What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not following the setup guide in the first few posts of this thread. Please ensure you are using Adaptive QoS first...
Doh! my bad! Don't know why my head told me to select traditional, instead of adaptive. Thanks!

Oh, and if there's a new update, how do I update? Just run the install script on putty? it won't cause any harm or remove any custom setting I have applied?

Last edited:
Doh! my bad! Don't know why my head told me to select traditional, instead of adaptive. Thanks!

Oh, and if there's a new update, how do I update? Just run the install script on putty? it won't cause any harm or remove any custom setting I have applied?

:)

Also in the first post, or, will be specified with that particular update. :)

Re-read the first few posts. Lots of info. ;)

Yes re-running the install command will overwrite the script with the updated version.

You can view the scripts built in terminal commands by running

Code:
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS

more specifically an available command that you are looking for is:

Code:
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -update

or alternatively :

Code:
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -menu
which will pull up an interactive menu from which you can then select to update the script.

(Note: Also via the terminal is a feature to change the display name of how iptable custom rules display in the tracked connection table. This was not mentioned in the first post but has been thrown in as a feature a while back)

--

All three methods accomplish the same thing.

--

Updates typically do NOT wipe custom settings.
The update introducing ipv6 && bursts is an exception since it WILL wipe settings due to large structural change.

Last edited:
What was the default QOS traffic priority list? I changed it to your recommended list before looking at the defaults.

Thanks.

Updates typically do NOT wipe custom settings.
The update introducing ipv6 && bursts is an exception since it WILL wipe settings due to large structural change.

Wait, does this mean the current version of your script only applies your tweaks to IPv4 traffic? Is IPv6 traffic getting "stock" Adaptive QoS without your modifications?

Wait, does this mean the current version of your script only applies your tweaks to IPv4 traffic? Is IPv6 traffic getting "stock" Adaptive QoS without your modifications?

Ipv6 traffic is receiving all script modifications EXCEPT being parsed against ipv4 rules for category redirection.

There are still noticeable differences in traffic flow compared to stock behavior.

Has there been an update? First post still shows 8.8 from several weeks ago?

no

Last edited:
Ipv6 traffic is receiving all script modifications EXCEPT being parsed against ipv4 rules for category redirection.

There are still noticeable differences in traffic flow compared to stock behavior.

Thanks for the clarification - so "category redirection" refers to the tweak you did where "DEFAULT" gets redirected to "OTHERS", right? (so the user can control the priority)

Thanks for the clarification - so "category redirection" refers to the tweak you did where "DEFAULT" gets redirected to "OTHERS", right? (so the user can control the priority)

That is also category redirection as well but since it implemented via TC (listed as appdb in the webUI section) ipv6 traffic is included.

Only the ipv4 rules (4 enabled by default + gaming rule) do not apply to ipv6 traffic at this time.

That is also category redirection as well but since it implemented via TC (listed as appdb in the webUI section) ipv6 traffic is included.

Only the ipv4 rules (4 enabled by default + gaming rule) do not apply to ipv6 traffic at this time.
It's so weird when I used the gaming rule it was less responsive for call of duty. Like sometimes in gunfights I wouldn't get bullet registration. But when I just put others at the top it would be more responsive and I would get better bullet reg. Wonder why that it

It's so weird when I used the gaming rule it was less responsive for call of duty. Like sometimes in gunfights I wouldn't get bullet registration. But when I just put others at the top it would be more responsive and I would get better bullet reg. Wonder why that it
ive noticed the same sort of thing all along. because of this I prefer the less rules is better strategy. Others at the top and move out only what needs to be. Others I find more useful than voip for voip making it also suitable for the top. most voice services like ventrillo teamspeak discord etc fall into others anyway.

ive noticed the same sort of thing all along. because of this I prefer the less rules is better strategy. Others at the top and move out only what needs to be. Others I find more useful than voip for voip making it also suitable for the top. most voice services like ventrillo teamspeak discord etc fall into others anyway.
Wish gaming rule did work better tho. Cuz gaming is my second from the top. And since its second all the messages and joining party's on the Xbox is so much slower. But the gaming rule would be ideal since it would redirect the 3075 port that cod uses and put it into gaming. But just wish it would be more responsive and actually give you good registration in game.

What was the bandwidth used by gaming when the gaming rule was in use.

If gaming contained COD traffic and had no file transfers occurring, it should perform the same as if COD was left within others. (Eg. both categories are typically not constrained and nondropped packets. ). That is the expected behavior but I don’t game so cannot confirm real world behavior.

It most likely could of been other factors. The COD session is hosted by a random player in a group. Some players are just bad hosts due to poor internet. (QOS users should make good hosts due to reserving upload/download bandwidth for COD)

Now if gaming contained bulk game downloads or other bulk traffic, then what you are saying is true. That’s why I asked for bandwidth used while this was happening.

You are not using ipv6 correct?? With ipv6 the rule redirecting downloads from gaming into game downloads would not be in effect. Also the gaming rule would not be in effect. Which could lead to worse performance.

Last edited:

If gaming contained COD traffic and had no file transfers occurring, it should perform the same as if COD was left within others. (Eg. both categories are typically not constrained and nondropped packets. ). That is the expected behavior but I don’t game so cannot confirm real world behavior.

It most likely could of been other factors. The COD session is hosted by a random player in a group. Some players are just bad hosts due to poor internet. (QOS users should make good hosts due to reserving upload/download bandwidth for COD)

Now if gaming contains bulk game downloads or other bulk traffic, then what you are saying is true. That’s why I asked for bandwidth used while this was happening.
I tried bandwidths with your original settings and got bad bullet registration. Tried putting gaming at 60% reserved bandwidth and everything else on 5% and still got same results. And I tested this with a friend on his host and he has a steady ping because he uses qos aswell. And with others I would get better bullet registration and bullets with hit faster with others at the top compared to the game rule. And in the tracked connections part when I have game rule enabled it shows my traffic as "Game rule: untracked" which is I'm guessing correct. But just doesn't have same kinda response as others. And messages and party's and anything in the game tab suffers.

@Grimluhn

I was talking about checking the bandwidths (aka. rates used) next to the pie charts.

If gaming had high rates while playing COD then only that would explain poorer performance. That could occur if you are using IPv6 since "GameDownloads" would not be redirected away from "Gaming". COD itself doesn't use large amounts of bandwidth.

IPv6 traffic is not supported so the two gaming rules in the ipv4 table are not in effect for any ipv6 traffic. It's not the rules logic is broken, its just missing functionality as of right now.

You need to check that behavior before I brainstorm further.

Last edited:

Now if gaming contained bulk game downloads or other bulk traffic, then what you are saying is true. That’s why I asked for bandwidth used while this was happening.

You are not using ipv6 correct?? With ipv6 the rule redirecting downloads from gaming into game downloads would not be in effect. Also the gaming rule would not be in effect. Which could lead to worse performance.
@FreshJR...thanks for providing this info as far as when using IPV6...maybe add/include somewhere in the 1st 3 post.

This is probably a real stupid question but the '(Optional) Enabling the Gaming Oriented Rule' "... requires you console devices:" This option, is it more for Console devices or are they for devices including PC gaming machines?

And the CIDR calculator, before I download it is the home page http://www.subnet-calculator.com/cidr.php ???

I won't trouble anyone with more questions till I take time and try to understand and learn what to do and if it's a beneficial option for me.

Thanks

This is probably a real stupid question but the '(Optional) Enabling the Gaming Oriented Rule' "... requires you console devices:" This option, is it more for Console devices or are they for devices including PC gaming machines?

And the CIDR calculator, before I download it is the home page http://www.subnet-calculator.com/cidr.php ???

I won't trouble anyone with more questions till I take time and try to understand and learn what to do and if it's a beneficial option for me.

Thanks

Works for PCs as well. But works a lot better for consoles.

I explained what the rule actually does under the hood a few posts back.

Thanks

Mostly console i believe

Status
Not open for further replies.