What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 (and 384.13_2) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgraded to 384.14, DNSSEC resolver test fails and IPv6 test fails. Reverted to Beta 3 for a while seems OK so far.

Cloudflare dnssec works fine on RT-AC86U, however...

RT-AC68U: dirty upgrade from .13 to .14. Upgrade itself went fine but am now hit with this:
disco.jpg

Went to the Administration->System page, no Network Monitoring was enabled. Tried Ping, no luck. Tried DNS Query, no luck. It appears to be a visual problem only, access to the internet is working.

+1

I had a weird thing happen. I had just upgraded to 384.14 from beta 3, and there was a stock f/w upgrade available for my node, 3.0.0.4.385 something, so I did. Afterwards, the clients in my home started dropping because of a weak or no signal, and I was backing up to a NAS on the same ethernet line as the node, very slow. So, I rolled back to 3.0.0.4.384_81351-gcb63868 and now everything is smooth again. Maybe just a coincidence, I dunno. Or maybe I should start my node on Merlin, also?

EDIT: Looks like my wireless woes are on the receiving end. The AC68U node is performing properly. A 4k Fire stick has problems looks like, barely connecting.

RT-AC86U w/ Merlin 384.14, RT-AC68U aimesh node, stock f/w, ethernet priority, Windscribe on OpenVPN, diversion & skynet scripts (so far).

Last edited:
Test router RT-AC86U, clean install 384.14
No TrendMicro, no Scripts, no USB drives, basic setup matching my own router.

- router did not boot at one of the restarts (ASUS issue, never fixed, very disappointing)
- lower link rates reported in Network Map compared to 384.12 (as mentioned by others)
- Icons in Network Map do not stick (had to change them 3 times)
- Clients name do not stick in Network Map (had to enter them also 3 times)
- System Log flooded by all kind of debug messages (not a real issue, but I don't like it)
- Clear System Log doesn't seem to clear anything, on restart I see the logs from previous restarts

Mine definitely stays on 384.12 with 45717 base (I don't need/use AiMesh), in my opinion the best firmware released by ASUS for RT-AC86U. When I have some more time I'm going to replace the ASUS with something else. Two years of testing is more than enough.

* - 384.12 -> 1300Mbps to my Wireless Bridge; 384.14 -> 1053Mbps to my Wireless Bridge; the 2 routers are side by side, Wireless Settings all the same. There is a difference in link speeds to other clients too and the throughput is accordingly lower.

Last edited:
I upgraded my RT-AX88U from 384.13 (final) to 384.14 (final) this afternoon; however, I lost the ability to access both mapped network USB drives in Windows 10.

Going into 384.14, I have SMBv2 (only) selected as the protocol version.

I tried switching to SMBv1 + SMBv2, rebooting my router, my PC, unmounting both drives, physically reconnecting them, etc., no luck. The "Device" name would show up in Windows Explorer->Network, but when I tried clicking on it, it wouldn't connect. Both drives appear in the Network Map as well as in the USB Application->Samba. Also, I could access the folders that were manually setup for DLNA (through Windows Explorer->Network->Network Locations [RT-AX88U]).

Enabling SMBv1 within Win10 and rebooting made accessing the USB network maps work again.

I switched back to SMBv2 (only) and downgraded to 384.13... both drives were accessible like normal. I went back to my other computer, disabled SMBv1 within Win10, rebooted, and that's back working again.

Any recommendations to help me get 384.14 working?

Have an AC66UB1, tried beta3 and 14 final about 10 times so far and the update doesn't take, it stays stuck on 14 beta 2. upload by and large gets between 78-83% then reboots without showing the "upgrade percentage" indicators... that managed to pop up only once during my upgrade attempts but still failed ultimately to upgrade the system.

Last edited:
Smooth (dirty) upgrade of my RT-AC68U from 384.13 after almost 100 days of uptime. Thanks for your work @RMerlin !

No issues on my 5300 so far

Ok

Ok, I applied your suggestions, and the result is:
1) in ddns -> server certificate the Status show always the word updating
2) in ddns -> server certificate the date of expires is 2028/5/5
3) sometimes in the system log appears this messages :
Dec 14 22:54:59 modprobe: module nf_conntrack_proto_gre not found in modules.dep
Dec 14 22:54:59 modprobe: module nf_nat_proto_gre not found in modules.dep
Dec 14 22:54:59 modprobe: module nf_conntrack_pptp not found in modules.dep
Dec 14 22:54:59 modprobe: module nf_nat_pptp not found in modules.dep
4) the kernel error in the log appears when I reboot the router with the ssd usb is connect. I try to format the ssd but the problem isn’t solved. If I detach the ssd, and reboot the router and when the router is up I attach the ssd ... the kernel log doesn’t appears.
+1

I've done some throughput testing and it appears to be unaffected. Also, while signal strength seems to be slightly less, wireless connection fidelity seems to be improved.

Ping times are rock solid on my iMac on 5Ghz. Pinging the router from the iMac produces ping times of just 1-3ms and the occasional spikes are pretty much non-existent now. Jitter is currently average 2.1ms which is excellent for 5Ghz wifi to a router 2 rooms away.

I do not want my RT-AC87U to know my DDNS and for this reason I have always included the update command of my IP address in the script /jffs/scripts/services-start. I also have entware, skynet and diversion installed.

Well, since the last firmware update 384.13_2 the script /jffs/scripts/services-start does not work. To make it work I had to move the script to /mnt/sda2/entware/etc/init.d/S00services-start.

Why doesn't the IP update script work in /jffs/scripts/services-start?

Managed to get it working finally, in brave browser, the update failed 10 times... in dissenter browser, which I typically use for updates, it worked on the second attempt... 12 in all at least. Finally! On each attempt dissenter always showed the percentage complete, which was not present in brave.

Managed to get it working finally, in brave browser, the update failed 10 times... in dissenter browser, which I typically use for updates, it worked on the second attempt... 12 in all at least. Finally! On each attempt dissenter always showed the percentage complete, which was not present in brave.
Do you have any usb drives attached? If so, next time disconnect them before upgrading.

Updated my RT-AX88U from 384.13 to 384.14. It mostly worked fine but:
Code:
 - FIXED: Asus DDNS failing to update due to an invalid
           certificate on Asus's server.

Asus DDNS still fails to update for me because of wrong certificate.
Code:
Dec 15 14:21:18 inadyn[2512]: Certificate verification error:num=10:certificate has expired:depth=0:/CN=ns1.asuscomm.com

I've seen this before.. in prior versions. It had something to do with a ping test or dns test lookup failing.... IDK if that helps in this upgrade..

Weird issue. Upgraded my AC86U and saw CPU core 2 pegged at 100%. Did a nuclear reset (was time to anyways) and a M&M config. And still, the moment I plug in a usb disk, core 2 maxes out. Tried different disks, both usb 2/3 ports but issue persists.

No one else seeing this?

I've updated my RT-AC87U to 384.13_2 and it's all looking good. Thank you RMerlin for your continued support of these routers. Let's hope Asus will be as good. Will a large multinational corporation be able to keep up with one professional doing this on his spare time?

Weird issue. Upgraded my AC86U and saw CPU core 2 pegged at 100%. Did a nuclear reset (was time to anyways) and a M&M config. And still, the moment I plug in a usb disk, core 2 maxes out. Tried different disks, both usb 2/3 ports but issue persists.

No one else seeing this?
I had noticed this issue sometime ago on my 1900P unit on 384.13 with a USB drive with a swap file. Thought it was a firmware issue as all other functions of the router were fine. I eventually started experiencing strange performance issues and decided to try formatting a new USB drive using AMTM and transferring my configs over to the new drive. Once I Did this, performance issues went away and my processor cores went down to normal.

I had noticed this issue sometime ago on my 1900P unit on 384.13 with a USB drive with a swap file. Thought it was a firmware issue as all other functions of the router were fine. I eventually started experiencing strange performance issues and decided to try formatting a new USB drive using AMTM and transferring my configs over to the new drive. Once I Did this, performance issues went away and my processor cores went down to normal.

If miniDLNA is configured to refresh its database at startup it does so using a lot of CPU this also happen when you insert the disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!