What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 is now available for all supported models. The focus of this release was merging newer GPLs, and implementing the new connection tracking report.

The highlights:
  • Merged with GPL 384_5329 (RT-AX88U) and GPL 384_45149 (other models). Binary blobs for the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200 were provided by Asus to allow supporting these two models in this release.
  • Display a list of connections tracked by the Trend Micro DPI engine, along with the classification info. The table can be sorted by clicking on the field headers. The list was added to the "QoS Stats" page, which has been renamed "Classification".
  • Enhancements to the Wireless Log page (report number of spatial streams as well as the PHY type used by clients). Which info is available will vary between router models.
  • Updated built-in components: wget (1.20), nano (3.2), curl (7.62.0), Chart.js (2.7.3), dnsmasq (2.80-32-g28cfe36).
  • Enhancements to DNSFilter: now properly blocks clients using DoT or IPv6 to bypass it.
  • Various fixes and improvements to OpenVPN (resetting a client to default no longer wipes out policy rules or description, fixed DNS strict mode that wasn't working)
  • A number of other fixes and tweaks can be found in the detailed changelog

Please review the changelog for more details.

There is a number of known issues in this release that cannot be fixed at this time:

• dcd process crashing on RT-AC86U (bug in Trend Micro's code, outside of my control).
  • IPv6s on Tracked Connections have their last two bytes set to 00 (bug in Trend Micro's code truncating the last two bytes).
  • No IPS events logged (bug in Asus's code, IPS should work, just fails to log hits)
  • Networkmap listing may be unreliable. (Bug in Asus's code)
  • Users failing to read changelogs will probably complain about the above issues. (Outside of my control).

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Good release with RC5300 thank you.

Only minor issue, and alert upgrade firmware icon is active.
Capture d'écran.jpg

System log flooded with these after dirty upgrade on AC3100

Code:
Feb  2 16:16:44 dnsmasq[6205]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted

System log flooded with these after dirty upgrade on AC3100

Code:
Feb  2 16:16:44 dnsmasq[6205]: failed to send packet: Operation not permitted
I have a AC3100 and don't show that in my logs.

All of my text in text boxes(text editable boxes like Network Name, router name, etc) has turned white on my AC87U. You can only see the text if you highlight it.

Is it instability?
No each one of those mac addresses is either associating with your network or disassociating with it. You see these entries a lot if you have a device that sleeps and wakes a lot.

All of my text in text boxes(text editable boxes like Network Name, router name, etc) has turned white on my AC87U. You can only see the text if you highlight it.
Try shift f5.

A web browser issue, not the router.
Maybe try an alternative browser if you’re not having any luck.....

You could also try clearing browser cache.

hi, my RT-AC87U are running very slow on the 5g network, but its ok on the 2,4 g.
I have done the factorie resetting.
do you want any logs?

Hi,

I just upgraded to this version on a ac86u and now it says the internet is disconnected all the time. I have tried rebooting but it still says it is.
However the internet is connected and working fine... this wasn't an issue on the previous stable release.

all the information like WAN IP/ DNS IP's are listed there and everything seems to work fine, just it seems to think its not connected.

upload_2019-2-3_12-17-14.png

Last edited:
Hi,

I just upgraded to this version on a ac86u and now it says the internet is disconnected all the time. I have tried rebooting but it still says it is.
However the internet is connected and working fine... this wasn't an issue on the previous stable release.

all the information like WAP IP is listed there and everything seems to work fine, just it seems to think its not connected.

View attachment 16119
mine would do the same thing. i'd resolve it by rebooting modem then router.

mine would do the same thing. i'd resolve it by rebooting modem then router.

Yeah I've tried resetting things just cant get rid of it and the other weird thing are our samsung galaxy phones are giving a little warning icon next to the wifi which if you go into the wifi settings on the phone says that "internet may not be available". The internet still seems to work so really unsure what is going on.
I rolled back to 384.8_2 and immediately the firmware recognises the internet connection and the warnings on the phones vanish so I don't think something is quite right with this firmware..

upload_2019-2-3_12-40-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-3_12-33-43.png
    upload_2019-2-3_12-33-43.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Updated and seeing this in the logs...Anything to worry about?

Code:
Feb  2 18:26:17 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 6673): exfat_nlstouni(): Name (len 12) using character set cp437 contains characters that cannot be converted to Unicode.
Feb  2 18:26:17 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 6673): fat_readdir(): Failed to convert short name from codepage 437 to Unicode (error 84).  Skipping unrepresentable directory entry.
Feb  2 18:26:17 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 6673): exfat_nlstouni(): Name (len 12) using character set cp437 contains characters that cannot be converted to Unicode.
Feb  2 18:26:17 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 6673): fat_readdir(): Failed to convert short name from codepage 437 to Unicode (error 84).  Skipping unrepresentable directory entry.
Feb  2 18:26:18 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 6673): exfat_nlstouni(): Name (len 12) using character set cp437 contains characters that cannot be converted to Unicode.
Feb  2 18:26:18 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 6673): fat_readdir(): Failed to convert short name from codepage 437 to Unicode (error 84).  Skipping unrepresentable directory entry.
Feb  2 18:26:18 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 6673): exfat_nlstouni(): Name (len 12) using character set cp437 contains characters that cannot be converted to Unicode.
Feb  2 18:26:18 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 6673): fat_readdir(): Failed to convert short name from codepage 437 to Unicode (error 84).  Skipping unrepresentable directory entry.
Feb  2 18:26:18 kernel: tfat warning (device sdb, pid 6673): fat_readdir(): Failed to convert short name from codepage 437 to Unicode (error 84).  Skipping unrepresentable directory entry

Yeah I've tried resetting things just cant get rid of it and the other weird thing are our samsung galaxy phones are giving a little warning icon next to the wifi which if you go into the wifi settings on the phone says that "internet may not be available". The internet still seems to work so really unsure what is going on.
I rolled back to 384.8_2 and immediately the firmware recognises the internet connection and the warnings on the phones vanish so I don't think something is quite right with this firmware..

View attachment 16121
Odd, I have read some where some turn that off under administration-->Basic Config-->Network Monitoring.

Hi,

all the information like WAN IP/ DNS IP's are listed there and everything seems to work fine, just it seems to think its not connected.

View attachment 16119
What happens if you change Administration --> System --> Network Monitoring from DNS Query to Ping and set Ping Target to 1.1.1.1?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!