What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Grimluhn

I was talking about checking the bandwidths (aka. rates used) next to the pie charts.

If gaming had high rates while playing COD then only that would explain poorer performance. That could occur if you are using IPv6 since "GameDownloads" would not be redirected away from "Gaming". COD itself doesn't use large amounts of bandwidth.

IPv6 traffic is not supported so the two gaming rules in the ipv4 table are not in effect for any ipv6 traffic. It's not the rules logic is broken, its just missing functionality as of right now.

You need to check that behavior before I brainstorm further.
Ok so I do have ipv6 disabled. The packet rates when others is at the top and I'm in a multiplayer match shows Rate:5 kB/s packet rate: 57pps and with the gameing rule rate:3kB/s 15pps. Which is significantly slower. But my game transferring speeds are rate:9kB/s packet rate:62pps. Is call of duty being put in game transferring? When game rule is enabled. And not put into gaming?

Ok so I do have ipv6 disabled. The packet rates when others is at the top and I'm in a multiplayer match shows Rate:5 kB/s packet rate: 57pps and with the gameing rule rate:3kB/s 15pps. Which is significantly slower. But my game transferring speeds are rate:9kB/s packet rate:62pps. Is call of duty being put in game transferring? When game rule is enabled. And not put into gaming?

No, most likely Xbox protocols on ports 80,443 are going into game transferring. (Lobby data, chat, etc, but typically not gaming)

With transfer rates so low, it shouldn't matter which category the traffic is being placed into. It could be variance between the server hosts between different matches.

No, most likely Xbox protocols on ports 80,443 are going into game transferring. (Lobby data, chat, etc, but typically not gaming)

With transfer rates so low, it shouldn't matter which category the traffic is being placed into. It could be variance between the server hosts between different matches.
Yeah so when I turned off gaming rule. My game transferring shot down to basically 0 on both the rate and packet rate. But as soon as I turn on gaming rule it shoots back up. I don't understand tbh. When I left a matchmaking lobby game transferring goes down a little. So I think somehow my packets are going to game transferring I kid u not lel. If there's nothing to be done about it. It's fine I'll just use others at top priority

Yeah so when I turned off gaming rule. My game transferring shot down to basically 0 on both the rate and packet rate. But as soon as I turn on gaming rule it shoots back up. I don't understand tbh. When I left a matchmaking lobby game transferring goes down a little. So I think somehow my packets are going to game transferring I kid u not lel. If there's nothing to be done about it. It's fine I'll just use others at top priority

I'll look into it. Perhaps the single redirection from "Others" ends up splitting into "Game && Game Transfering" (unintended && leads to poor performance)

EDIT:

No that was not it

First traffic goes from
Gaming -> Game Transferring
And then traffic goes from
Others -> Gaming
--

With that order of evaluation, no traffic should get redirected from Others --> Game Transferring with the use of the gaming rule.

Last edited:
I'll look into it. Perhaps the single redirection from "Others" ends up splitting into "Game && Game Transfering" (unintended && leads to poor performance)
Ok well doesn't explain why multiple people get bad performance with gaming rule? I honestly am so confused. Why doesn't my gaming rule work for me. Rt-86u btw

EDIT:

No that was not it

First traffic going from
Others -> Gaming
--

With that order of evaluation, no traffic should get redirected from Others --> Game Transferring with the use of the gaming rule.

EDIT:

No that was not it

First traffic going from
Others -> Gaming
--

Ok well maybe I had to wait 5min? Dunno. I'mma leave it on gaming rule for a while and see what happens. Thanks for testing that and helping out

So I just have one gaming device and that's my PC gaming machine. Assigning a static IP is super easy but what needs to be done at the Adaptive QoS Classification tab under IPv4 > Local IP/CIDR? Just enter my static IP address of the gaming rig?

Not sure if you know this or not but you cannot change the default device priority list under 'Bandwidth Monitor' Anytime you change it and hit apply it just reverts to it's original device priority. As recommended on your first page not to change it the suggestion is misleading.

Also sometimes when you turn on Apps Analysis under 'Bandwidth Monitor' it won't even recognize a device that's online. I've had my game machine on while my main rig is on (both wired) and it never recognized my game rig. I think the work-around for this is to manually assign IP addresses. Or reboot the router if you simply turn on 'Apps Analysis', smh.

Both asus bugs.

I programmed my own device detection code for the “device filter” on the classification page and it works properly.

I did a Restore Factory defaults, and initialized all settings. Did this wipe out the FreshJR mod?

Both asus bugs.

I programmed my own device detection code for the “device filter” on the classification page and it works properly.
Will that make it to the next script update may I ask along with bursts.

I did a Restore Factory defaults, and initialized all settings. Did this wipe out the FreshJR mod?
Yes restoring it to factory settings is like you just bought it all over again. Brand spanking new, nothing but ASUS/Merlin firmware stuff on it.

Edit: tweaked my reply for proper grammer and better understanding ;)

Last edited:
@FreshJR Seems I was wrong about the device priority function. It's not like my old RT-N66U where you moved the devices up (high) or down (low) for different priorities, apparently you drag the colored priority indicator to the device and it labels them according to the priority color. Apologies

@QuikSilver I didn't expect that for some reason, thanks for the reply :)

Is it possible for me to add more than 4 iptables rules on the QOS modification screen to your mod screen to classify traffic? I mainly classify ALL traffic to and from 2 ATV, a VOIP system, a Roku, and, a second interface to one of the ATV. So, that's 5 rules I need but there are only 4 lines of boxes not already used.

Is it possible for me to add more than 4 iptables rules on the QOS modification screen to your mod screen to classify traffic? I mainly classify ALL traffic to and from 2 ATV, a VOIP system, a Roku, and, a second interface to one of the ATV. So, that's 5 rules I need but there are only 4 lines of boxes not already used.

I will see if an additional rule can fit into nvram next release.

If not, I can show you how to hardcode rules into the script manually.

Aha, so, I guess no I cannot. But what I might be able to do is re-assign the local IPs assigned so that I can get a nice range of them and it would only take 1 line.

Well, more would still be great, even by doing that, I have used all 4 since I had to define rules for Backblaze to put it into file downloads so as to not stop more important stuff.

Well, more would still be great, even by doing that, I have used all 4 since I had to define rules for Backblaze to put it into file downloads so as to not stop more important stuff.

The only way to pass user variables into the script is by using nvram.

I choose to hijack two existing nvram variables for my own purpose. The variables were originally intended to be used for AsusWRT to provide feedback, but NOT used at all in MerlinWRT. I do not want overtake more nvr variables.

With that, I am limited to 2 x 255 characters (510) of storage for representing user modifications.

I had a thread originally asking if alternate ways exist to pass variables here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/generate-config-file-on-router-from-webui-page.54678/

Last edited:
Not sure if you know this or not but you cannot change the default device priority list under 'Bandwidth Monitor' Anytime you change it and hit apply it just reverts to it's original device priority. As recommended on your first page not to change it the suggestion is misleading.

Also sometimes when you turn on Apps Analysis under 'Bandwidth Monitor' it won't even recognize a device that's online. I've had my game machine on while my main rig is on (both wired) and it never recognized my game rig. I think the work-around for this is to manually assign IP addresses. Or reboot the router if you simply turn on 'Apps Analysis', smh.

If you first go into the network map and click on view list and wait for the view to refresh, the bandwidth monitor will also be updated and usually works fine when assigning.

Short Question:

Should i enable in the Network adapter im my pc Priority & VLAN ?

And should i enable Microsoft-Message Queue-Server in the Windows functions?

All for gaming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!