What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@D_Day From what I can see you only routed 1 device to vpn
I would try to add after that 1device
Wan devices--192.168.1.0/24--0.0.0.0--WAN
To ensure all your other devices goes through wan and don't lose Internet if tunnel goes down
Apply settings
Reboot and test again
Yes I only have 1 device routed to VPN at the moment but I usually 4 or 5 on 3 different clients for geographical reasons but I want to get the first one running properly before I set the others up.

Yes I only have 1 device routed to VPN at the moment but I usually 4 or 5 on 3 different clients for geographical reasons but I want to get the first one running properly before I set the others up.

Your device ---192.168.1.56----0.0.0.0--VPN

Try it! If it don't help just remove it again

Last edited:
Im also using ovpn.com and working fine. Have two clients running at same time. Use theirs config files they are working.

Your device ---192.168.1.56----0.0.0.0--VPN

Try it! If it don't help just remove it again
I’ve added it but I’m unable to test it until tomorrow now, kids are getting a little frustrated with me messing about lol
Thanks for all your help and I’ll let you know how I get on!

No you should not need to reboot the router to regain internet when you stop your vpn client (you turn it back on yourself) or tunnel goes down so killswitch block client on vpn.. it should reconnect and make a new tunnel and restore internet to your vpn clients
and the router need to be on your ISP WAN and the devices behind it can be on VPN, it will not be more insecure with the line i gave you
The Problem is when you dident have 192.168.1.1 on wan in that list..Killswitch also killed your ISP internet connection to the router then the only solution was a reboot since vpn client start much later in the boot process
perhaps some some clarification will help

without the 192.168.1.1 WAN added to the rules
if i switch on the VPN it works as i expect ....i have internet connection via my VPN provider ( PIA)
if i switch off the VPN all internet connection is disabled
if i switch on the VPN again i regain my internet connection via my VPN

if i want to have an internet connection without VPN I have to reboot my router.

i will now do the same exercise with 192.168.1.1 WAN added to the rules

perhaps some some clarification will help

without the 192.168.1.1 WAN added to the rules
if i switch on the VPN it works as i expect ....i have internet connection via my VPN provider ( PIA)
if i switch off the VPN all internet connection is disabled
if i switch on the VPN again i regain my internet connection via my VPN

if i want to have an internet connection without VPN I have to reboot my router.

i will now do the same exercise with 192.168.1.1 WAN added to the rules
exactly the same results, so doesnt look like adding 192.168.1.1 WAN makes any difference ??

thanks !
ok so i watched the video, i didnt spot anything specific to my issue...did i miss something ?

not fogetting that my main issue is that when the VPN disconnects in use by itself, the router reconnects itself to my ISP address / servers, but it should be blocked by "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" being enabled

and thanks for all your help by the way, your support is much appreciated, even if i dont seem to be getting anywhere

Last edited:
thanks !
ok so i watched the video, i didnt spot anything specific to my issue...did i miss something ?

not fogetting that my main issue is that when the VPN disconnects in use by itself, the router reconnects itself to my ISP address / servers, but it should be blocked by "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" being enabled

and thanks for all your help by the way, your support is much appreciated, even if i dont seem to be getting anywhere

Block routed clients if tunnel goes down: yes?
If set to No the vpn could behave like that..
Try change to No and apply then Yes apply
Reboot and test again
What happens in system log when killswitch is activated
Change log verbosity to 5
Hope you can get some clues there?
I'm sorry for not being able to provide more help

Last edited:
is there a reason why my TM-1900 converted to ac68u no longer updates via GUI? since 384.5 flashing via GUI it goes through its process normally but after reboot it shows it's still on the previous firmware. so I've been flashing via SSH (mtd-write2 command) which seems to work.

no USB is attached during update and tried factory reset before flashing too, which hasn't helped.

is there a reason why my TM-1900 converted to ac68u no longer updates via GUI? since 384.5 flashing via GUI it goes through its process normally but after reboot it shows it's still on the previous firmware. so I've been flashing via SSH (mtd-write2 command) which seems to work.

The biggest reason is probably that it is not supported.

Just wanted to say (because 30% of the messages in this thread are TM-AC1900 related and that device is not even supported):

THE TM-AC1900 IS NOT SUPPORTED!

;)

probably worthwhile updating https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Supported-Devices since it says ac1900 is supported for 382.xx and newer.

most people don't even check forums or wiki when updating their firmwares. first time they go into ac1900 download folder, it points to ac68u, and that's where they go to straight away for their next updates.

• RT-AC1900 (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC1900P (same firmware as RT-AC68U)

RT-AC1900 is supported , a TM1900 (a TMobile router) is NOT supported.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!