What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 (and 384.13_2) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This message is related to the icons in the GUI(networkmap), it has no influence on anything else .
Maybe you’re right.

But my problem is, my AC86U is useless without running DHCP Server. I try to find problem, error’s or anomaly in the log. Unfortunately I’m definitely not familiar whit that.

Maybe its bad luck, but before the Update I had no problem with my router.

My Router is now useless. It looks like updating to 384.14_2 has bricked my AC86U.

Hmm... Thought you weren't supposed to restore a prior versions backup? There has to be differences in some of the configs that are changed in an upgrade that you wiped out in the backup restore.
384.14_2 working well for me on the RT-AC66U_B1 and RT-AC68U's. Dirty upgrade on all three...
It is sick to set up from scratch. You did it right. It is recommended to perform the clean installation. I do it at my own risk. As I have the necessary knowledge of the possible flaws, I will correct it. For me it is perfectly functional. It is better than the previous version.

Last edited:
Maybe you’re right.

But my problem is, my AC86U is useless without running DHCP Server. I try to find problem, error’s or anomaly in the log. Unfortunately I’m definitely not familiar whit that.

Maybe its bad luck, but before the Update I had no problem with my router.

My Router is now useless. It looks like updating to 384.14_2 has bricked my AC86U.
Remove any USB drives
Factory restore then do a minimal config.
Power cycle
Flash 384.14_2 again.
Another factory reset and check Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History.
Configure the router manually. Do not restore saved backups!

Remove any USB drives
Factory restore then do a minimal config.
Power cycle
Flash 384.14_2 again.
Another factory reset and check Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History.
Configure the router manually. Do not restore saved backups!
It looks like a reboot of the Switch has solved the Problem.

Ever since this recent update, one device in my home seems to be randomly selected to get terrible wifi reception (<1 mbps down). Every other device on wifi will get the normal 150+ mbps. Maybe it's a simple setting that needs to be changed but I'm not sure what it could be. One constant is that my firestick upstairs consistently receives poor signal now.

Using ASUS 5300, did two factory resets but problem is still there. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which device gets the poor reception. Day one was one of my Nest cameras. Rebooted the router, camera works but now my cell phone won't get any signal. Rebooted, now my laptop doesn't get signal. Etc.

Any ideas?

@Chris121284, try testing by setting up a new (Guest) SSID that you've never used (ever) before that contains between 8 and 16 alphanumeric characters with no smiley faces, punctuation or special characters (in both the SSID and the password).

Do all devices work now? If they do; either use that new SSID/password combination on your main network or 'forget' and re-associate all your devices individually.

It is physically impossible for a client device to 'not get signal' when others do. They are simply confused somehow. :)

please, help me

rt-ac68u (384.14 ap mode 8080 port) from outside sometimes
Unable to connect.

but, rt-ac88u(main router) able connect.

Last edited:
Ever since this recent update, one device in my home seems to be randomly selected to get terrible wifi reception (<1 mbps down). Every other device on wifi will get the normal 150+ mbps. Maybe it's a simple setting that needs to be changed but I'm not sure what it could be. One constant is that my firestick upstairs consistently receives poor signal now.

Using ASUS 5300, did two factory resets but problem is still there. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which device gets the poor reception. Day one was one of my Nest cameras. Rebooted the router, camera works but now my cell phone won't get any signal. Rebooted, now my laptop doesn't get signal. Etc.

Any ideas?

My AC88U stabilized after i turned OFF x2 chromecast and x1 nest mini. Still trying to pin point the rouge device. Currently on 384.14_2

@L&LD
First of all, thank you. Second of all, wow. I'm a total noob so I might just be easily impressed, but that worked completely. After I made my post, I turned my third Nest camera on that had been manually turned off since before the update. I realized that it too would not connect to the internet. I tried to manually set it back up. Upon choosing a network to connect to, it showed my network but the signal strength icon was not at full strength (camera is 4 feet from the router). I found that odd. Wouldn't connect.

I came back here and saw your message and all I did was remove my current guest network and create a new one exactly how you instructed. Refreshed the network list on my Nest app, suddenly my main network shows full strength. Connected that camera to the guest network anyway, worked like a charm. Backed out to my list of cameras on Nest app, now the other camera that was disconnected suddenly was connected and working fine again. Went upstairs and checked the firestick, works like a charm too. None of these devices were ever connected to my guest network.

Maybe you're a wizard but thanks for the help!!!

Side question: do you suppose it's safe to disconnect the nest cam from the guest network and connect to my main network now?
Bonus side question: do you suppose i can remove this new guest network and set up a new one with the same SSID as my original guest network?

Thanks one more time, I would have not been able to figure that out on my own.

Side question: I would say, 'only if you give your main network another, brand new, never before used SSID and password' with the same parameters as I originally suggested above. :)

Bonus side question: I would guess that doing so will eventually have you asking for more help (sooner or later). :)

You're welcome, glad it helped.

Side question: I would say, 'only if you give your main network another, brand new, never before used SSID and password' with the same parameters as I originally suggested above. :)

Bonus side question: I would guess that doing so will eventually have you asking for more help (sooner or later). :)

You're welcome, glad it helped.

lol okay fair enough. Thanks again, you're awesome!

Any ideas?
FYI: 384.14 caused on both of my RT-AC5300's that the signal strength dropped around 8% on each wifi channel (compared to 384.13). That problem is completely solved in the current 384.15alpha I am running. If you do not feel comfortable running Alpha and or Beta firmware, it is just a matter of some patience until 384.15 is released or move back to 384.13. (384.15 is very promising, the average throughput speed of my devices has increased with 30%, it is stabile and the signal strength is on par).

Further I have some Nest Protects that I seem pretty sensitive to be setup with the router firmware that is current. (Not an Asus thing but somehow in the DNA of Nest).

Hi
I have an AC3100 and just dirty upgraded from 384.13 to 384.14_2
Router is behaving normally but I’m getting a lot of these messages

Code:
Jan  6 08:17:25 RT-AC3100-0548 dnsmasq-script[24718]: connect error: No such file or directory
Jan  6 08:17:25 RT-AC3100-0548 dnsmasq-script[24718]: [SEND_AMAS_NODE_EVENT:(4684)] ERROR connecting:No such file or directory.
Jan  6 08:17:25 RT-AC3100-0548 dnsmasq-script[24718]: connect error: No such file or directory
Jan  6 08:17:25 RT-AC3100-0548 dnsmasq-script[24718]: [SEND_AMAS_NODE_EVENT:(4684)] ERROR connecting:No such file or directory.
Jan  6 08:17:26 RT-AC3100-0548 dnsmasq-script[24718]: connect error: No such file or directory
Jan  6 08:17:26 RT-AC3100-0548 dnsmasq-script[24718]: [SEND_AMAS_NODE_EVENT:(4684)] ERROR connecting:No such file or directory.
Jan  6 08:18:57 RT-AC3100-0548 dnsmasq-script[24718]: connect error: No such file or directory
Jan  6 08:18:57 RT-AC3100-0548 dnsmasq-script[24718]: [SEND_AMAS_NODE_EVENT:(4684)] ERROR connecting:No such file or directory.

@andresmorago does a reboot help (and waiting at least 10 minutes after it has rebooted)?

no. I rebooted and waited several times.

One thing that I’m noticing it fixed it was to reinstall diversion. these errors were caused by diversion not being being able to start. I believe that the usb drive isn’t ready fast enough on .14 and .15alpha and this causes diversion to generate errors.

@andresmorago does a reboot help (and waiting at least 10 minutes after it has rebooted)?

I had weird problem with my router in previous posts. I did a hard reset, upgarded with 384.14_2 and now WAN shows disconnected, but internet works, not a big deal. BUT< I can't see my client list anymore, it just shows 0. That's useful for me.

I can't see my client list anymore, it just shows 0. That's useful for me.
I believe the fact that your using an unsupported router (based on your comments from 2018) is your issue. See sticky thread regarding that model.....

I have the same log entries. Clean upgraded my RT-AC31oo to 384.14_2 from 384.14 (that was clean upgraded to 384.14).

Additional problem I see:
My mesh routers (another RT-AC3100 and one RT-AC86U both on 384.14_2) do cause the main AC3100 to fail on reboot (no ISP connect, no usable wifi ). I have to keep the mesh nodes OFF till it's fully up and running and stable. (takes about 10 min with multiple wifi on/off cycles (due to AMTM/ Diversion / SkyNet / DNSMasq etc?). Annoying as I do a weekly reboot (I'm seeing memory usage creep up during the week) and live in a area with occasional power outages.

I started seeing this on 384.14 when I also upgraded the mesh nodes to Merlin as I didn't expect it to be a problem. When I had the main router on 384.13 with the mesh nodes on factory Asus firmware, I had none of these issues.
Trying to find time to downgrade the mesh nodes to standard Asus and see if that resolves the problem.

I'm a bit gun shy from running the .15 Alpha ....

FYI: 384.14 caused on both of my RT-AC5300's that the signal strength dropped around 8% on each wifi channel (compared to 384.13). That problem is completely solved in the current 384.15alpha I am running. If you do not feel comfortable running Alpha and or Beta firmware, it is just a matter of some patience until 384.15 is released or move back to 384.13. (384.15 is very promising, the average throughput speed of my devices has increased with 30%, it is stabile and the signal strength is on par).

Further I have some Nest Protects that I seem pretty sensitive to be setup with the router firmware that is current. (Not an Asus thing but somehow in the DNA of Nest).
Hi
I have an AC3100 and just dirty upgraded from 384.13 to 384.14_2
Router is behaving normally but I’m getting a lot of these messages

Code:
Jan  6 08:17:26 RT-AC3100-0548 dnsmasq-script[24718]: connect error: No such file or directory
Jan  6 08:17:26 RT-AC3100-0548 dnsmasq-script[24718]: [SEND_AMAS_NODE_EVENT:(4684)] ERROR connecting:No such file or directory.
Jan  6 08:18:57 RT-AC3100-0548 dnsmasq-script[24718]: connect error: No such file or directory
Jan  6 08:18:57 RT-AC3100-0548 dnsmasq-script[24718]: [SEND_AMAS_NODE_EVENT:(4684)] ERROR connecting:No such file or directory.

I have the same log entries. Clean upgraded my RT-AC31oo to 384.14_2 from 384.14 (that was clean upgraded to 384.14).

Additional problem I see:
My mesh routers (another RT-AC3100 and one RT-AC86U both on 384.14_2) do cause the main AC3100 to fail on reboot (no ISP connect, no usable wifi ). I have to keep the mesh nodes OFF till it's fully up and running and stable. (takes about 10 min with multiple wifi on/off cycles (due to AMTM/ Diversion / SkyNet / DNSMasq etc?). Annoying as I do a weekly reboot (I'm seeing memory usage creep up during the week) and live in a area with occasional power outages.

I started seeing this on 384.14 when I also upgraded the mesh nodes to Merlin as I didn't expect it to be a problem. When I had the main router on 384.13 with the mesh nodes on factory Asus firmware, I had none of these issues.
Trying to find time to downgrade the mesh nodes to standard Asus and see if that resolves the problem.

I'm a bit gun shy from running the .15 Alpha ....
I have different devices (RT-AC5300) but the Alpha that RMerlin has released is absolutely stabile. It solved a lot of small things that I encountered with 384.14. (Normally I keep on of my routers on the previous version but this Alpha version was a no brainer to be hesitant and I installed it after a while on the second as well. Both routers are faster, the signal strength is back and my LAN WAN performance is significantly better. A quick and dirty update should do the trick....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!