What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
didn't mean to stump everyone on such a tough question.. let me simplify... will this work from a prompt in SSH while adaptive qos and freshJR script are running?

${tc} filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 6 u32 match mark 0x8004000A 0xc03fffff flowid ${Downloads}
Doubtful the variables will be available in the ssh environment (tc, Downloads)

Doubtful the variables will be available in the ssh environment (tc, Downloads)
ya that's kinda what I was thinking as well but thought id ask... is there a way I could modify that line so it might function from ssh? even close to what it should? its simply for testing purposes.. niece has a bunch of chats with audio/video that's falling into others.. theres several ports and rather that redoing script and uploading 15x it be nice to just drop a one liner in ssh for each port until its in the correct container and then I could mod the script properly.

ya that's kinda what I was thinking as well but thought id ask... is there a way I could modify that line so it might function from ssh? even close to what it should? its simply for testing purposes.. niece has a bunch of chats with audio/video that's falling into others.. theres several ports and rather that redoing script and uploading 15x it be nice to just drop a one liner in ssh for each port until its in the correct container and then I could mod the script properly.

On RMerlin

-replace ${tc} with fakeTC
-replace ${Downloads} with 1:10 - 1:17

1:10 - Net Control
1:11 - 1rst User Defined category
1:12 - 2nd User Defined category
1:13 - 3rd User Defined category
1:14 - 4th User Defined category
1:15 - 5th User Defined category
1:16 - 6th User Defined category
1:17 - Undefined

Port rules are now implemented via iptables tho.

App Analysis + "-appdb" should get you to the current identified mark quick

eth0 will match 0x4 marks
br0 will match 0x8 marks

Last edited:
On RMerlin

br0 will match 0x8 marks

omg perfect ty. im still using an older script with the appdb but this should work ty :)

On RMerlin

br0 will match 0x8 marks

hmm still missing something.. use set or something at the beginning like this?

Code:
fakeTC filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match ip dport 19305 0xffff flowid 1:12

faketc in lower case letters

ty fresh.. that did the trick... and had to remove the "$" from the priority as well.. working well..

I expect I can just turn qos off and on to reset back to normal as per the script or persistant n reboot required? im ok reboot if need be jus curious on yur thoughts. ths greatly simplifies testing port traffic for me

An issue I encounter with IPTV and Torrent (Download). Basically when I have the download category occupied with torrent, IPTV service starts to buffer continuously. Only happens with IPTV other categories work fine. Any idea?

Stick torrents into defaults

I moved torrents to defaults and noticed that reflected on QoS chart while the torrent is active, but the issue still persists. Even when I limit the bandwidth to minimum speed on the client IPTV Full HD streams start buffering.

I tried to adjust the percentage on FreshQoS file to something like 5% for default and 10% for File transferring but that didn't work too.

I moved torrents to defaults and noticed that reflected on QoS chart while the torrent is active, but the issue still persists. Even when I limit the bandwidth to minimum speed on the client IPTV Full HD streams start buffering.

I tried to adjust the percentage on FreshQoS file to something like 5% for default and 10% for File transferring but that didn't work too.

Try changing the ciel of only the "defaults" category to something low like 10mbit to see what happens to the rest of the traffic.

Eg.

Code:
        ${tc} class change dev br0 parent 1:1 classid 1:17 htb ${PARMS}prio 6 rate ${DownRate7}Kbit ceil ${DownCeil}Kbit burst ${DownBurst7} cburst ${DownCburst7}

-->

${tc} class change dev br0 parent 1:1 classid 1:17 htb ${PARMS}prio 6 rate ${DownRate7}Kbit ceil 10Mbit burst ${DownBurst7} cburst ${DownCburst7}

Curious about this: I have a Win7 box with media center setup, and an xbox360 as an extender. When this script is active, the connection is broken and can't be reset. Event viewer reports Upnp errors. If I disable Qos, comment out the script and reboot the router, the connection can be reset and it works again.

This is an 87U with 7.2, all wired connections, all IP addresses reserved.

Not a big deal, but I'm curious what is going on.

Last edited:
Curious about this: I have Win7 box with media center setup, and an xbox360 as an extender. When this script is active, the connection is broken and can't be reset. Event viewer reports Upnp errors. If I disable Qos, comment out the script and reboot the route, the connection can be reset and it works again.

This is an 87U with 7.2, all wired connections.

Not a big deal, but I'm curious what is going on.
Could be to do with the script and the firewall.

Which version are you running of the script?

V7, not customized.

I have a quick question if you wouldn't mind answering, I have been looking to buy a router that can offer QOS for my 70Mbit connection to enable people to stream videos and game whilst other people are downloading files or games consoles are downloading files. I have also been looking at SQM type routers, Netgear X4S and Edgerouter. Using this script on Merlin with a AC86U would that be a good fit or are all these SQM and Adaptive QOS systems more for Bufferbloat alone rather than what I am looking for?

I have a quick question if you wouldn't mind answering, I have been looking to buy a router that can offer QOS for my 70Mbit connection to enable people to stream videos and game whilst other people are downloading files or games consoles are downloading files. I have also been looking at SQM type routers, Netgear X4S and Edgerouter. Using this script on Merlin with a AC86U would that be a good fit or are all these SQM and Adaptive QOS systems more for Bufferbloat alone rather than what I am looking for?

1) Yes AdaptiveQOS will handle 70mbps
2) SQM = smart queue management which basically translates to "Has QOS"
3) Cant speak for the QOS performance of other routers as I am not sure of how their QOS structure is setup
4) AdaptiveQOS = QOS = SQM
more specifically you have the choice of sfq, codel, fq-codel as your queue management disciplines (no cake).

Can you make the question more clear? I am not sure what I am supposed to be answering.

Yes AdaptiveQOS does work well for gaming & streaming after using this script (the performance is not so great without these modifications due to the issues explained in first post).

1) Yes AdaptiveQOS will handle 70mbps
2) SQM = smart queue management which basically translates to "Has QOS"
3) Cant speak for the QOS performance of other routers as I am not sure of how their QOS structure is setup
4) AdaptiveQOS = QOS = SQM
more specifically you have the choice of sfq, codel, fq-codel as your queue management disciplines (no cake).

Can you make the question more clear? I am not sure what I am supposed to be answering.

Yes AdaptiveQOS does work well for gaming & streaming after using this script (the performance is not so great without these modifications due to the issues explained in first post).

Thank you for the reply,

At the moment I have 70Mbps, at anyone time on the network the following could be happening,

1 x Plex Stream
1 x Twitch Stream
1 x BBC IPlayer stream
1 x Xbox one or some form of console starts downloading
1 x PC downloading from Newsgroups

Most of the time the internet is a mess and everyone is constantly complaining due to buffering in videos and high pings when gaming.

How’s does this system classify HTTPS download traffic?

If someone starts a download when people are watching streams/gaming how would we fair with the ASUS AC86U with Merlin and your QOS tweaks? Would the download traffic be throttled if it was HTTPS?

At some point the download would get starved and then buffering would occur again but I’m guessing it should happen less often unless everyone is hammering the connection?

how can I update the script to the latest one?
I am using Rmerlin fw currently running the old version of script(not sure how old)

Uninstall the script and try adaptiveQOS just by itself.

This will check if the issue is within the script or the QOS system.
Yes, two different things at work, and I don't think it is the script as I've taken that out of the picture.

1. Turn Adaptive QOS on, apply. Extender still works.
2. Reboot router, extender connection breaks.
3. Turn Adaptive QOS off, apply, extender still broken.
4. Reboot router, extender still broken.
5. Reboot PC, extender can reconnect.

1. Turn Adaptive QOS on, apply. Extender still works.
2. Reboot PC. Extender still works.
3. Reboot router. Extender broken.
4. Turn Adaptive QOS off, apply. Don't reboot router. Reboot PC. Extender can reconnect.

So, clearly something about QOS, not the script, but also something about rebooting the PC and the router as well is affecting the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!