What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a new rule. Waited well in excess of 5 minutes after applying.

https://i.postimg.cc/qRxvYqJb/rule.png

I wonder if persistent connections remain in the default category, and it's only new connections that hit the rule that get directed correctly?
I believe this is the case and suffer from it myself. When I restart my router I have CCTV cameras and a Ring Doorbell which establish their streams before QoS has initialised and FreshJR has applied after its delay.

I was searching for a way of resetting all my connections without then triggering a restart of QoS a while ago to overcome this but didn’t get anywhere.

with the new router update i got some new names of the qos priority channels which are the correct placement of priority?

with the new router update i got some new names of the qos priority channels which are the correct placement of priority?
Learn-From-Home should go on the bottom. It’s not a useful category as it is currently defined. You can also install the beta version of the script that better handles the new categories:
Code:
curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FreshJR_QOS/develop/FreshJR_QOS.sh" -o /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS --create-dirs && curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FreshJR_QOS/develop/FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp" -o /jffs/scripts/www_FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp && sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install

How can i install it?

Do you have a step by step Installation guide?

Shoudl i enable Format Partition on jffs script?

How can i install it?

Do you have a step by step Installation guide?

Shoudl i enable Format Partition on jffs script?
Just run the long command provided in my post above yours. It will overwrite the existing FreshJR files. If you don’t like the new version, you can reinstall the original through amtm.

You can define a subnet for all your streaming devices.

For example, I have all my streaming devices (mostly Chromecast) manually assigned from 10.0.0.65 to 10.0.0.70

On iptables, I have set 10.0.0.65/29 to streaming. And all of them are inside that subnet :)
that sound great. unfortunately, i have very little knowledge on networking. trying to learn from online but cant find any easy way to do it.

Immediate option is to manually add your rules in the script in the “legacy” sections. Near-future option is to wait until I am ready to release a new version of the script that allows for more rules in the webui. It will require 384.18 or higher though.
thanks. but i dont know how to do it. can u give me the codes for it

So if i just run the log command it will install the script from you, and overwrite the fresh jr script?

Where do i get Updates from the script if it is just in beta?

How can i set 95% bandwith Limit in the script, for better bufferbloat?

How can i install it do i just have to put the line into the Browser?

Whats the best list of category for gaming priority and als streaming?

So gaming on top and then?

So if i just run the log command it will install the script from you, and overwrite the fresh jr script?

Where do i get Updates from the script if it is just in beta?

How can i set 95% bandwith Limit in the script, for better bufferbloat?

How can i install it do i just have to put the line into the Browser?

Whats the best list of category for gaming priority and als streaming?

So gaming on top and then?
Download win scp use scp mode and your router IP and login, then look for a folder called jiffs open it then look for scripts then look for the fresh jr qos file and
look for this when you scroll down:

DownCeil="$(printf "%.0f" $(nvram getqos_ibw))"
UpCeil="$(printf "%.0f" $(nvram get qos_obw))"

Put this under it:
DownCeil="$(expr ${DownCeil} \* 95 / 100)"
UpCeil="$(expr ${UpCeil} \* 95 / 100)"

Should look like this:
DownCeil="$(printf "%.0f" $(nvram get qos_ibw))"
UpCeil="$(printf "%.0f" $(nvram get qos_obw))"
DownCeil="$(expr ${DownCeil} \* 95 / 100)"
UpCeil="$(expr ${UpCeil} \* 95 / 100)"

link to win scp:
https://winscp.net/eng/download.php

fresh jr gave me that ages ago it used to have a log out put, at one point, now it just works.

@dave14305 Not sure if those rules help freshjr gave it to me because i asked him for rules to help with speedtest.net's weird outputs ages ago, when it used to provide values of 95.36 instead of 95.4 that i does now.

Just thought it would be worth while including as default to aid new users, especially non native English speakers, the 95 % can be changed to any value and it still applies.

Last edited:
Ok guys i think i manage to install the latest jiffs Script over putty. But when i run amtm and press u it says that some scripts needs updated but when i go into the jiffs script and Look for Updates it says, the latest Version is installed.

Generally where do i find jffs script Updates to download?
I also have set my custom rules from vexira into the script from jffs

Right now also the category for gaming/streaming is working correct.

Are there any script that i also have to install?

or do you guys have generally any tips for improving ping/lower latency for gaming ?

which category do you prefer as a list if gaming is on top and i also stream when i game :D

Last edited:
@dave14305 Not sure if those rules help freshjr gave it to me because i asked him for rules to help with speedtest.net's weird outputs ages ago, when it used to provide values of 95.36 instead of 95.4 that i does now.

Just thought it would be worth while including as default to aid new users, especially non native English speakers, the 95 % can be changed to any value and it still applies
I’m not sure about hardcoding this into the script, since most users will have already read the guidelines to set your bandwidth to 85-95% of actual speeds. It’s a number that needs tuning sometimes, so to manipulate it behind the scenes could create unexpected results for different users. You could achieve the same results by limiting your max download bandwidth per category to 95%. The root class limit would still be limited by the firmware value, so still better IMO to have the 95% value directly in the firmware.

How can i set all categorys to 95% so that i dont forget one category or some datas goes to a category that is not listed?

I’m not sure about hardcoding this into the script, since most users will have already read the guidelines to set your bandwidth to 85-95% of actual speeds. It’s a number that needs tuning sometimes, so to manipulate it behind the scenes could create unexpected results for different users. You could achieve the same results by limiting your max download bandwidth per category to 95%. The root class limit would still be limited by the firmware value, so still better IMO to have the 95% value directly in the firmware.
How about as an alternative to have it is a gui based toggle as in a bandwidth reserved option that the value is changeable on in the adaptive QoS menu similar to the per packet overhead box, so it's user adjustable, on the fly seems reasonable to me.

I linked it before form ddrwt or open wet they in regards to fq codel had a set of instructions on setting it up, they wrote that 95% is for speed test based values and 85% is if you are using ISP based values.

How about as an alternative to have it is a gui based toggle as in a bandwidth reserved option that the value is changeable on in the adaptive QoS menu similar to the per packet overhead box, so it's user adjustable, on the fly seems reasonable to me.

I linked it before form ddrwt or open wet they in regards to fq codel had a set of instructions on setting it up, they wrote that 95% is for speed test based values and 85% is if you are using ISP based values.
I think it’s an idea best solved outside of this script.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/autobw-automatically-set-qos-bandwidth-using-spdmerlin.63067/

Announcing a beta for FlexQoS, my fork of the venerable FreshJR_QOS script for users running 384.18 beta or higher.

[Beta][Fork] FlexQoS - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

Dedicated to all non-HND router owners who can't have Cake. :rolleyes:
So long freshjr script...
iu

So basically FlexQos is an upgrade to the fresshjr script that you have used and edited toimprove even better?
what is HND ?

Is Cake better than fq_codel ?

Last edited:
Dedicated to all non-HND router owners who can't have Cake. :rolleyes:
Thanks Dave, your efforts here picking up the ball from FreshJR is really appreciated.

I'm one of those testing Cake, but whilst it's amazing at managing the queues, I still think there could be a future where Cake is configured with 4 or 8 "tins" using the traffic marking from adaptive QoS and your script. My reasoning is that cake shares everything fairly, whereas I had issues yesterday with Premier League football viewing being interrupted due to my bandwidth being way over subscribed, but cake trying to share it fairly. What was needed was for the low priority traffic (a large download someone else was running) to back off and only get a much reduced share of the bandwidth.

Thanks Dave, your efforts here picking up the ball from FreshJR is really appreciated.

I'm one of those testing Cake, but whilst it's amazing at managing the queues, I still think there could be a future where Cake is configured with 4 or 8 "tins" using the traffic marking from adaptive QoS and your script. My reasoning is that cake shares everything fairly, whereas I had issues yesterday with Premier League football viewing being interrupted due to my bandwidth being way over subscribed, but cake trying to share it fairly. What was needed was for the low priority traffic (a large download someone else was running) to back off and only get a much reduced share of the bandwidth.
I totally agree with you.
Cake + traffic marking from adaptive QoS + FlexQoS would be THE BOMB.

can cake and felxqos work together ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online