What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discovered by RT-AC86U is no longer counting the bits...anyone else run into this, or have any suggestions? I don't recall any changes being made about 10 days ago.

upload_2019-9-2_21-45-54.png

Upgraded all my 3 routers to 384.13 and finally enabled AiMesh. Got very low speeds at first, and then i realised i have to set my nodes to wired instead of automatically (which went on wireless). But even then, my DL & UL speed on the nodes were about 50-60% lower than i had before.
What am i doing wrong?

Upgraded all my 3 routers to 384.13 and finally enabled AiMesh. Got very low speeds at first, and then i realised i have to set my nodes to wired instead of automatically (which went on wireless). But even then, my DL & UL speed on the nodes were about 50-60% lower than i had before.
What am i doing wrong?

I would put Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 on the 86U router. And Asuswrt 45717 on the nodes. WebUI Restore w/Initialize all routers/nodes. Configure the router minimally from scratch. Add the nodes (no configuration required). Deploy/Wire the nodes. Set wired node Connection Priority to Ethernet. And then try some wired and wireless speed tests at each router/node using a capable PC.

What are your nominal ISP speeds and are you getting those when wired to the router?

See my install notes for minimal configuration clues.

OE

For the first time with a Merlin firmware, my Kindle can't see the SSIDs and manually setting it up still doesn't connect.

Can someone suggest how I should troubleshoot?

Hi there,
I have 3 annoying problems after update from previous 12 version to this:

1) I'm using all ports on rt88u but each day I must do power off/power on cycle because ports 4-8 not working. All windows machines connected to this ports show that cable are not connected. After power cycle everything works again for couple of hours. In previous version everything works ok.

2) In my house there are 10 iot shelly devices. They are using wifi and CoAP protocol. For some reason in this version they are not recognized in network. Shelly has application to manage this devices on windows called Shelly Admin. This application can't find this devices but they are avaiable by http (they have small embeded web server). Of course when i reboot router everything works for couple hours.

3) And last most strange. I don't use vpn server on router but on my synology nas. I have enabled routing vpn to lan. Of course this only works for couple hours after rebooting router.

There is nothing in logs. Any suggestions?

Hi there,
I have 3 annoying problems after update from previous 12 version to this:

1) I'm using all ports on rt88u but each day I must do power off/power on cycle because ports 4-8 not working. All windows machines connected to this ports show that cable are not connected. After power cycle everything works again for couple of hours. In previous version everything works ok.

2) In my house there are 10 iot shelly devices. They are using wifi and CoAP protocol. For some reason in this version they are not recognized in network. Shelly has application to manage this devices on windows called Shelly Admin. This application can't find this devices but they are avaiable by http (they have small embeded web server). Of course when i reboot router everything works for couple hours.

3) And last most strange. I don't use vpn server on router but on my synology nas. I have enabled routing vpn to lan. Of course this only works for couple hours after rebooting router.

There is nothing in logs. Any suggestions?
Did you factory reset after the update, also try disabling spanning tree protocol it caused me issue with a few things.

For the first time with a Merlin firmware, my Kindle can't see the SSIDs and manually setting it up still doesn't connect.

Can someone suggest how I should troubleshoot?
Try changing the WiFi channel.

Reactions: ray
Did you factory reset after the update, also try disabling spanning tree protocol it caused me issue with a few things.
Yes, That was firts thing that I do - factory reset. Where I can disable this spining tree protocol?

Hi,

Finally and after 33 days of operation my rt-ax88 with merlin 384.13 experienced a problem that forced me to reboot it. The 5Ghz band reached a state where no clients where allowed to authenticate (they gave the message that the password was suddently incorrect). Restarting the wifi service through command line and / or changing any of the 5Ghz wifi parameters did not fix the issue. Rebooting the router did fix it.

Is there anything to check if this problem happens again ? any magic 'service restart_xxx command allows for restarting only the authentication components for WPA2 ?

Regards

Is there anything to check if this problem happens again ? any magic 'service restart_xxx command allows for restarting only the authentication components for WPA2 ?
You could check if there is anything in Syslog to trigger execution of the following:
Code:
killall eapd

eapd >/dev/null 2>&1                    # v384.xx now is very verbal when it starts!

Reactions: FTC
This isnt necessarily an issue with the merlin firmware as Ive noticed it with other versions as well but does anyone know why most of the time when I roam to the upstairs node & come back downstairs (or vice-versa)
the link speed on my galaxy 5 phone shows a very low number, like 24Mb/s (it still shows signal strength as very strong) but browsing is slow?
I have to turn wifi off & back on on my phone so it will connect back to 866Mb/s & have fast web browsing.

I know its an outdated phone but I cant help to think its not the phone thats the issue. Besides this it roams great. I am close to the routers so distance is not the issue.

Asus rt-ac86u main 384.13
asus rt-ac68u node 45717

Ran into issues with 5GHz today as well. I have an AC86U in AP mode on 384.13. 5GHz would not connect. No authentication errors just no connection. Pixel 2 and 3 show "disabled" for the connection. Asus laptop just simply said "can not connect". Rebooted the AP and everything is back to normal. I think I've been on the firmware for a week and half or so.

Ran into issues with 5GHz today as well. I have an AC86U in AP mode on 384.13. 5GHz would not connect. No authentication errors just no connection. Pixel 2 and 3 show "disabled" for the connection. Asus laptop just simply said "can not connect". Rebooted the AP and everything is back to normal. I think I've been on the firmware for a week and half or so.

This could still be my case.. I got authentication errors BUT also no connection in other devices. I think it depends on how the client parses the error what message it gets displayed

You could check if there is anything in Syslog to trigger execution of the following:
Code:
killall eapd

eapd >/dev/null 2>&1                    # v384.xx now is very verbal when it starts!

This is great info. Many thanks. I will try it whenever / if the problem reproduces and post back.

ive been having weird internet connection issues with this version as well. it mostly starts with wifi being able to connect but no internet on all the devices. if i go really hard with a full duplicati backup i can sometimes get it to kill wired internet as well. its odd that just a reboot from the gooey wont fix it and i need to restart the modem as well. if i go back to 384_12 it seems to fix most of it but i can watch the gooey main page where it shows the internet connection status and can see it disconnect there as well but it doesnt bring down my wifi/wired at all.

i have no idea if this is related to what you guys are experiencing but ill follow along with the thread.

I've had to downgrade to 384.11_2 - The 5GHZ WiFi seems flakey on this version (384.13), keeps dropping clients and especially worse on the 3200. Since downgrading been working perfectly. 384.11_2 seems more stable.

I went from 384.10 to 384.13 on my AC86U a few days ago and the 5 GHz band is performing noticeably worse than before. The worst download speeds I've seen in a long time and random dropouts. Neither occurred anywhere near as often as they are on this firmware version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!