What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not seeing that line....this is what i see when running that command.
Code:
ubi:rootfs_ubifs / ubifs ro,relatime 0 0
devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=220096k,nr_inodes=55024,mode=755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /var tmpfs rw,noexec,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
mtd:bootfs /bootfs jffs2 ro,relatime 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
mtd:data /data jffs2 rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/mtdblock8 /jffs jffs2 rw,noatime 0 0
/dev/sda1 /tmp/mnt/sda1 ext4 rw,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
ubi:rootfs_ubifs /bin/tc ubifs ro,relatime 0 0
/dev/sdb /tmp/mnt/SDA1 tfat rw,nodev,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,umask=0000,allow_utime                                                                                                                     =0022,codepage=437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=winnt,min_prealloc_size=64k,max_prea                                                                                                                     lloc_size=7752872,writeback_boundary=4M,readahead=1M,nocache,fail_safe,hidden=sh                                                                                                                     ow,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/mtdblock8 /www/QoS_Stats.asp jffs2 rw,noatime 0 0
14th line down, just above the first /dev/mtdblock8 line
Code:
dev/sdb /tmp/mnt/SDA1 tfat rw,nodev,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,umask=0000,allow_utime                                                                                                                     =0022,codepage=437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=winnt,min_prealloc_size=64k,max_prea                                                                                                                     lloc_size=7752872,writeback_boundary=4M,readahead=1M,nocache,fail_safe,hidden=sh                                                                                                                     ow,errors=continue 0 0

14th line down, just above the first /dev/mtdblock8 line
Code:
dev/sdb /tmp/mnt/SDA1 tfat rw,nodev,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,umask=0000,allow_utime                                                                                                                     =0022,codepage=437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=winnt,min_prealloc_size=64k,max_prea                                                                                                                     lloc_size=7752872,writeback_boundary=4M,readahead=1M,nocache,fail_safe,hidden=sh                                                                                                                     ow,errors=continue 0 0
Thank I apologize, I searched when I pasted into notepad, and it didn't find it. Apparently my search text was off. Thank you for being a second set of eyes!

Ok? not sure how that helps...error reports issue is with sdb not SDA or sda
sdb is the physical interface. If you add an explicit label when formatting, the label will override the mount point. I am reading from the error reports that SDA1 is mounted on sdb.

sdb is the physical interface. If you add an explicit label when formatting, the label will override the mount point. I am reading from the error reports that SDA1 is mounted on sdb.
Thank you for the explanation. So it seems the thumb drive in question is the one I use to "house" my traffic history. Could it be the tomato_rstats causing the issue?
upload_2019-2-26_9-27-29.png

Thank you for the explanation. So it seems the thumb drive in question is the one I use to "house" my traffic history. Could it be the tomato_rstats causing the issue?
View attachment 16396

It should be a folder that has been skipped by samba, which not appear in the mounted /tmp/mnt/SDA1/

Unmount the thumb drive from the router, remove it and plug it to a Windows computer, if you see additional folder beside Skynet, that is the folder with the naming problem.

Another solid final release. Thank you, Eric.
A web browser issue, not the router.
Maybe try an alternative browser if you’re not having any luck.....
Yeah I've tried resetting things just cant get rid of it and the other weird thing are our samsung galaxy phones are giving a little warning icon next to the wifi which if you go into the wifi settings on the phone says that "internet may not be available". The internet still seems to work so really unsure what is going on.
I rolled back to 384.8_2 and immediately the firmware recognises the internet connection and the warnings on the phones vanish so I don't think something is quite right with this firmware..

View attachment 16121

MY RT-AC86U gets stuck in a loop when i reboot.
just states message "Complete" and thats it , never goes back to GUI,. have to power off at back of router to get to restart.
any ideas would be welcome.

It should be a folder that has been skipped by samba, which not appear in the mounted /tmp/mnt/SDA1/

Unmount the thumb drive from the router, remove it and plug it to a Windows computer, if you see additional folder beside Skynet, that is the folder with the naming problem.

So there is another folder called .minidlna it seems.

upload_2019-2-26_19-2-39.png

Uptime: 21 days 0 hours 27 minute(s) 28 seconds.

Keep on truckin'...

So there is another folder called .minidlna it seems.

View attachment 16398

In this case, I think you can just ignore the warning messages, because .minidlna is used by the Media Server system and you can live without seeing it in file sharing.

Filename and directory name starting with a dot is acceptable in Linux/Unix system, and they are hidden files.

Your thumb drive is formatted with TFAT file system, and from the message given, it seems that a conversion to Windows NT shortname is configured as part of the mounting process. Shortname is filename and directory name with up to 8 characters in front, followed by a dot, then followed by 3 characters extension. It is always in capital case. It will not support filename and directory name starting with a dot (must have at least one character in front of the dot). Also not support name with space in between, name with multiple dots, etc. If you have been using computer during the good old MS-DOS / Windows NT era, you will know about the restrictions of those 8.3 shortnames.

The right solution will be to tweak the samba mounting config, particularly on this part: "codepage=437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=winnt". Not sure whether you can do it in the Web GUI. If need to SSH in to change the config file, better get advice from somebody familiar with AsusWRT to know where is the correct place to make the change.

The right solution will be to tweak the samba mounting config, particularly on this part: "codepage=437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=winnt". Not sure whether you can do it in the Web GUI. If need to SSH in to change the config file, better get advice from somebody familiar with AsusWRT to know where is the correct place to make the change.

I think /jffs/scripts/smb.postconf is what you're after, although it might be better to properly hide the files instead of fixing the display. My postconf file is:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

sed -i "s|veto files = /|&entware/lost+found/\.minidlna/\*\.swp/|" "$1"

I
Turn off the USB application media server. I just went through this today myself.
checked and it was turned off. I wonder if this error has been in the logs for awhile as I played with that option months ago. I use a separate computer with Plex so I have no need for it. Was just playing with it.

Hi,

This is not a technical security question (even though it's a security thingy), which is why I'm posting it here.

When an issues such as this OpenSSL Releases Security Update comes about, is it a big deal to get this into a firmware update quickly, or not? Again, I'm not a techie, so I'm not pretending to understand the issue in any depth, but am just curious I guess.

Thanks,
Anton

Hi,

This is not a technical security question (even though it's a security thingy), which is why I'm posting it here.

When an issues such as this OpenSSL Releases Security Update comes about, is it a big deal to get this into a firmware update quickly, or not? Again, I'm not a techie, so I'm not pretending to understand the issue in any depth, but am just curious I guess.

Thanks,
Anton

It seems like RMerlin is already on top of this. :)

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/changelog-382

Considering that that advisory was only issued yesterday and that the latest previous OpenSSL version is already in the RMerlin releases since Oct 7 of 2018. I feel we're in good hands with Eric. :)

Hi,

Thanks,
Anton

Sorry, didn't post the important link above. :p

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/experimental-bcraffy-openssl-1-1-x-builds.55036/

(Short answer; https://www.snbforums.com/threads/experimental-bcraffy-openssl-1-1-x-builds.55036/#post-466204)

Indeed! Very cool...

Anton

After days of observation, AiProtection logging only worked for that single occasion, and the counter stopped for the rest of the days. The AiProtection related daemon services are still running though.

I wonder what had actually triggered the logging to work, and what else has stopped it (not working as mentioned in Release Notes).

Continue reporting in...

Yesterday I rebooted my router, as it has been running for 2 weeks without much problem (except my Samsung phone and Samsung smart TV respectively have shown signs of WiFi continuous alternating assoc and disassoc at 5GHz band for several minutes, then stable by itself again) - I decided to make a reboot after notice the Samsung TV also having the WiFi alternating assoc and disassoc issue.

And I noticed that AiProtection logging works again after the reboot.

Snipaste_2019-02-28_09-22-57.png

Dirty upgraded my AC86U from 384.8_2 to 384.9.

This is the first time I see both Runner and Flow Cache enabled in HW acceleration. For all previous version I had not been able to make Runner enabled and stay in its state. Now it stays enabled for hours. :):):)

So far no unusual log (finger crossed). When a WiFi device connected, there is Assoc log entry, and when the WiFi device disconnected, there is Disassoc entry. Which is normal and useful. Security wise, can make use of this log to track for WiFi stealing too. ;) I think it only trouble you if your router is in public place and you are providing WiFi for your guests, then it will be too much entries in the log.

WiFi log is showing more information. IPv6 log is cleaner than before.

Thanks Merlin, Asus and all contributors.

Good news! The Runner enabled still there after a reboot.

Snipaste_2019-02-28_09-59-47.png

Hi,

Depends what they fix. A lot of OpenSSL security issues do not affect any of the services running on the router. Sometimes, security issues they find can only be exploited by running specific code that make use of the targeted function/feature, or when using a rarely used protocol or SSL/TLS feature.

I can't update my RT-AC87U from firmware 384.7_2 to 384.9_0 after upload .trx file and install it the router reboot but the firmware doesn't change.
please help me. what can I do?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!