What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh ok. I remember using tomato and ddwrt over 10 years ago and must be where I saw vlan type options. I'm rather partial to merlin, so I'll take a look and see if i have other options.
The OP had success with my VLANSwitch.sh script to use with a downstream Cisco 2960X
Help setting up VLAN on ASUS RT-AC68U

I can PM you the script if you want to try it.

Go for it! :cool:

BUT: Do not forget to factory rest the router AFTER the jump to the new version AND reconfigure it manually! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Just curious there is no risk of permanent damage to the router if i was to delay the factory reset? would it just be a case of potentially running into connectivity issues like dropout etc

Everything so far appears to be fine after the update, no issues.

Thanks, Just curious there is no risk of permanent damage to the router if i was to delay the factory reset? would it just be a case of potentially running into connectivity issues like dropout etc

Everything so far appears to be fine after the update, no issues.
There's no risk of damage, but some settings carried over from the previous version may be non-optimal or incorrect. So do the factory reset as soon as possible to prevent stability and compatibility issues. Just because it "appears" to be working correctly doesn't mean it is. ;)

The OP had success with my VLANSwitch.sh script to use with a downstream Cisco 2960X
Help setting up VLAN on ASUS RT-AC68U

I can PM you the script if you want to try it.
I might, but then I'll be bugging you with random questions. I have almost no unix experience and using a lot of this to start labbing and know more.
I have an att RG that im trying to learn more about, and circumvent, so about to start trying out pfsense as well, waiting for a spare m900 tiny pc we had. So from there then work on getting that pfsense in so I can try this netgraph work around to get the Asus as the main router. And from there start to play around with vlans and at least get a trunk to my living room area, where I plan to set up the sg300-10port and then have something like gaming vlan, tv/roku vlan, etc.
I do have some experience with cisco, a ccna in r&s but dont get to use it so looking to leverage some.
So for the Asus I at least want to get a trunk port to the cisco, and from there i may or may not need to vlan the other ports. 1 step at a time.

After 13 days uptime of my 86u, gui respond slower, much more slower than earlier. Cpu usage is normal, memory usage is 80%

View attachment 19043
This seems to be a long standing memory leak in the Trend Micro modules which are closed source therefore RMerlin can't fix it. I solve the problem by rebooting at 2:30am every night using the reboot scheduler, but once a week would probably be enough. If you use FreshJR's QoS script its an idea to reboot a little while before his script does the 3:00am checks that the changes are still applied.

This seems to be a long standing memory leak in the Trend Micro modules which are closed source therefore RMerlin can't fix it. I solve the problem by rebooting at 2:30am every night using the reboot scheduler, but once a week would probably be enough. If you use FreshJR's QoS script its an idea to reboot a little while before his script does the 3:00am checks that the changes are still applied.

Same issue here. almost 2 weeks without a glitch...than totally impossible to log into. Had to restart twice. Now it works again. I have another issue with reboot scheduler so I will manually reboot every weekend.

There's no risk of damage, but some settings carried over from the previous version may be non-optimal or incorrect. So do the factory reset as soon as possible to prevent stability and compatibility issues. Just because it "appears" to be working correctly doesn't mean it is. ;)
Point taken, I'll be sure to Factory reset.

Hello all, thanks for this version of merlin.
However,
I am running version 384.13_0 for the following devices:
rt-ac5300 - primary router
rt-ac86u - AiMesh node using 1gb ethernet backhual

I have been able to successfully connect the ac86u to the primary router as an AiMesh node using ethernet for backual. However, when I try to access the AiMesh node GUI using the IP of the ac86u AiMesh node I get an error stating:
"Unable to connect to Parent AP"
We suggest you:
1. Make sure your AiMesh router is power on
2. Reboot the AiMesh router and try again.

The AiMesh node is successfully connected to the primary router and is servicing clients. I can see from the primary router clients are connected to it, but I cannot log into the web GUI to access the AiMesh node.

I can SSH to the AiMesh node using the same credentials of the primary router.

Tasks I have completed as part of troubleshooting:
1. rebooted both primary and aimesh node
2. reset to defaults the rt-ac86u aimesh node several times, post reset I can connect it as an aimesh node via ethernet backhual
3. I can SSH to both primary and Aimesh nodes with same creds for both

Any thoughts? Anything I check via CLI in the AiMesh node? Logs I can provide?

Hello all, thanks for this version of merlin.
However,
I am running version 384.13_0 for the following devices:
rt-ac5300 - primary router
rt-ac86u - AiMesh node using 1gb ethernet backhual

I have been able to successfully connect the ac86u to the primary router as an AiMesh node using ethernet for backual. However, when I try to access the AiMesh node GUI using the IP of the ac86u AiMesh node I get an error stating:
"Unable to connect to Parent AP"
We suggest you:
1. Make sure your AiMesh router is power on
2. Reboot the AiMesh router and try again.

The AiMesh node is successfully connected to the primary router and is servicing clients. I can see from the primary router clients are connected to it, but I cannot log into the web GUI to access the AiMesh node.

I can SSH to the AiMesh node using the same credentials of the primary router.

Tasks I have completed as part of troubleshooting:
1. rebooted both primary and aimesh node
2. reset to defaults the rt-ac86u aimesh node several times, post reset I can connect it as an aimesh node via ethernet backhual
3. I can SSH to both primary and Aimesh nodes with same creds for both

Any thoughts? Anything I check via CLI in the AiMesh node? Logs I can provide?

You can't directly connect to nodes's webui, they are centrally managed by the main router. Doing so will redirect you to the login page of the master router's webui.

Just be careful when using reboot scheduler with the RT-AC86U, due to this nasty bug that inhabit it:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-sometimes-powers-completely-off-during-reboot.48296/

Same issue here. almost 2 weeks without a glitch...than totally impossible to log into. Had to restart twice. Now it works again. I have another issue with reboot scheduler so I will manually reboot every weekend.

The issue that you mean is this one?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-sometimes-powers-completely-off-during-reboot.48296/

I have had to revert back to 384.12 because my RT-AC86U with Merlin 384.13 would peg at 100% on both cores after a couple of days.
Reboot and they would stabilize but then creep back up to 100% after a few days.
When 100% pegged, CPU temp is 88*+
When stabilized CPU temp is a cool 72*-75*

Only running AMTM, Skynet and Diversion. USB drive in USB2 mode for swap. Nothing more nothing less.
.13 was installed on a clean router.

I am running .13 on my RT-AC66U_B1 with no issues at all.

I can't seem to find anyone else reporting the same issue.

So, what's need to be disabled to not use trend stuff?

Administration/Privacy will offer the option to Withdraw wholesale if currently using any 'trend stuff'. Presumably you must Agree upon first enabling/invoking any 'trend stuff'.

OE

*** UPDATE ***
Now the exclamation mark has cleared automatically. I guess No-IP was having an issue on their end at the time I noticed this on my router. So, no problem now.

I have an "official" RT-AC68U running 384.13. I did a dirty upgrade from .12 which was working without issues.

I'm having a weird issue with dynamic DNS using No-IP. On the Network Map screen I have an exclamation mark next to my DDNS hostname. If I click on the exclamation mark it it says "Registration is successful.". That's odd since I thought the exclamation mark was to highlight an issue. If I go to the WAN - DDNS page, the DDNS status says "Request error! Please try again.".

My PW for No-IP hasn't changed in a long time and I confirmed I can logon to my account on the No-IP website using my PW.

If I overlay the PW field on the WAN - DDNS page with my current PW and click Apply, the DDNS status on the page changes to "Registration is successful.". However, if I go back to the Network Map screen I still see the exclamation mark next to my DDNS hostname. If I then go back to the WAN - DDNS page, the DDNS status again says "Request error! Please try again.".

How do I fix this?

Last edited:
Can the AiMesh main router be in Access Point mode? If I have two Asus routers with Merlin firmware in my LAN and both are in AP mode, is it possible to link them together with AiMesh? And if they can, is it usefull to do so?

Is it expected behavior that WAN->WAN DNS SETTING->Connect to DNS servers automatically (setting it to yes) seems to override what settings you have in DNS over TLS?

Can the AiMesh main router be in Access Point mode? If I have two Asus routers with Merlin firmware in my LAN and both are in AP mode, is it possible to link them together with AiMesh? And if they can, is it usefull to do so?

You can continue using your two APs as they are wired to your site router; or you can wire one as "Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode" and add the other to it as "AiMesh Node" with wired or wireless backhaul, assuming they both support AiMesh.

The AiMesh approach might offer a bit easier management, one wireless backhaul option, all AiMesh WiFi on the same channel per band, and probably better same-SSID roaming if both routers support Smart Connect node band steering. But... you'll have to try it to know for sure... it's worth a try, imo.

OE

Is it expected behavior that WAN->WAN DNS SETTING->Connect to DNS servers automatically (setting it to yes) seems to override what settings you have in DNS over TLS?

They don't. They are only used when the router is booting and doing its initial NTP sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!