What's new

AdGuardHome [RELEASE] Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer (AMAGHI)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow
What are the settings you use for cache memory, query logs, etc?
querylog_size_memory:
cache_size:

(I presume that these would impact the memory footprint of AGH)

I have noticed that my memory usage jumps by almost 100MB a day.
Starting at about 650MB from a clean install (AGH, no other add-on, no other scripts) and then keeps increasing by about 100MB a day.

I am pretty sure it is AGH using the memory as when I restart AGH (service restart_AGH), the memory drops back to around 650MB.
Without AGH, the router keeps the used memory at a constant 550 MB with no increase at all even over many weeks - very stable.

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow
querylog_size_memory:
cache_size:

Starting at about 650MB from a clean install (AGH, no other add-on, no other scripts) and then keeps increasing by about 100MB a day.

I am pretty sure it is AGH using the memory as when I restart AGH (service restart_AGH), the memory drops back to around 650MB.
Without AGH, the router keeps the used memory at a constant 550 MB with no increase at all even over many weeks - very stable.
My cache is set to 0 but I use unbound for cache. If you are concerned, you can always lower the size of your cache. It shouldn't impact the overall functionality, but you may take a performance hit in regards to query response time. I would start by cutting the cache size in half. (Divide the number by 2). See what happens, and report back your outcome so other users may benefit if they do.

Last edited:
@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow
querylog_size_memory:
cache_size:

Also when you say memory usage, which memory usage are you specifically talking about? When ever you restart adguardhome both the cache and the query logs are cleared, but the query logs are stored on the USB storage which should be the only memory being impacted by the logs. If you happen to be talking about it using more memory on your USB storage, I recommend using a relatively bigger storage. Mine for example is 500gb SSHD.

As far as ram usage goes, I have not noticed really any reduction from usage. I imagine the cache size is negligible in regard to router memory foot print.

When you bring up topics like memory, you should try and be a little more specific to help me better understand because I have not noticed any issues with router memory consumption.

I have know the logs size growth to be an issue in regards to the memory storage space available at the location adguardhome is stored at. One of the reasons why I chose not to allow the installer to install AdGuardHome on JFFS partition.

Last edited:
@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow
querylog_size_memory:
cache_size:

Your issue has led me to investigate AdGuardHome a bit more on how the process is handled. It appears the way AdGuardHome is being killed is the leading culprit to the logs not properly flushing. So I pushed a version update to the installer to accommodate this.

Here is the applicable changelog for v1.4.2:

Last edited:
Any simple manner to forward AdGuardHome queries to local DNScrypt client? I see AdGuardHome can act as a dnscrypt server, but can it act as a client? If it does, and includes all the bells and whistles such as anonymous relays, its own blocklists and the like; I'd use that otherwise I'd like to forward queries to Dnscrypt Proxy

Last edited:
My cache is set to 0 but I use unbound for cache. If you are concerned, you can always lower the size of your cache. It shouldn't impact the overall functionality, but you may take a performance hit in regards to query response time. I would start by cutting the cache size in half. (Divide the number by 2). See what happens, and report back your outcome so other users may benefit if they do.
I am going to rebuild the router in a couple of days ( as I have just got a new AX56U to act as a Mesh to my existing main router AX88U).

Will do a clean install with the latest installer script an report back in a few days.

By memory, I meant the available free router memory decreasing each day... (not the USB storage)

I don't think the AGH cache memory is the culprit, as it is only 4MB in size - so reducing that shouldn't make much of a difference.

Any simple manner to forward AdGuardHome queries to local DNScrypt client? I see AdGuardHome can act as a dnscrypt server, but can it act as a client? If it does, and includes all the bells and whistles such as anonymous relays, its own blocklists and the like; I'd use that otherwise I'd like to forward queries to Dnscrypt Proxy
If you are talking about manually installing dnscrypt proxy and configuring all the necessary parts yourself, then I don't see why it wouldn't.
However, it won't be able to do such with the one installed by amtm unless you plan to modify listening addresses of adguardhome and the likes. The one installed by amtm uses a listening port on port 53, and adguardhome also uses port 53.

As far as I know adguardhome is able to forward dnscrypt upstream, but it doesn't utilize anonymization like dnscrypt-proxy. And to set adguardhome up as a dnscrypt remote server might require a form of dnscrypt wrapper, I am honestly not sure about this aspect though.

Keep in mind, I am not sure what the strain on your router will look like trying to run two separate go binary dns servers with each of their own configurations loaded to the routers memory. (Technically 3 dns servers if you count dnsmasq which is not from a go binary though).

If you are talking about manually installing dnscrypt proxy and configuring all the necessary parts yourself, then I don't see why it wouldn't.
However, it won't be able to do such with the one installed by amtm unless you plan to modify listening addresses of adguardhome and the likes. The one installed by amtm uses a listening port on port 53, and adguardhome also uses port 53.
So I cannot simply use AMTM dnscrypt installer, and modify the listening address/port of Dnscrypt proxy, and point AdGuardHome to that as upstream? I'd love to test it and find out; I read that AMAGHI uses less memory than diversion.

Have you considered making the Adguardhome installer compatible with amtm's dnscrypt?

Last edited:
So I cannot simply use AMTM dnscrypt installer, and modify the listening address/port of Dnscrypt proxy, and point AdGuardHome to that as upstream? I'd love to test it and find out; I read that AMAGHI uses less memory than diversion.

Have you considered making the Adguardhome installer compatible with amtm's dnscrypt?
No because adguardhome supports all the traditional dnsprivacy protocols in its own right. There is no need to put extra strain on router resources to do such, however I have done nothing to try to hinder users from doing such by their own means.

Last edited:
is there a way to integrate home with dns beta.
dns beta has time scheduling feature which is very useful

is there a way to integrate home with dns beta.
dns beta has time scheduling feature which is very useful
No clue. Do you have any postings or links to relavant sites or information ABOUT DNS BETA? Particularly adguardhome installer is a specific script for installing adguardhome. I think you will get better results starting a new thread using the Adguardhome prefix.

Last edited:
No clue. Do you have any postings or links to relavant sites or information ABOUT DNS BETA? Particularly adguardhome installer is a specific script for installing adguardhome. I think you will get better results starting a new thread using the Adguardhome prefix.
Hi, sorry for jumping into this this.

Time schedule is available on
Adguard dns beta under parental control settings

Hi, sorry for jumping into this this.

Time schedule is available on
Adguard dns beta under parental control settings
Yea you will definitely get best results in a new thread posting. When users come to this thread there is a expectation that it related to this adguardhome installer or somewhat relates to the use of adguardhome as an Asuswrt merlin addon. Adguard DNS beta is definitely not the same thing.