What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi everyone,

I'm not at all confident that I understand what's going on here with the various routers.

I own an Asus AC-3200. Is RMerlin's 384.6 (or stock 3.0.0.4.382.50624) likely the end of the line for firmware updates for this router?

Thanks,
Anton

I wouldn't hold your breath, the last source code for the AC3200 was 2016.

The AC3200 and the 87U vanished from the ASUS UK site and many retailers early in the year, oddly both are back again , however Scan UK no longer supply either model and have them clearly marked as EOL.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asu...s-24-50ghz-80211-a-b-g-n-ac-4x-lan-usb-30-usb

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asu...fi-router-with-usb-30-20-with-aicloud-20-4g-d

I wouldn't hold your breath, the last source code for the AC3200 was 2016.

The latest GPL code for the RT-AC3200 was released on June 29th 2018, only a few months ago.

Is there any chance that the Language selection can be fixed soon?

All my routers are stuck on Japanese with the latest firmware and the drop down list to select language isn't working anymore...

Is there any chance that the Language selection can be fixed soon?

All my routers are stuck on Japanese with the latest firmware and the drop down list to select language isn't working anymore...

That's not a bug, but more likely a known limitation. Depending on were your routers where bought, the available languages have (now) been locked. Search for language using the forum search in the upper right corner and you'll most likely find a workaround.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure what to do there, I'm not that great with Linux, where to I put those scripts?

Maybe I should use Google translate or just stick with the previous version of the firmware.

Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure what to do there, I'm not that great with Linux, where to I put those scripts?

If you can open a SSH command prompt on the router, then if you can copy'n'paste see post #10 then you are almost there.

Ah ha, yep, I managed to tick the right boxes and got Putty talking to the router. (And enabled JFFS custom scripts and configs too)
I think I need to find the "RT-AC86U 'EN.dict' file" mentioned in post #5 for it to work properly though maybe.

Ah ha, yep, I managed to tick the right boxes and got Putty talking to the router. (And enabled JFFS custom scripts and configs too)
I think I need to find the "RT-AC86U 'EN.dict' file" mentioned in post #5 for it to work properly though maybe.

So if you copy'n'paste the following
Code:
mount -o bind   /www/EN.dict   /www/$(nvram get preferred_lang).dict
into the PuTTY SSH command prompt what error does it report?

I get no error at all, just the prompt.
I noticed a few things changed to English in the Left menu bar, but not much else.
(I have an RT-AC88U FWIW)

I get no error at all, just the prompt.
I noticed a few things changed to English in the Left menu bar, but not much else.
(I have an RT-AC88U FWIW)

So if you copy'n'paste the following
Code:
service   restart_httpd
does the GUI have more English entries?

NOTE: You may have to close the browser instance, then reopen it to access the router - hopefully with the GUI Login in English?

OMG. It worked. :D Thanks!

That last command got it! It's all English, well until I reboot the router...

I found that if I enter:
Code:
mount -o bind   /www/EN.dict   /www/$(nvram get preferred_lang).dict

Then:
Code:
service   restart_httpd

Into the SSH terminal, it works until I reboot.
I'll have to do a little more research to figure out how to make it a script to run at boot, I guess it's best to run these commands at the end of the boot up procedure too.

OMG. It worked. :D Thanks!

I'll have to do a little more research to figure out how to make it a script to run at boot, I guess it's best to run these commands at the end of the boot up procedure too.

Simply follow the copy'n'paste instructions I posted in post #10, then enable the script execution in the GUI:

upload_2018-10-17_18-22-54.png

(ac3200) oddly both are back again

my cynical guess is it's the cheapest ac with a second 5ghz radio
with asus marketing the virtues of aimesh, some may buy it
thinking they could use it as a decided backbone channel.

sadly, SNB already proved they would be wasting their time.
hopefully RMerlin won't waste much effort either on aimesh,
and focus on improving stabilizing and broadening merlin itself.
from what i see, aimesh is little more than a marketing gimmick.

Updated my RT-AC88U yesterday from 384.6 to 384.7. So far no issues to report. Thanks Merlin!

Running 384.7 on my RT-AC3100, the 2.4 GHz radio is reporting a temperature of 800896076 °C. The 5 GHz and CPU temperatures are reasonable.
My apologies if this is a thread Hijack but very similar event wtih new RT-AC86u, see thread. Hope your situation is less dire<G>. Perhaps you should respond there, as this is more likely HW vs FW related?

Over a day, temp showed same number as yours, 2.4G panel light went out, the Web GUI lost most of the Wireless pages. Shortly thereafter, could not access the Web GUI at all. Factory reset and flashed back to latest ASUS FW, but 2.4G Radio light was dead. Replaced router, flashed to 384.7 and am doing burn in and test now, but GUI, light and temps correct.

Did you do check sums on the FW, maybe it was corrupted? If your 2.4G radio is lit, then maybe your HW is ok still. Try reflash, factory reset and put in settings manually. I exported the manual host list to a text file to be able to cut and past MAC, IPs and HostNames as well as port forwarding. Saved screens shots of other settings. I plug into the new router with it disconnected from the main network, and antennas detached so it won't interfere with with the current setup. Then look at pages to make sure they match using second client. I had several hours of misery by connecting the router before entering my manual DNS entries where some manually assigned clients grabbed the wrong IPs at router boot. For the swap: Power off your ISP modem before connecting, then modem on-> wait -> router on. Maybe even reboot router again. Might want to reboot any windows clients. and run
Code:
ipconfig /flushdns
too. linux clients can be renewed with ifconfig

Also have RT-AC3100 but still on 384.6, but doubt FW had anything to do with this. You can run the AC3100 at a lower power level using the Professional Tab of the Wireless section ("Good" or lower vs "Performance"). I may keep the AC3100 as primary for this reason, and the AC86u as the spare since I recently learned the AC86u doesn't have Tx Power tuning in my region, pity. We can't be without internet, so a configured spare router is always ready. cheers

Last edited:
The latest GPL code for the RT-AC3200 was released on June 29th 2018, only a few months ago.

That's good to hear, but I see why AndreiV says that. See this from Asus's AC3200 support page. There's nothing regarding GPL code after that.

Attachments

• GPL.png
    GPL.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 433
My apologies if this is a thread Hijack but very similar event wtih new RT-AC86u, see thread. Hope your situation is less dire<G>. Perhaps you should respond there, as this is more likely HW vs FW related?
Probably my RT-AC3100 is faulty. It is only a couple weeks old. The 2.4GHz radio temperature has a bad reading, the LED is not illuminated and there is no traffic on the radio. A few more issues cropped up (the GUI became flakey and it would stop routing any traffic and/or randomly reboot under load). Manually restoring my settings after a factory reset resulted in the GUI no longer responding. I pulled it and put my RT-AC3200 back in service which is why I didn't follow up to my reply. The new router was mostly an experiment on wireless signal strength anyway.

That's good to hear, but I see why AndreiV says that. See this from Asus's AC3200 support page. There's nothing regarding GPL code after that.

The version I mentionned is right on their support page.

upload_2018-10-17_22-30-33.png

Choose “Others” as your OS in the drop down menu to see all source code.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!