What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@RMerlin so I tried everything to connect my Squeezbox Boom to RT-AC88U. I've reset the router by holding the reset button for 5 seconds to reset the router to factory settings. I then created a new SSID with the new name and tried to reconnect the Squeezbox Boom. Still same error "wireless encryption failure".

Then I tried to connect it to my old RT-AC66U (version 1). It connected in 2 second without any problems. It is running your last firmware.

Did something changed in the latest version which could have created this kind of problem? I have 2 other Squeezbox Radios. They connect without any problems, so is any other device in home.
For what it is worth and all that: My Boom (and Radio/Touch) connects just fine over my RT-AC88U, however I do only use 2.4 for my Squeezeboxes.

Still having problems with self-compilation of 384.9 build since it was released.

make[8]: *** No rule to make target '../../include/openssl/rc4.h', needed by 'eng_openssl.o'. Stop.

One of many errors... using both rsync and make clean.

Make sure you compile from the mainline branch.

Also, that error usually indicates you are missing one of these three packages (I don't remember which one):

Code:
        intltool
        libglib2.0-dev
        gtk-doc-tools

It means OpenSSL is unable to do the required "make depend".

I'm not sure if anybody experienced what I experienced recently:

I remotely viewed my RT-AC68R with HTTPS (with Merlin's 384.9 firmware running for 12 days) and saw that CPU core #2 was at 100% for a while. This wasn't normal, so I decided to reboot the router (GUI reboot button). I waited for the reboot to finish but I couldn't remotely log back into my router after a few minutes. I attributed the failed login due to DDNS not updating to new IP address (v4). Hours later, I still couldn't reboot it. Came home a couple of days later, logged into the router via computer WLAN, GUI shows internet disconnected, CPU utilization normal (few % for both cores). Did GUI reboot again. Still shows internet disconnected. Decided to pull the power and start the router back up. Internet is available again.

I never experienced this type of reboot failure before.
Had the same failure (days running, core 2 100%, soft restart, total unresponsiveness, etc.) requiring a hard reboot to restore operation...
Weirdness!
RT-AC5300

Make sure you compile from the mainline branch.

Also, that error usually indicates you are missing one of these three packages (I don't remember which one):

Code:
        intltool
        libglib2.0-dev
        gtk-doc-tools

It means OpenSSL is unable to do the required "make depend".

Switched from master to mainline. Compiling now. I have the exact build environment you listed in the readme. Added a few necessary files, though. Does your build environment also use xutils-dev which is makedepend file.

Last edited:
Is there any possibility of having a firmware flash to happen at a scheduled time? e.g. After I download the update file and uploaded it to the router.

Is there any possibility of having a firmware flash to happen at a scheduled time? e.g. After I download the update file and uploaded it to the router.

That is exactly when it happens. :D

Yes but I'm thinking of the possibility to schedule the actual update progress to happen at a certain time (like 3am in the morning when nobody will be using) as to not interrupt usage.
Something similar to how Apple does their installs? Like a install now or install later (then choose a time)?

Switched from master to mainline. Compiling now. I have the exact build environment you listed in the readme. Added a few necessary files, though. Does your build environment also use xutils-dev which is makedepend file.

I have it installed, but I don't remember if it was something I deliberately installed - been too long since I've set up this build environment.

No. I don't want to mess with something that can potentially crash the router.

@RMerlin so I tried everything to connect my Squeezbox Boom to RT-AC88U. I've reset the router by holding the reset button for 5 seconds to reset the router to factory settings. I then created a new SSID with the new name and tried to reconnect the Squeezbox Boom. Still same error "wireless encryption failure".

Then I tried to connect it to my old RT-AC66U (version 1). It connected in 2 second without any problems. It is running your last firmware.

Did something changed in the latest version which could have created this kind of problem? I have 2 other Squeezbox Radios. They connect without any problems, so is any other device in home.

I have my 2.4 wireless set to Legacy on my 86u and all Squeezebox Booms connect fine AFAIK.

I am running Merlin 384.9 on an ASUS AC86.

I have a device which is assigned a sticky/static LAN IP outside the automatic pool range. The device in question is connected to the LAN by Ethernet cable and it sometimes has problems renegotiating a lease at the end of 24 hours =86400 seconds so I decided to try and extend the lease time for all devices to 5 days = 432000 seconds using the GUI. It accepts and saves the new value

However the router does not seem to be assigning the longer leases and every device connecting gets the default 1 day lease.

Has anyone else been able to assign DHCP leases of longer than 24 hours on this router using this firmware? The result is the same if the device is assigned its IP from the pool or has a static assignment from the router.

SOLVED: After power cycling the router the extended DHCP leases took effect. Rebooting the router was not sufficient.

Last edited:
Switched from master to mainline. Compiling now. I have the exact build environment you listed in the readme. Added a few necessary files, though.

Code:
        sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get -y install lib32ncurses5-dev dos2unix libtool-bin cmake libproxy-dev uuid-dev liblzo2-dev autoconf automake bash bison bzip2 diffutils file flex m4 g++ gawk groff-base libncurses5-dev libtool libslang2 make patch perl pkg-config shtool subversion tar texinfo zlib1g zlib1g-dev git gettext libexpat1-dev libssl-dev cvs gperf unzip python libxml-parser-perl gcc-multilib gconf-editor libxml2-dev g++-multilib gitk libncurses5 mtd-utils libncurses5-dev libvorbis-dev git autopoint autogen sed build-essential intltool libelf1 libglib2.0-dev xutils-dev lib32z1-dev lib32stdc++6 xsltproc gtk-doc-tools libelf-dev:i386 libelf1:i386 libltdl-dev

This is the full package list I use to compile from a clean Ubuntu install. Should cover whatever your missing.

Anyone else seeing this in their logs or know what this could be?

Code:
Feb 25 16:36:10 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 29190): exfat_nlstouni(): Name (len 12) using character set cp437 contains characters that cannot be converted to Unicode.
Feb 25 16:36:10 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 29190): fat_readdir(): Failed to convert short name from codepage 437 to Unicode (error 84).  Skipping unrepresentable directory entry.

Code:
Feb 25 16:36:10 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 29190): exfat_nlstouni(): Name (len 12) using character set cp437 contains characters that cannot be converted to Unicode.
Feb 25 16:36:10 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 29190): fat_readdir(): Failed to convert short name from codepage 437 to Unicode (error 84).  Skipping unrepresentable directory entry.

SDB should be an external storage device attached to the USB port of the router. First device is SDA, second device is SDB.

This message seems related to a folder (a.k.a. directory) name in the SDB storage device that contains character that cannot be converted to Unicode. Due to this, that folder is probably hidden from the storage sharing now.

You can probably plug the USB storage to a computer that can access the folder, and rename that folder to something else. Let's see if this can fix the problem.

SDB should be an external storage device attached to the USB port of the router. First device is SDA, second device is SDB.

This message seems related to a folder (a.k.a. directory) name in the SDB storage device that contains character that cannot be converted to Unicode. Due to this, that folder is probably hidden from the storage sharing now.

You can probably plug the USB storage to a computer that can access the folder, and rename that folder to something else. Let's see if this can fix the problem.

Both are showing as SDA1. One thumbdrive is for the traffic history while the other is for mods such as skynet

upload_2019-2-25_21-31-49.png

rt-ac88u under heavy file transfer (35gig file) between machines on wired ports the router becomes unresponsive on webui, does not respond to ping, and internet is not accessible. Layer 2 however continues to work. As soon as the large file transfer is complete the router becomes responsive and internet access resumes.

Will have to go to earlier code base for now

Code:

Can you find /dev/sdb in /tmp/etc/mtab?

ssh into the router, and type "cat /tmp/etc/mtab", look for the line with "/dev/sdb".

Can you find /dev/sdb in /tmp/etc/mtab?

ssh into the router, and type "cat /tmp/etc/mtab", look for the line with "/dev/sdb".
Not seeing that line....this is what i see when running that command.
Code:
ubi:rootfs_ubifs / ubifs ro,relatime 0 0
devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=220096k,nr_inodes=55024,mode=755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /var tmpfs rw,noexec,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
mtd:bootfs /bootfs jffs2 ro,relatime 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
mtd:data /data jffs2 rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/mtdblock8 /jffs jffs2 rw,noatime 0 0
/dev/sda1 /tmp/mnt/sda1 ext4 rw,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
ubi:rootfs_ubifs /bin/tc ubifs ro,relatime 0 0
/dev/sdb /tmp/mnt/SDA1 tfat rw,nodev,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,umask=0000,allow_utime                                                                                                                     =0022,codepage=437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=winnt,min_prealloc_size=64k,max_prea                                                                                                                     lloc_size=7752872,writeback_boundary=4M,readahead=1M,nocache,fail_safe,hidden=sh                                                                                                                     ow,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/mtdblock8 /www/QoS_Stats.asp jffs2 rw,noatime 0 0

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!