What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has used 384.9_0 in Media Bridge mode.

TIA.
I have two AC-86U. One as a router and 1 as a media bridge. The function is rock solid. how ever I have problems now and then trying to access the media bridge after updating to 384.9. Have fixed IP's. Still trying to access the webbrowsers reply that no IP is found. My family prefers a solid internet connection so I just have to accept it.

Based on this description, maybe affected by certain special character in Clients Name in the list.

You can double click on the Clients Name in the Network Map list to change the name. What if you change all to alphanumeric, underscore and hyphen only, without space or special characters?
Thanks "WRobertE" and "ppfoong" - I had set a custom name in the previous firmware version 384.7_2 and reloaded using nvram_restore. This client doesn't appear at all in the new version 384.9. Frankly, networkmap is a "must have" feature for me, so for now I've regressed to 384.7_2 which basically gives reasonably accurate networkmap and everything else I need (won't be going back to stock). If only RMerlin could develop a networkmap clone that actually worked in 384.9 (HINT ! :) )

I will report back later after testing it out; I've decided to reload 384.9 on the AC68P I'm using as a DD-WRT client bridge and will try out WDS. I'm only running on 2.4 GHz on a single 20 MHz channel and won't be connecting any wireless devices on the MB, so may be able to negate the performance hit that typically would occur. I'm curious to see if there is better stability than MB mode with WDS, while also acting as a transparent bridge and allowing the LAN connected AP to function with clients on a single subnet... worst case, I've become really good at loading different firmware and reconfiguring settings ;).
Had to defer testing until tonight; AC86U router with AC68P in AP mode with WDS does function as a transparent bridge, but my goodness is it slow! I'm talking going from ~100Mbps over 2.4 GHz on 20 Mhz single channel to ~20Mbps with WDS with the AP in WDS only mode. I am going to test stability over the next 24 hours "for science" and will then likely go through several firmware variants again before landing back on DD-WRT. If only my network didn't need to be extended SMH.

Had to defer testing until tonight; AC86U router with AC68P in AP mode with WDS does function as a transparent bridge, but my goodness is it slow! I'm talking going from ~100Mbps over 2.4 GHz on 20 Mhz single channel to ~20Mbps with WDS with the AP in WDS only mode. I am going to test stability over the next 24 hours "for science" and will then likely go through several firmware variants again before landing back on DD-WRT. If only my network didn't need to be extended SMH.
WDS science experiment over as it ground to a crawl. Trying Repeater mode to see if it is stable compared to MB, very small sample size of less than 15 minutes is good so far and although it is not appearing to function as a transparent bridge, Diversion does seem to work as I get the dogs on Amazon mobile app, which was not working with DD-WRT.

@RMerlin,

With this new firmware, I see “No active leases.” and he didn’t show a device or IP at the wireless page.

10 days and 10h's and no issues at all using one RT-AC86U. Love it over "stupid" AiMesh setup I had before. 3,600sqft house and all rooms (Upstairs, Main Floor, Basement) get nice high speed even on 5Ghz....for it to work I had to locate cable modem and router in central upper floor office...

Last edited:
Starting from this firmware my Squeezbox Boom will not connect to WiFi any more. What's worse flashing and he previous firmware doesn't solve the Problem. Does anyone have similar problems?

Starting from this firmware my Squeezbox Boom will not connect to WiFi any more. What's worse flashing and he previous firmware doesn't solve the Problem. Does anyone have similar problems?

My SB Boom still connects as usual--but through one of my N66 APs. No issues with any Merlin FW upgrades. Be certain that your 2.4 GHz is switched on and set for Auto or Legacy. IIRC the Boom's wireless is b (maybe g ?)

ETA: Seems that the Boom's wireless speed is indeed g.

Last edited:
You can manually enable Aimesh. Here works Aimesh fine with Merlin :)

That won't work properly. Those undocumented settings were only added for testing purposes.

With this new firmware, I see “No active leases.” and he didn’t show a device or IP at the wireless page.

Sounds like your clients are connected to a different AP/router then. The Wireless Log page gets its basic data directly from the wireless driver.

WDS science experiment over as it ground to a crawl. Trying Repeater mode to see if it is stable compared to MB, very small sample size of less than 15 minutes is good so far and although it is not appearing to function as a transparent bridge, Diversion does seem to work as I get the dogs on Amazon mobile app, which was not working with DD-WRT.
Crossed over the 22 hour mark with no issues using repeater mode. It certainly appears that whatever bugs exist in MB mode do not exist in repeater; now if only it would be possible to use repeater mode and disable the wireless SSID (not hiding as that would still show hidden network), which is effectively a stable MB mode from my perspective.

That won't work properly. Those undocumented settings were only added for testing purposes.

Sounds like your clients are connected to a different AP/router then. The Wireless Log page gets its basic data directly from the wireless driver.

That explains that you can indeed turn it on with a command. Here it has been working well and stable for three months. I hope you leave the option :)

The clients were connected to the main router and were neatly in the DHCP list after a reboot. A few hours later the list was empty and they didn’t come back when you turned on or turned off Wi-Fi (or LAN)

I disconnected the router from the power yesterday and now the list is filled.

sorry, i did not manage to find the name of who posted this, but;
someone suggested removing the usb stick before doing a dirty update
(i don't like reentering all my lan qos's, static ips, and guest ssids)
so i did that and the 8.2 to 9.0 merlin went through without issue
then i plugged the usb stick back in, did a soft reboot and all is well
(besides the known lan dhcp gui reporting issues already discussed)
while stubby, diversion and skynet appear to be working correctly.

UPDATE: after 3 days the 5ghz radio locked up and i had to reboot
so i'm now going to roll back to 384.8_2 because i'd rather my
router be pre-dec'2018 vulnerable than have intermittent wifi issues.
i have not done anything new to my settings beside the 384.9 update
so either it's because i did it dirty or the update itself is making trouble.

Last edited:
My SB Boom still connects as usual--but through one of my N66 APs. No issues with any Merlin FW upgrades. Be certain that your 2.4 GHz is switched on and set for Auto or Legacy. IIRC the Boom's wireless is b (maybe g ?)

ETA: Seems that the Boom's wireless speed is indeed g.

I tried everything except turning of authentication completely. Always the same problem. Same error. Interesting thing is that in the system log I can see constantly every 10 seconds an Assoc message from the Squeezbox Boom mac address.

I tried everything except turning of authentication completely. Always the same problem. Same error. Interesting thing is that in the system log I can see constantly every 10 seconds an Assoc message from the Squeezbox Boom mac address.

Dang! SB networking can be finicky and a real PITA sometimes--at least for me it has.

If you haven't already tried, I think I would first try a soft reset for the Boom by unplugging it for a while. If that does not resolve your problem, I would try a hard reset and set it up again. I don't recall the exact procedure but I know I had to do that for my SB receivers and possibly the Boom in years past.

So far, my router has been up 8 days 22 hours 45 minute(s) 16 seconds. Running smooth like a Mustang!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!