What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.17 (and 384.13_8) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty upgrade AC86U from 384.16 to .17, OpenVPN Server 1 complains about keys (although connection still works), Server 2 is fine.

// edit: just re-saving Server 1 configuration fixed the problem

openvpn.png

Last edited:
Updated to 384.17 from 384.12 on RT-AC86U a few days ago. 25 connections, half on 5.0 wifi. I don't have anything unique. I don't do Mesh as our home is fairly small 2,500 sq ft, one story and router is centrally located. No problem with getting 2.4 wifi in back patio/yard. TV on patio gets 5.0 wifi just fine. Assign IP addresses to about 6 devices. WAN is 400mbps from Spectrum. Everything seems to be running very smooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m
I did a dirty flash from 384.16 to 384.17 and everything seemed to be working, but every few days since doing so, my Sony TV reports the wired LAN is down and that the router isn’t responding. Basically the same problem as https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...10-is-now-available.55742/page-29#post-478489 which I haven’t seen in over a year. I am using static DHCP with the TV ever since last year.

The first time this happened two or three days ago I simply rebooted the TV which got it working. Today it was down again, so I powered off the router and unplugged the TV and powered on the router and let it come up and then plugged in the TV.

I’m hoping that fixes it, but I don’t know why it stopped working previously or why it started working.

Last edited:
Noob Q.
What is a dirty flash? I am assuming that you flash to the new firmware via Asus GUI without full reset (before or after).

L&LD and K-2SO - Thanks. :)

I have recently upgraded newly opened (RT-AC68U) to Merlin approx. 2 weeks ago. No scripts or USB connected to the router. Baby steps. The (boxed/sealed) router was sitting in my basement for nearly 4 years.

Last edited:
Read here, 5th sticky thread from the top
Uh is it actually the ac1900 he's using? Looks like the AC68U is supported according to this.
Code:
Asuswrt-Merlin officially supports the following router models:

RT-AC68U  (including revisions C1 and E1)
    RT-AC68P (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
    RT-AC68UF (same firmware as RT-AC68U)

Uh is it the ac1900 he's using? Looks like the AC68U is supported according to this.
Code:
Asuswrt-Merlin officially supports the following router models:

RT-AC68U  (including revisions C1 and E1)
    RT-AC68P (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
    RT-AC68UF (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
The original post mentioned the “not-to-be-mentioned” router, since edited.

I apologize that I caused unnecessary deviation from the purpose of this thread but as a noobie here, I wanted to just confirm my assumption for the definition of "Dirty Flash". This was answered in post #187 and #188. I was not requesting any help on "unsupported routers" in this (or any other) thread. Let's be back on topic that I upgraded from Asus standard firmware to Merlin 384.16 without all the resets and like that it much simple than the DD-WRT that I was used on my TP-Link N router. I will probably ask questions about scripts, etc. in separate thread. The 384.16 firmware is working well for me for nearly 1-2 weeks but I have not done any scripting or connected any USB drive.

I did a dirty flash from 384.16 to 384.17 and everything seemed to be working, but every few days since doing so, my Sony TV reports the wired LAN is down and that the router isn’t responding. Basically the same problem as https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...10-is-now-available.55742/page-29#post-478489 which I haven’t seen in over a year. I am using static DHCP with the TV ever since last year.

The first time this happened two or three days ago I simply rebooted the TV which got it working. Today it was down again, so I powered off the router and unplugged the TV and powered on the router and let it come up and then plugged in the TV.

I’m hoping that fixes it, but I don’t know why it stopped working previously or why it started working.

My Sony Android TV is reporting it’s offline again. It’s showing “Local access: Failed”. When I run a diagnostic test it’s saying “the router function of your router may be be turned off. Turn it on and try again”. It’s only been a few hours since I powered everything off and on again.

I have a RT-AC88U. Any ideas?

My Sony Android TV is reporting it’s offline again. It’s showing “Local access: Failed”. When I run a diagnostic test it’s saying “the router function of your router may be be turned off. Turn it on and try again”. It’s only been a few hours since I powered everything off and on again.

I have a RT-AC88U. Any ideas?
Did you try to roll back to previous version and checked if the problem still persists?

Did you try to roll back to previous version and checked if the problem still persists?

I haven’t, but this happened a year ago. At the time I rolled back and the problem went away, but then upgraded and it was still gone.

I haven’t really seen this since then. I may have had it once on 384.16, but this is the third time I’ve seen it since upgrading to 384.17 and the second time today.

What’s weird is unplugging the network cable from the TV and plugging it back in resolves it, which would seem to indicate something on the TV’s end, but it was definitely triggered by the router upgrade. I don’t know what would have changed that would cause the TV’s network stack to stop working until the network cable is unplugged and plugged back in.

While in a broken state I tried manually adding the TV’s MAC address to windows and I still couldn’t ping it. It wouldn’t respond. The TV does support Wifi, but I don’t like using that as it’s not as stable.

I haven’t, but this happened a year ago. At the time I rolled back and the problem went away, but then upgraded and it was still gone.

I haven’t really seen this since then. I may have had it once on 384.16, but this is the third time I’ve seen it since upgrading to 384.17 and the second time today.

What’s weird is unplugging the network cable from the TV and plugging it back in resolves it, which would seem to indicate something on the TV’s end, but it was definitely triggered by the router upgrade. I don’t know what would have changed that would cause the TV’s network stack to stop working until the network cable is unplugged and plugged back in.

While in a broken state I tried manually adding the TV’s MAC address to windows and I still couldn’t ping it. It wouldn’t respond. The TV does support Wifi, but I don’t like using that as it’s not as stable.
Some other ideas (with still the current firmware) -
1. Bad LAN port on the TV (I guess that this probability is low but cannot be ruled out)
2. Try changing to a different Ethernet cable.
3. Try using the another source port.

Some other ideas (with still the current firmware) -
1. Bad LAN port on the TV (I guess that this probability is low but cannot be ruled out)
2. Try changing to a different Ethernet cable.
3. Try using the another source port.

What do you mean by “another source port”?

By the way, I’ll mention that the TV is not connected directly to the router. It is connected to a multi port switch, which is then bridged to the router over a MOCA connection. From the TV’s perspective though it would think it’s connected to the router.

A PC is connected to that same switch.

One thing I have noticed with the TV is that it frequently makes DHCP requests. It always has. I don’t know what would happen if the router didn’t respond or responded “oddly”. That’s one of the reasons I set up a static DHCP as once I saw the router show 2 different IP addresses for the TV (wifi is disabled).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!