What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm having trouble upgrading to this firmware from 384.5.

The firmware uploads fine but refreshes the router config page with no update and no errors given. I tried again after a power cycle with the same result. Also, it seems like all my settings have been reset. I've always been able to dirty flash to the latest stable release so not sure what's going on. Any suggestions I could try? Cheers.

Is it possible to use admin login passwords (web GUI) longer than 17 chars? The web GUI seems to only accept up to 17 chars for passwords. I'm running Merlin 384.7.

I would prefer to use only the 5GHz radio and to be able to turn it on and off with the physical button on the side of the device.

I can disable the 2.4 GHz radio in the firmware, but then when I use the button, it enables both radios.

I did not try this with the stock firmware, so I don't know if it happens there too. Also, I'm not sure if this is something the firmware can address or not. If it is, it might be a nice feature of the Merlin build. I'm running Merlin 384.7.

Is it possible to use admin login passwords (web GUI) longer than 17 chars? The web GUI seems to only accept up to 17 chars for passwords. I'm running Merlin 384.7.

Unfortunately no, weak passwords only. If you're concerned about untrustworthy clients on LAN trying to brute force then consider restricting login to a specific IP address. And as always, never expose to WAN.

Reactions: DTS
And ensure you are using the 68 firmware download rather than the 86 firmware. Some users have confused the two.
I own a 68 and an 86 and it is indeed unfortunate naming by Asus:
Asus RT-AC68U
Asus RT-AC86U
Couldn't they have altered at least something else in the names, lol. o_O

Anyway, I can't complain too much, as both devices are great, especially with Merlin firmware. Also, this forum is great. I feel lucky to have stumbled into this community.

My Asus devices feel like they are built like tanks compared to the cheap feeling of the TP-Link Archer C7. That seems like a fine router too, but these Asus devices feel like they are built to last forever. And I never have any problem with mine. Never need to reboot them, except when I do an update.

No.

Unfortunately no, weak passwords only.

There's nothing weak about a 16 character username combined with a 16 characters password. It would take years to get through the number of variations possible with a combination of 32 different characters.

I did not try this with the stock firmware, so I don't know if it happens there too

Button behaviour is identical to stock firmware.

If it is, it might be a nice feature of the Merlin build.

It used to behave differently from stock, and people complained about it. So I made a design decision of making it match stock firmware behaviour, and I have no intention of re-changing it again.

Unfortunately no, weak passwords only. If you're concerned about untrustworthy clients on LAN trying to brute force then consider restricting login to a specific IP address. And as always, never expose to WAN.
There's nothing weak about a 16 character username combined with a 16 characters password. It would take years to get through the number of variations possible with a combination of 32 different characters.
According to Mellt it even takes longer. T!7REQRmynYeo^nL@WGs for example takes over 2.7 million years (that's an estimate, so give or take a day or two ;)):
Awesome password, congratulations! Mellt estimates >2.7 million years to crack

Just use a strong password generator and make sure you use unique passwords for every login. Services like Bitwarden can be very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
had exactly same with my first 86U but it changed channels after a reboot or turn off/on Wifi or SSH service restart_wireless, second router now immediatly changes channels, have chinese version with changeable Wifi-region setting.
Good Morning, tried everything but wifi-channel keeps pinned to channel 48. If I change country code, it works, but not europe, Asus bug?

Good Morning, tried everything but wifi-channel keeps pinned to channel 48. If I change country code, it works, but not europe, Asus bug?
I also observe a problem on channels 36-48 between the router RT-AC87U and adapter PCE-AC88U. On channels 100-108, it works fine.
Region EU/Russia

According to Mellt it even takes longer. T!7REQRmynYeo^nL@WGs for example takes over 2.7 million years (that's an estimate, so give or take a day or two ;)):

Just use a strong password generator and make sure you use unique passwords for every login. Services like Bitwarden can be very useful.

2jy9kd.jpg

I'll concede being a little bit dramatic exagerating. It only feels weak if you're used to 20 or 30+ character passwords.

I would prefer to use only the 5GHz radio and to be able to turn it on and off with the physical button on the side of the device.

I can disable the 2.4 GHz radio in the firmware, but then when I use the button, it enables both radios.

I did not try this with the stock firmware, so I don't know if it happens there too. Also, I'm not sure if this is something the firmware can address or not. If it is, it might be a nice feature of the Merlin build. I'm running Merlin 384.7.

Perhaps you can make use of the WiFi Scheduler function to turn on/off at specific time.

I too am experiencing the upgrade issue where it uploads the firmware fine, presents NO error message and then goes back to the main page showing the previous firmware version.
-I am currently on version 384.5 on my RT-AC68U
-I tried going directly to version 384.7 with no success. After that I tried going to 384.6 with the same results. No errors, but stays at previous firmware level
- Once the upgrade is tried, it seems to wipe out all settings
- I have nothing plugged in the USB ports and never have
- I have tried an initialization and then upgrading but it is the same behavior
-Never had a problem with these upgrades before this

Any suggestions?

Hello. I have an RT-AC68U and just updated to 384.7. I cannot get the the new DDNS client with HTTPS to work with Namecheap. I have verified via other methods Namecheap's DDNS is updating with my current credentials. I have also rebooted the router since the install. Here's what the log shows (host name and IP redacted):

Oct 12 08:26:36 start_ddns: update WWW.NAMECHEAP.COM namecheap, wan_unit 0
Oct 12 08:26:37 inadyn[2357]: In-a-dyn version 2.5 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Oct 12 08:26:37 inadyn[2357]: Failed resolving hostname test: Name or service not known
Oct 12 08:26:37 inadyn[2357]: Update forced for alias test, new IP# x.x.x.x
Oct 12 08:26:38 inadyn[2357]: Updating cache for test

FYI, I am using DNSCrypt in JFFS (https://github.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer) - DNS lookups are working normally.

Can anyone verify/assist?

Regards, Jake

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!