What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 (and 384.13_6) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where was this 2020 CVE patched weeks ago? For example, I don't see it patched on stock ac86u stock firmware? Do you mean it was patched on your version only? Curious...

I meant patched in my version. I don't know where Asus is at with this patch, which was why I decided to keep a low profile about it.

is it possible to adjust the limits of the traffic meter so the bars only fill when I'm hitting my ISP speed limit? (eg. 50/10 Mbps download and unload speed).

The meter will use the QoS values as a starting point if QoS is enabled. Otherwise, it will simply determine the max speed as new peaks are reached while monitoring, similar to how, for example, Windows's own traffic monitoring works.

I don't want to add new settings just for that meter as that would be a waste of nvram, and provide cryptic settings that nobody would even know to adjust.

Is there much difference between the beta2 and release code?

Zero difference in the networking code. Your issue lies elsewhere, most likely with your configuration. Having the channel set to Auto for instance can provide different results every time your reboot your router (like when you update it, for example).

Did a dirty update from .15 - 16 on my AC86 yesterday with both USBs mounted and scripts running. Went perfectly and after update both VPN clients running, VPN Server running and the wheels hasn't started spinning yet and all scripts functioning.

Thanks Merlin and happy birthday!

@RMerlin

Is there a way to center align the meters or do you plan to use the space to the right for something else.

Or not possible to move them at all?

My RT-AC3100 running 384.16 had an issue today. The 2.4GHz light was off, and devices connected to it (hardwired and wireless) were reporting no internet. I couldn't access the web interface of the router, but after manually rebooting it, everything worked as normal. During one of the betas, I couldn't access the web interface (although internet worked) and a reboot resolved that issue. Any idea what can possibly cause these issues?

@RMerlin

Is there a way to center align the meters or do you plan to use the space to the right for something else.

Or not possible to move them at all?

I don't know for sure, I'd have to review the actual CSS code involved.

Can someone please post what the new Main GUI on AC86u page looks like..see attached image with RAM chart which i still like to see.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 273
I don't know if it is related with latest release, but it was working before installing it:
When I do some actions, like turn on or off the vpn client, I loose connection with my local hostnames (xxx.lan)
To solve it, I have to fully reboot.

Any thoughts?

I have tried just now and it also says Signature update failure. I tried a couple of hours ago and it said it was up to date :confused:. Maybe a problem with the servers?
here also only on 384.15 whit a RT-AC88U

Nice...now i'm just wondering wifi stability on AC86u (previously on .14 and .15 i was getting a ton of assoc deassoc messages and was having 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi devices dropping)

As I said before your best bet is to install the new firmware and test, if you run into issues just rollback.

FWIW, my RT-AC68U stopped connecting on the WAN port after upgrading from 384.14.2 to 384.16. Eventually I did a factory reset, then a firmware rescue to ASUS' latest firmware, and finally updated to 384.16 and then everything worked perfectly. Think there was something wrong with a previous firmware upgrade as my RT-AC68U had high memory usage for some months even after applying the NVRAM fix but now its back to a low level. PS Big thanks to @RMerlin!

Nice...now i'm just wondering wifi stability on AC86u (previously on .14 and .15 i was getting a ton of assoc deassoc messages and was having 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi devices dropping)
That was answered by RMerlin, it is Asus left some debug code enabled that shows wireless clients connect and disconnect. Sloppy programming Asus and only they can fix it. Scribe will let you manage it to its own log file or ignore or discard so you don't have to see it.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/scribe-syslog-ng-and-logrotate-installer.55853/

FWIW, my RT-AC68U stopped connecting on the WAN port after upgrading from 384.14.2 to 384.16. Eventually I did a factory reset, then a firmware rescue to ASUS' latest firmware, and finally updated to 384.16 and then everything worked perfectly. Think there was something wrong with a previous firmware upgrade as my RT-AC68U had high memory usage for some months even after applying the NVRAM fix but now its back to a low level. PS Big thanks to @RMerlin!

Memory usage is always low after a firmware update and reboot. Monitor it after a couple days and remember unused ram is wasted ram.

Sloppy programming Asus and only they can fix it.

Im still on the fence they left it there on purpose for wireless connectivity debugging. I too was having persistent assoc/disassoc. messages and streaming issues. Came down to old Wireless N devices being unhappy with a combination of dhcp lease time/channel/beamforming/bandwidth settings for me. After much testing, I was still getting them hourly and realized it was WPA2Enterprise Key renegotiation, after setting dhcp leases to 1 week and renegotiation to 24hrs I only see them once a day in the log, and when devices actually leave/reconnect to the network.

If anything they show you issues with the config of wifi settings and compatibility with ALL devices, not an issue with the router/firmware specifically.

I think for anyone looking to ditch them its a matter of a M&M config and connect wireless clients one by one till you find the device causing the messages and find settings to alleviate them... I was gonna write a thread about my theories but life keeps getting in the way.

This is just based on my experience having them persistent in the logs to then doing a few hours of testing and ending at these results.

This is what I know for certain from RMelin who knows more than the rest of us about the inner working of Asus routers. ;)

Well theres certainly no arguing that, all I know is if it wasnt for those messages Id probably still be pulling my hair out with connections issues, when I got my 86u I was pretty close to boxing it up and taking it back it was so frustrating, but thanks to this forum and everyone who contributes I've been running pretty solid for quite a while now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!