What's new

AdGuardHome [RELEASE] Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer (AMAGHI)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would like to take the time to mention any one who wants to contribute to those who contribute or developed for us, here is the link for all devs that take donations,

And for anyone who wants to donate to RMerlin, there is a link on his contact page,

Thanks for the donate link. LonelyCoder was my first addon that I have use and amtm made all installation painlessly.

Anyone use unbound with AdGuard home? Can it be used a recursive resolver or just a forwarder and any notice in dns look ups performance?

Anyone use unbound with AdGuard home? Can it be used a recursive resolver or just a forwarder and any notice in dns look ups performance?
Yes it can be used in combination, however keep in mind it adds one more dns server eating up router resources, i.e. there is no real reason to do such unless you plan to run unbound strictly recursively. Adguardhome has doh dot doq and dnscrypt capabilities built in, there would be no reason to use unbound unless you wanted to strictly use it recursively.

Can do…. But no real value…
Some people may want their responses coming from a recursive resolver instead of relying on the cached replies coming from major box dns servers. In this case, it wouldn't be bad to try it out. But I would keep the memory option usage low for unbound in this instance and don't try to leverage any blocking capabilities of unbound either.

Having issue where adguardhome doesn't start up during boot. I manually start it. Also having issue where it stops responding and restarting it manually is all that fixes it.
the same situation. ac68 u. only entware and agh. last fw and agh. different swap file size. but with disabled vpn it autostars normally.

the same situation. ac68 u. only entware and agh. last fw and agh. different swap file size. but with disabled vpn it autostars normally.

Try to recreate the situation where your AGH does not start. There might be something specific to your setup that may be cause for concern. Or something we need to take a look at, but we need to know specifics. Logs is one of the biggest helpful tools you have at your disposal. I recommend rebooting your router and collecting as much of the boot process logs as possible (first 10 minutes after boot should work). This would indicate what process's are running and where there may be conflicts. For instance, with your VPN you may need to change your VPN servers DNS configuration.
1654124042986.png

Last edited:
Reactions: FIN
Hi Guys,

i assume i wont be able to use AMTM on zenwifi XT12 pro since it doesnt have any USB port?

Regards

Hi Guys,

i assume i wont be able to use AMTM on zenwifi XT12 pro since it doesnt have any USB port?

Regards

You can still use AMTM, as it is really just an up front manager for many of the common packages, but without a USB port, then you have no where to install some of the bigger packages and Entware. I am not even certain that you will be able to install some of the scripts that are stored on the JFFS partition (such as SpdMerlin) as most scripts depend on other packages that depend on Entware.

So, short answer is yeah, you are pretty much sunk.

You can still use AMTM, as it is really just an up front manager for many of the common packages, but without a USB port, then you have no where to install some of the bigger packages and Entware. I am not even certain that you will be able to install some of the scripts that are stored on the JFFS partition (such as SpdMerlin) as most scripts depend on other packages that depend on Entware.

ok, that's suck.

Yea and Adguardhome definitely requires a usb storage. Adguardhome would fill up jffs before you had time to realize it was full.

Sorry if it has been asked before.
Just updated Adguard the other night and I was wondering what is the best choice when you are being asked if Adguard should deal with internal DNS requests( sorry I can't remember now the exactly text). I set it to "Yes" but just wondering .
Thank you.

Sorry if it has been asked before.
Just updated Adguard the other night and I was wondering what is the best choice when you are being asked if Adguard should deal with internal DNS requests( sorry I can't remember now the exactly text). I set it to "Yes" but just wondering .
Thank you.
I did mine as yes to push all DNS queries to it, and only for non-custom. Also did work as a local cache

I'm wanting to give Adguard Home a go on my RT-AX86U, but currently running "The Opposition".

I'm assuming I would need to do a full uninstall of both Diversion and PixelServ so I can test AdGuard Home, or is there some way I could just temporarily disable them enough to do the testing? Having never had to use my Diversion backups to restore an install I'm not sure how easy it is, and I want to reduce downtime so the rest of the household doesn't yell at me (again).

All suggestions gratefully received!

I'm wanting to give Adguard Home a go on my RT-AX86U, but currently running "The Opposition".

I'm assuming I would need to do a full uninstall of both Diversion and PixelServ so I can test AdGuard Home, or is there some way I could just temporarily disable them enough to do the testing? Having never had to use my Diversion backups to restore an install I'm not sure how easy it is, and I want to reduce downtime so the rest of the household doesn't yell at me (again).

I would simply use diversion backup and make local backup of your diversion, then uninstall. That way if you do switch back to Diversion, you have a backup ready to go to restore from. But truth be told, I would uninstall if you are wanting to test adguardhome. While there are no known conflicts of leaving diversion installed, the block file entries placed inside dnsmasq by diversion can potentially take up a substantial amount of memory already. It would be advised if you want to fully enjoy adguardhome to either switch to the smallest diversion block list or uninstall diversion altogether for the purpose of memory availability for adguard home.

I would simply use diversion backup and make local backup of your diversion, then uninstall.
Will probably do that then - just need to find a large enough block of time to roll back / re-install and test if necessary.
Sounds simple, but surprisingly difficult with WFH during the day and multiple entertainment requirements at night!
First World Problems I guess :D

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

I remember when I first test AGH on AC86U I have diversion installed. AGH will take over port 53 for DNS request and overwrite dnsmasq with port 553. As a result, diversion is bypassed. As @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow mentioned, diversion block list will still consume some memory. I have 2GB of swap file so it was ok. Other than that it should be fine to keep diversion while you test out AGH. Once you uninstall AGH, DNS request will go back to dnsmasq again. Anyway, both diversion and AGH can be easily backup and restore.

I remember when I first test AGH on AC86U I have diversion installed. AGH will take over port 53 for DNS request and overwrite dnsmasq with port 553. As a result, diversion is bypassed. As @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow mentioned, diversion block list will still consume some memory. I have 2GB of swap file so it was ok. Other than that it should be fine to keep diversion while you test out AGH. Once you uninstall AGH, DNS request will go back to dnsmasq again. Anyway, both diversion and AGH can be easily backup and restore.

Thanks for that info, much appreciated!