What's new

AdGuardHome [RELEASE] Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer (AMAGHI)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just updated to v1.0.1 and things work now with no entry in the DHCP - DNS option, just the radio button set to yes, everything works.

Thanks! :)
Some key things I noticed. To see clients fill your main AdguardHome page, try increasing the number of filters used. The more filters used, the more statistics you will see on the main page. Also, if you don't see clients updating right away, try hitting refesh statistics in the corner of the page.

installer adds Bootstrap DNS servers in wrong format. "Error: control/dns_config | [1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1] can not be used as bootstrap dns cause: invalid bootstrap server address: Resolver [1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1] is not eligible to be a bootstrap DNS server | 400"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-065017.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-065017.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 149
installer adds Bootstrap DNS servers in wrong format. "Error: control/dns_config | [1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1] can not be used as bootstrap dns cause: invalid bootstrap server address: Resolver [1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1] is not eligible to be a bootstrap DNS server | 400"
It looks like it may be happening when I am running the --check-config feature.

I took out the boostrap dns configuration. After exhaustively trying different methods to get it to work. The only way to "officially" get it to work is if users set it up via the WebUI. There is some kind of parsing error being done by AdGuardHome. I am about to open an issue for it. It is only necessary to use if you are using "some" of the encrypted services -i.e. DoH when it makes the first query out to start encryption.

So it isn't the installer, it is the check-config parser of AdGuardHome. I think that must have been an old format they used. They just haven't figured out there is a bug. So I have made it to where the installer wont insert the bootstrap DNS. The issue goes away if you configure it in the webui.

the installer puts it in
- DNSSERVER
- DNSSERVER

format, but for some reason check-config wants to come back with it as [DNSSERVER DNSSERVER]

I'm disabling Asus router DHCP and enabling Adguard Home DHCP server. Is it okay?

I'm disabling Asus router DHCP and enabling Adguard Home DHCP server. Is it okay?
Never tried it. But I have heard negative feed back from those who have done that on openwrt. Let us know how it turns out. Keep in mind this could negatively impact any VLANS or guestnetworks you have setup.

Never tried it. But I have heard negative feed back from those who have done that on openwrt. Let us know how it turns out. Keep in mind this could negatively impact any VLANS or guestnetworks you have setup.
Oh I see.. luckily, I don't use Guest Network at this moment.

Before this, I enabled ipv6 too but the last prefix keep changing if reconnect. Now I disable that ipv6 to test this adguard.

This work has been a very useful and facilitating work for novice users. I thank you @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow, @thelonelycoder and @gspannu.

If I'm not mistaken, the methods in the original turtoial thread do not include adding the following entries to the "etc/dnsmasq.conf" file.

Code:
port=553
local=/192.in-addr.arpa/
local=/10.in-addr.arpa/

I will try to use Adguard by this new method in the days ahead. Thanks again.

This work has been a very useful and facilitating work for novice users. I thank you @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow, @thelonelycoder and @gspannu.

If I'm not mistaken, the methods in the original turtoial thread do not include adding the following entries to the "etc/dnsmasq.conf" file.

Code:
port=553
local=/192.in-addr.arpa/
local=/10.in-addr.arpa/

I will try to use Adguard by this new method in the days ahead. Thanks again.
Be sure to follow the second post to see any updates from other users findings. I will try to keep it up to date with new discoveries that may need attention.

I have an issue after install it says

*** Error: Couldn't start AdGuardHome
*** Error: Please send WebUI System Log to dev

Log is:

couldn't start forwarding DNS server: listening to udp socket: listen udp 0.0.0.0:53: bind: address already in use

I haven't tested this install method yet.

But with the previous one, after a while AdGuard was unresponsive. Which resulted in internet not working. I couldn't load the web interface. Had to restart AGH or reboot router.
Very annoying.

Asus RT-AC87u
384.13_10

I have an issue after install it says

*** Error: Couldn't start AdGuardHome
*** Error: Please send WebUI System Log to dev

Log is:

couldn't start forwarding DNS server: listening to udp socket: listen udp 0.0.0.0:53: bind: address already in use
Try the installer again, if it gives you the same error at the end, then tell me what the output of
netstat -nlp | grep '53'
Is.

I haven't tested this install method yet.

But with the previous one, after a while AdGuard was unresponsive. Which resulted in internet not working. I couldn't load the web interface. Had to restart AGH or reboot router.
Very annoying.

Asus RT-AC87u
384.13_10
Well you are also trying this on an unsupported router with an outdated firmware, possibilities could be limitless. I am curious what the outcome would be if you tried the installer.

Try the installer again, if it gives you the same error at the end, then tell me what the output of
netstat -nlp | grep '53'
Is.
Thank you, yes, DNS crypt was using that port, uninstalling DNS crypt helped and adguard installed and started.
But, my wifi devices stop seeing internet, connected but no link, presumable DNS issue, after checking all stuff and few reboots nothing help. Returned back to Pi-hole setup on Pi4.