What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgraded 86U from beta --> 384.13 ... good.
Upgraded 87U from beta --> 384.13.1 ... not so good.

The upgrade appears to have shut off my 5Ghz radio, and I can't turn it on because the configuration screen doesn't seem to render or work anymore. I've tried it in firefox, safari, chrome from my mac and I can't seem to get in there.

Symptoms are
... when I navigate to the wireless section, the navigation bar on the left goes black, can't go anywhere. I need to use the browser back
... I can't select either the control or extension channels, it's an empty drop down dialog
... the apply button doesn't work.
... it seems to give me 2 5 GHz options ... a 5GHZ and a 5 GHZ-2 which I don't recall
... I can get into the other wireless options if I'm redirected in the UI. The guest network screen says the 5GHz wireless is off ... if I click on that it takes me to the professional screen

Went back to the beta release ...384.13_beta1-g73181bd3ae ... all is well again & radios back up.

Obligatory but never old ... these firmwares are awesome & thank you for all the work! Hopefully I'm not posting something someone else has, I went through a lot of the posts here (22 pages ?!) and didn't see anything.
Empty your browser cache and any associated cookies. Reload the page and use "Ctrl-F5" to force the browser to update the page source. After reflashing of course. :)

I scanned this, but I don't see the process that might leave cpu 2 pegged. Did I miss it?
Nope, it’s not there.

So there are 2 options: top was run when cpu2 wasn’t pegged. Or cpu2 is being hogged from kernel space, something you won’t see in top.

Nope, it’s not there.

So there are 2 options: top was run when cpu2 wasn’t pegged. Or cpu2 is being hogged from kernel space, something you won’t see in top.
Or option 3 - it's a different problem.

I'd go with option 3 as the symptoms are different from the OP's.

Upgraded 86U from beta --> 384.13 ... good.
Upgraded 87U from beta --> 384.13.1 ... not so good.

The upgrade appears to have shut off my 5Ghz radio, and I can't turn it on because the configuration screen doesn't seem to render or work anymore. I've tried it in firefox, safari, chrome from my mac and I can't seem to get in there.

Symptoms are
... when I navigate to the wireless section, the navigation bar on the left goes black, can't go anywhere. I need to use the browser back
... I can't select either the control or extension channels, it's an empty drop down dialog
... the apply button doesn't work.
... it seems to give me 2 5 GHz options ... a 5GHZ and a 5 GHZ-2 which I don't recall
... I can get into the other wireless options if I'm redirected in the UI. The guest network screen says the 5GHz wireless is off ... if I click on that it takes me to the professional screen

Went back to the beta release ...384.13_beta1-g73181bd3ae ... all is well again & radios back up.

Obligatory but never old ... these firmwares are awesome & thank you for all the work! Hopefully I'm not posting something someone else has, I went through a lot of the posts here (22 pages ?!) and didn't see anything.

If you are using bridge mode then it's something that will have to be fixed by Asus. Asus recently fixed bridge mode, but they broke AP mode in doing so. I reverted their fix in 384.13_1 since AP mode is more common than bridge mode. You will have to wait for them to properly fix it (if they ever do so).

If you switch your ISP from cable to DSL you will get a different public IP address.

Might this be significant ?

Shouldn't be as the smart devices are still in the same state as before so it should behave again.

Also the cable doesn't have a static ip so its changed before.

Have to do more testing later.

Last edited:
After 13 days uptime of my 86u, gui respond slower, much more slower than earlier. Cpu usage is normal, memory usage is 80%

cpu_usage_86u.png

lol, i buy Asus routers for this functions ;)

Which?... rising memory consumption and sluggish webUI or AiP... or both? ;)

OE

Which?... rising memory consumption and sluggish webUI or AiP... or both?

He may like to send personal information to TrendMicro, you never know. ;)
Eating up available memory is a safety feature, I guess. Nothing else can fit there.

Eating up available memory is a safety feature, I guess. Nothing else can fit there.

Isn't memory there to be used? Unless it is using the free memory as some sort of swap space (which really wouldn't be free memory then), is there any operational benefit to keeping usage low?

My suggestion is only a hunch and may likely not be his issue. AiP privacy issues aside, I'm a little suspicious of it... my router just 'feels' healthier without it running.

OE

Isn't memory there to be used? Unless it is using the free memory as some sort of swap space (which really wouldn't be free memory then), is there any operational benefit to keeping usage low?

Sure, normal usage is normal. But I had one instance on 45717 where memory usage gradually increased above normal and then a WiFi client could not get an IP address... I cleared that up but have not narrowed it down... still on the lookout for possible causes at a very superficial level. :)

OE

Isn't memory there to be used?

Yes, but when you see 8MB left from 512MB total you know some processes are going to be terminated very soon in order to keep the router going. This is what you get with AiProtect and only 1 week up-time on RT-AC86U. Tested few times, happens every time. Then people wonder why they can't even reach the WebUI page.

my router just 'feels' healthier without it running.

I know, mine too.

Yes, but when you see 8MB left from 512MB total you know some processes are going to be terminated very soon in order to keep the router going. This is what you get with AiProtect and only 1 week up-time on RT-AC86U. Tested few times, happens every time. Then people wonder why they can't even reach the WebUI page.

I wonder if that is a result of the newer binaries being available for that one? My RT-AC3200 tends to sit w/ approximately 30 MB free (of 256MB total / 88-90% memory used) most of the time without causing any issues. AiP is on (for the QOS classification, primarily).

Thanks Eric for this update. Well done!!!
Went from Beta2 and tested the AiMesh setup between RT-AC87u and a RT-AC68u as a node. Setup and configuration went well but some apps are not connecting properly via devices connected to the node via cable. I can’t reach my NAS for example. Reverted back to Media Bridge and then everything went back to normal. Not sure if it’s the main router that is the issue or the node.

Anyhow, thanks again for the wonderful work you are doing!!!

While inspecting my GUI I came across this in Tools > Sysinfo > Network > Ethernet Ports:

I've been trying to figure out what device has this MAC address on the Port-WAN VLAN-2. I thought it might be the Cable modem, but no. I've inspected the MAC addresses of my other devices, and can't find this particular one. Right now I just have the one RT-AC68U router running between my LAN ( running NordVPN windows clients) and the cable modem. I didn't even realize that a VLAN 2 was running, never set one up.

I had just recently purchased a small USB fan (attached to the USB 2.0 port of my asus) on ebay to keep my overclocked asus cool (kudos to great directions from @ironclad ). hummm, NOT that I'm paranoid (too much ;) ). I unplugged it, refreshed the GUI and watched it for a few minutes, VLAN 2 entry still there. Excuse my ignorance, if there is a very simple explanation for this.

My computer I'm using now to type this, is also listed with 2 connections. Never noticed that before.

Attachments

• InkedScreenshot_2019-08-18 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68U - System Information_LI.jpg
    InkedScreenshot_2019-08-18 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68U - System Information_LI.jpg
    873 KB · Views: 292
  • InkedScreenshot_2019-08-18 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68U - Network Map_LI.jpg
    InkedScreenshot_2019-08-18 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68U - Network Map_LI.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Went from Beta2 and tested the AiMesh setup between RT-AC87u and a RT-AC68u as a node. Setup and configuration went well but some apps are not connecting properly via devices connected to the node via cable. I can’t reach my NAS for example. Reverted back to Media Bridge and then everything went back to normal. Not sure if it’s the main router that is the issue or the node.

RT-AC87u is not capable of AiMesh.
So I do not understand what are you talking about... :D

While inspecting my GUI I came across this in Tools > Sysinfo > Network > Ethernet Ports:

I've been trying to figure out what device has this MAC address on the Port-WAN VLAN-2. I thought it might be the Cable modem, but no. I've inspected the MAC addresses of my other devices, and can't find this particular one. Right now I just have the one RT-AC68U router running between my LAN ( running NordVPN windows clients) and the cable modem. I didn't even realize that a VLAN 2 was running, never set one up.

I had just recently purchased a small USB fan (attached to the USB 2.0 port of my asus) from China to keep my overclocked asus cool (cudoos to great directions from Ironclad). hummm, NOT that I'm paranoid (too much ;) ). I unplugged it, refreshed the GUI and watched it for a few minutes, VLAN 2 entry still there.

My computer I'm using now to type this, is also listed with 2 connections. Never noticed that before.

I have no idea if it's relevant, but it may seem like the Lan is tagged as Vlan 1 and Wan is tagged as Vlan 2...

and another curious thing is that the computer you're writing this on with 2 connections also seem to be on a different network segment 169.254.233.135 (static) while your other dhcp clients are on 192.168.xxx segment....

can You provide screen from AiMesh and 87u ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!