What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Everyone wants to have these schedule settings in the router interface. ;)
Why? WakeOnLAN is for something that has gone to sleep. Unless you want to access it, you would leave it asleep until that event, like connecting via openvpn. So roll your wake up into a script or into the BIOS setting.

Everyone wants to have these schedule settings in the router interface. ;)

Not everyone - I don't. because it will overload the webui with rarely used features, and this is something I want to avoid with this firmware. The goal is not to cram as many features as possible into it, but to give the users the possibility to tweak it as they personally need through scripting. What you want to do requires two lines of scripting. Adding such a feature to the webui would require hundreds of lines of code, plus waste more of the limited nvram space available.

I'm seeing a UI problem with my 86U. Internet status showing as disconnected, but it is actually connected. Anyone else see this? i did not wipe and start from scratch. Upgraded from .6

No. Mine has been up for 3 days without issue. Shows as connected.

I just received a brand new RT-AC86U today. Before changing any settings, I went into "manual" mode in the web GUI and selected "upload". I am using Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 and my sha256 checksum matches, so my file is not corrupt. However, I get an error in the web GUI: "file format or path is invalid!".

I moved the file into the downloads folder, so there should not be an issue with the path.

filename & checksum:
a1823355dce8139d287379b91a61edef6f5e047c2357e70271250e66f78eae3e RT-AC86U_384.7_0_cferom_ubi.w

Is anyone else seeing this?

I just received a brand new RT-AC86U today. Before changing any settings, I went into "manual" mode in the web GUI and selected "upload". I am using Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 and my sha256 checksum matches, so my file is not corrupt. However, I get an error in the web GUI: "file format or path is invalid!".

I moved the file into the downloads folder, so there should not be an issue with the path.

filename & checksum:
a1823355dce8139d287379b91a61edef6f5e047c2357e70271250e66f78eae3e RT-AC86U_384.7_0_cferom_ubi.w

Here's what I found. Updating to Merlin fw using the method above does not work, but going ahead and doing the initial setup of the stock firmware, logging in and then updating to 384.7 did work.

Here's what I found. Updating to Merlin fw using the method above does not work, but going ahead and doing the initial setup of the stock firmware, logging in and then updating to 384.7 did work.

Were you attempting to upload the Merlin firmware during quick-setup guide? If so then that's where things went wrong because its only meant for uploading a config file to restore settings from a backup. Like you found, you must complete the quicksetup first, then after you've logged in visit the Administration / Firmware page, then upload the firmware there.

filename & checksum:

I saw that yesterday from the main download site, so I downloaded from the mirror and it all went well.

Were you attempting to upload the Merlin firmware during quick-setup guide?
No, I was not using quick-setup. I was attempting to do a full manual setup. However, now that you describe this, maybe it is somehow related to my problem. Thanks for the insight.

Does this firmware support ed25519 keys (in authorized_keys file) for ssh login?

Dropbear only supports RSA, DSA and ECDSA.

Update to the final version from the beta 3. Did a factory reset then turned off WPS (which was on by default for unknown reason). Everything has been good so far. Thank you @RMerlin!

I'm running Merlin 384.7 on ASUS RT-AC86U. I have 3 openvpn client instances configured via the web GUI. However, in /etc/openvpn/ I only see client1/ listed. Where are the other configs saved?

One reason I am asking is that I want to add a few lines like pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6" to the custom configuration. Not seeing an easy way to go back and do that via the GUI, I thought I would ssh in and use nano. Where can I find the 3 openvpn client configurations I set up in the GUI?

BTW, is there an easy way to edit the custom configuration of an already-configured openvpn client via the web GUI?

(I wasn't sure whether to ask this question here or in the VPN forum.)

Last edited:
I'm running Merlin 384.7 on ASUS RT-AC86U. I have 3 openvpn client instances configured via the web GUI. However, in /etc/openvpn/ I only see client1/ listed. Where are the other configs saved?

/etc/ is in RAM. It does not contain saved configs, it contains configs of running instances. All settings are stored in nvram and jffs (for the key/certs), and config files are dynamically generated when a client is started.

BTW, is there an easy way to edit the custom configuration of an already-configured openvpn client via the web GUI?

There are no stored config files. Everything is dynamically generated from nvram when the client is started. The webui is the place where you can configure everything.

Reactions: DTS
I want to add a few lines like pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6" to the custom configuration.
You can add custom directives via the GUI:

upload_2018-10-11_9-43-53.png

BTW, is there an easy way to edit the custom configuration of an already-configured openvpn client via the web GUI
No

To delete/edit existing directives from the OpenVPN config file(s) you can use Wiki postconf-scripts
e.g. suppose you need to remove the 'nobind' directive for VPN Client 1, create script

/jffs/scripts/openvpnclient1.postconf
Code:
!#/bin/sh

CONFIG=$1

pc_delete "nobind" $CONFIG      # Delete the 'nobind' option
and '/etc/openvpn/client1/config.ovpn' will be modified before VPN Client 1 is started.

I'm seeing a UI problem with my 86U. Internet status showing as disconnected, but it is actually connected. Anyone else see this? i did not wipe and start from scratch. Upgraded from .6

exactly same here on my 86U. However i did a upgrade from 384.6 to 384.7 (no full reset) so until i can do a full reset in a few days not sure if that will solve it or not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!