pointers to similar issues appreciated. I will look through this thread but its a big thread !

Regards
Gary

Try using router.asus.com instead of the IP address in case you have the wrong IP.

Try using router.asus.com instead of the IP address in case you have the wrong IP.
Thx but that was the first thing i tried...same result as ip web page blank and kept polling..very strange.

That little trick was unknown to me...and it is one I will retain!!
Thanks!

Has anyone had issues where the router just stops responding? I have an RT-AC3200 with 384.13 and have a couple of occasions over the last few weeks where :
- Devices that try to reconnect to wifi are unable to do so - SSID is there, but 'incorrect password' or similar (multiple bands)
- devices already on may still be connected to wifi (like apple mac, google home mini) AND CONTINUE to have a connection (ie using ssh to a internet site etc)
- A hardwired PC was still physically connected, but was unable to resolve names
- a reboot fixed

I wonder if it's some kind of resource leak such that new connections can't be made? Not sure how this would explain the wifi password issue - perhaps it's down to a memory leak/out of memory
Unfortunately I couldn't get into the router to investigate more prior to the reboot.
I also know the 3200 is a bit of an oddity
Note - I am using timemachine, 1 x vpn server (connects infrequently), and ai protection. QOS is disabled. Current cable modem is 1 Gbs down, 52 Mbps up service. Apple TV can manage 850-930 Mbps . Overall traffic isn't that high. 20-30 devices.

Ah! Found it. OOM for sure. See https://gist.github.com/c6cf1d1fb1f802b31ee4b3df89a25f27 . In summary:

Oct 9 06:58:21 kernel: protect_srv invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x201da, order=0, oom_adj=0, oom_score_adj=0

It decided to kill dnsmasq (no where near the worst offender)

Oct 9 06:58:21 kernel: Out of memory: Kill process 283 (dnsmasq) score 2 or sacrifice child
Oct 9 06:58:21 kernel: Killed process 19357 (dnsmasq) total-vm:3460kB, anon-rss:580kB, file-rss:0kB

which was listed as

Oct 9 06:58:21 kernel: [19357] 65534 19357 865 145 0 0 0 dnsmasq

Maybe down to the non root user

No surprise then it whinged dhcp wasn't working and recycled the wan connection - of course with no dnsmasq, no name resolution - hence the issues.

The question is why OOM. I can't see any obvious candidates. cnid_dbd has the most VM

I am using strict DNS over TLS against 8.8.8.8/4.4.4.4 for the wan, and did apply the dns patch for firefox dns over https (ie only server=/use-application-dns.net/)

I'm suspecting that the DoT change is the most recent thing that relates to this area.

Afternoon all,

I've had a couple of issues with this current firmware merlin 384.13 on my RT-AC68U. The Modem/Router remains working but I cannot open the admin login page. When I try to open the page just never loads to sign in page (same with the IOS app cannot connect) but all devices in home connected appear to be connected and I have to power off and power on to restore access. In doing this one time - the router would not reboot and I had to use the asus emergency software to reset/reboot.

Connected via LAN or Wifi.

Any help or pointers to similar issues appreciated. I will look through this thread but its a big thread !

Regards
Gary

I have same issue after update my RT-AC68U from 384.12_0 to 384.13_0 ,
each time I reboot my RT-AC68U , there is no WebUI available.
Following is what I just done to solve this problem:

Use MobaXterm connect by SSH(user name : admin)
keyin : service restart_httpd
WebUI appeared, login normally => the above command works!!

============2019/10/10 Steps to solve this issue============
1. According to Merlin Documents : User Scripts, I created /jffs/scripts/services-start
by vi command with following two lines(if you don't know how to use vi, please google)

#!/bin/sh
service restart_httpd

saved file & chmod a+rx services-start to make it executable,
reboot RT-AC68U (just keyin : reboot), WebUI still not available...!?

2. Refer to following :
I know Linux will auto execute command in rc.local under /etc ,
=> Use MobaXterm connect by SSH(user name : admin)
=> keyin : cp /jffs/scripts/services-start /etc/rc.local
( copy /jffs/scripts/services-start to /etc/rc.local )

After reboot my RT-AC68U, WebUI is available now!!!!!
Reboot again, WebUI is still available!!! It seems this problem have been
solved.

3. Use MobaXterm connect by SSH(user name : admin)..., ??? /etc/rc.local
was disappeared after reboot...!!!
Reboot again, WebUI still available!!!
I just don't know where rc.local was....???
But WebUI is confirmed available now after every reboot.
Hope this can solve your problem.

I have same issue after update my RT-AC68U from 384.12_0 to 384.13_0 ,
each time I reboot my RT-AC68U , there is no WebUI available.
Following is what I just done to solve this problem:

Use MobaXterm connect by SSH(user name : admin)
keyin : service restart_httpd
WebUI appeared, login normally => the above command works!!

============2019/10/10 Steps to solve this issue============
1. According to Merlin Documents : User Scripts, I created /jffs/scripts/services-start
by vi command with following two lines(if you don't know how to use vi, please google)

#!/bin/sh
service restart_httpd

saved file & chmod a+rx services-start to make it executable,
reboot RT-AC68U (just keyin : reboot), WebUI still not available...!?

2. Refer to following :
I know Linux will auto execute command in rc.local under /etc ,
=> Use MobaXterm connect by SSH(user name : admin)
=> keyin : cp /jffs/scripts/services-start /etc/rc.local
( copy /jffs/scripts/services-start to /etc/rc.local )

After reboot my RT-AC68U, WebUI is available now!!!!!
Reboot again, WebUI is still available!!! It seems this problem have been
solved.

3. Use MobaXterm connect by SSH(user name : admin)..., ??? /etc/rc.local
was disappeared after reboot...!!!
Reboot again, WebUI still available!!!
I just don't know where rc.local was....???
But WebUI is confirmed available now after every reboot.
Hope this can solve your problem.

Many thanks will look into this at weekend ;) just wonder why this is required ?

Many thanks will look into this at weekend ;) just wonder why this is required ?

By this way to bypass the issue, just not find out the root cause to solve it.
I don't know why update to 384.13_0 induced this issue...
I am new to unix like system...
After google , there is recommendation restore 384.12_0 but just not work.
This issue seems to also happened to some previous version.
I tried to use User Scripts described in Merlin Documents but not work,
so in the past months I do "service restart_httpd" to get admin webui login
after reboot RT-AC68U.

Recently in my work I have to solve some operating system issue happened to Sun SparcStation 5 with SunOS 5.4,
so I know somthing more than that time I update 384.13_0. (I use uname to know RT-AC68U use Linux)
Today I google "Linux auto execute" : found this...(Chinese web page)

https://blog.gtwang.org/linux/auto-execute-linux-scripts-during-boot-login-logout/

I understand Linux will auto execute commands in /etc/rc.local after boot, just
like autoexec.bat or items in "Start folder" for Microsoft dos/windows systems.

So I copy the file services-start (with command to restart httpd) to /etc/rc.local,
and solve the issue.

Folks, I'm trying to find out the service name for mdnla server and figured out that can't find its service name. Any suggestions? A wider question — is there a way to find out all services names?

Folks, I'm trying to find out the service name for mdnla server and figured out that can't find its service name. Any suggestions? A wider question — is there a way to find out all services names?
How about
Code:
service restart_nasapps
Or
Code:
service start_dms

Last edited:
I’ve had 384.13_1 installed on my AC-88U for nearly 2 months and about 10 minutes all the sudden my LAN, WLAN and WAN stopped responding. I had to power the router off and on. It’s been a long time since I’ve had that happen.

384.13_1 is RT-AC87U only!
You should have just 384.13, no?

You’re probably right. I didn’t check. That would mean it’s been closer to 3 months running when I suddenly lost all networking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!