What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@maxbraketorque only you can answer that, after extensive testing in your network, of course. :)

I would, as you already 'proved' by the improved bufferbloat numbers that it is more optimal. :)

@maxbraketorque only you can answer that, after extensive testing in your network, of course. :)

I would, as you already 'proved' by the improved bufferbloat numbers that it is more optimal. :)

I'm trying it out now. So far, no detectable improvements. One question though - How are things like Skype video, Zoom, and other video calling/conferencing classified?

Did you see the first few posts of this thread? Did you set it up fully and properly with the FreshJR QOS script? :)

Did you see the first few posts of this thread? Did you set it up fully and properly with the FreshJR QOS script? :)

Yep, FreshJR is installed and running. The ability to control fraction of bandwidth seems like a key feature.

I get buffer bloat on my up and down even tho I have adaptive qos and the script installed and manually added my bw limits on a rt-ax88u....not sure how to fix/correct this issue.
ill gladly take some advice on how to fix this.

I get buffer bloat on my up and down even tho I have adaptive qos and the script installed and manually added my bw limits on a rt-ax88u....not sure how to fix/correct this issue.
ill gladly take some advice on how to fix this.

Are you using fq_codel?

Umm with corona and everyone at home im hearing internet backbone surges are an issue worldwide atm and there probably isn't much you can do about it. its the internet not yur equipment more than likely even I feel the occasional lag upto 5secs here n there due to it

Has anyone problems with Adaptive Qos and Merlin 384.15? In my ac.68u the tab only shows the traditional Qos and Limit bandwith no Adaptive. Similar after installing FreshJr script.

Has anyone problems with Adaptive Qos and Merlin 384.15? In my ac.68u the tab only shows the traditional Qos and Limit bandwith no Adaptive. Similar after installing FreshJr script.
you might need to accept the disclaimer on the AIProtection area now as the adaptive qos work with the trend micro database along with AIProtection. Im not 100% but seem to recall something like that.

Anybody have any luck setting this up on an ASUS RT-AC5300? Or possibly anybody have any Asus router setup with adaptive qos & FreshJr behind ATT gigabit router 5268ac with DMZ+ mode. There's no double natting or double firewall, the firewall on the ATT router is disabled for the connected asus router.

I've followed the instructions, used Adaptive QoS, manual settings, fq_codel with FreshJr installed/configured
have tried various
WAN packet overhead presets Ethernet VLAN=4, PPOE VDSL=27, Bridge/IPoE VDSL=19
upload bandwidth/download bandwith 85% of ATT speedtest or dslreports.com/speedtest before QoS was enabled.
Adaptive QoS priorities highest to lowest order VoIP & instant messaging, web surfing, gaming, others, video and Audio streaming, File Transferring.

With adaptive QoS Amazon Music sometimes pauses then resumes, sometimes gets stuck, if I disable QoS no issues with amazon music.
with QoS enabled on my work computer skype keeps disconnecting every 5-8min over cisco VPN .
without QoS skype Audio intermittently has audio issues/and loose screen sharing which is why I started looking into QoS and bufferbloat issues.

Skype seems to work best if I enable the ATT gigabit router 5268ac wifi, and have my work laptop bypass ASUS router altogether, but wouldn't 2 wifi in my home interfere with each other. My neighbors have used up most of the wifi channels.

I'll check if my firewall rules are possible culprits.

Haven't looked into Cake queueing discipline with another open source firmware, see if it works better then fq_codel. as I like the merlin echo system.

Anybody have any luck setting this up on an ASUS RT-AC5300? Or possibly anybody have any Asus router setup with adaptive qos & FreshJr behind ATT gigabit router 5268ac with DMZ+ mode. There's no double natting or double firewall, the firewall on the ATT router is disabled for the connected asus router.

I've followed the instructions, used Adaptive QoS, manual settings, fq_codel with FreshJr installed/configured
have tried various
WAN packet overhead presets Ethernet VLAN=4, PPOE VDSL=27, Bridge/IPoE VDSL=19
upload bandwidth/download bandwith 85% of ATT speedtest or dslreports.com/speedtest before QoS was enabled.
Adaptive QoS priorities highest to lowest order VoIP & instant messaging, web surfing, gaming, others, video and Audio streaming, File Transferring.

With adaptive QoS Amazon Music sometimes pauses then resumes, sometimes gets stuck, if I disable QoS no issues with amazon music.
with QoS enabled on my work computer skype keeps disconnecting every 5-8min over cisco VPN .
without QoS skype Audio intermittently has audio issues/and loose screen sharing which is why I started looking into QoS and bufferbloat issues.

Skype seems to work best if I enable the ATT gigabit router 5268ac wifi, and have my work laptop bypass ASUS router altogether, but wouldn't 2 wifi in my home interfere with each other. My neighbors have used up most of the wifi channels.

I'll check if my firewall rules are possible culprits.

Haven't looked into Cake queueing discipline with another open source firmware, see if it works better then fq_codel. as I like the merlin echo system.
Your issue I think is related to your priorities and the over congested internet atm.. "Others" shud be placed above or below voip at the top in your situation.. most onlince voice apps like skype discord teamspeak etc use random ports and fall into the others category.. if you want them to work flawlessly it needs to be higher priority. with freshjr any category can use 100% of the total bandwidth if its available but the higher priorities get what they need 1st it makes sure of it.

It prolly woudnt hurt to go 80%max as well for the time being. the internet itself right now is brutally overloaded with people at home and lag spikes everywhere constantly.

Quality internet isn't about speed. Its about interruption! With FrshJR script running I can use my cellphone and setup frshjr at 1mb up 3mb down and have 2 people watching Netflix 1 person downloading movies and me playing an online game flawlessly :)

Your issue I think is related to your priorities and the over congested internet atm.. "Others" shud be placed above or below voip at the top in your situation.. most onlince voice apps like skype discord teamspeak etc use random ports and fall into the others category.. if you want them to work flawlessly it needs to be higher priority. with freshjr any category can use 100% of the total bandwidth if its available but the higher priorities get what they need 1st it makes sure of it.

It prolly woudnt hurt to go 80%max as well for the time being. the internet itself right now is brutally overloaded with people at home and lag spikes everywhere constantly.

I'm trying few things at a time. I've pushed other priority above voip. still having the issue about every 10 minutes, I am stress testing the network now with 4k video streaming to help catch it. I started monitoring cpu usage using htop a couple of times skype disconnected then reconnected when both cpu cores were 100% for a duration, I've seen 100% sometimes for 10 seconds. last one that was 100% for 10 seconds was dnsmasq. Sometimes both cores are at 100% but htop is showing it's kernel consuming cpu.

when I enable adaptive qos with fq_codel the cpu load goes to 100% more often, memory usage goes from 50% to 60% of overall router ram memory.

I've shutdown some unnecessary monitoring, to help reduce cpu consumption.

adaptive qos->bandwidth monitor->App analysis,
traffic analyzer->Statistics-> traffic analyzer -statistic

next thing i'll shutdown is snmp.

I do have alot of devices, most of which I have utilized manual assigned ip in LAN->DHCP server.

here's a screenshot of another process pegging cpu to 100%

Capture.PNG

I'll try 80% now, and repeat tests.

Last edited:
I'm trying few things at a time. I've pushed other priority above voip. still having the issue about every 10 minutes, I am stress testing the network now with 4k video streaming to help catch it. I started monitoring cpu usage using htop a couple of times skype disconnected then reconnected when both cpu cores were 100% for a duration, I've seen 100% sometimes for 10 seconds. last one that was 100% for 10 seconds was dnsmasq. Sometimes both cores are at 100% but htop is not showing what process is consuming it.

when I enable adaptive qos with fq_codel the cpu load goes to 100% more often, memory usage goes from 50% to 60% of overall router ram memory.

I've shutdown some unnecessary monitoring, to help reduce cpu consumption.

adaptive qos->bandwidth monitor->App analysis,
traffic analyzer->Statistics-> traffic analyzer -statistic

next thing i'll shutdown is snmp.

I do have alot of devices, most of which I have utilized manual assigned ip in LAN->DHCP server.

here's a screenshot of another process pegging cpu to 100%

View attachment 23014

I'll try 80% now, and repeat tests.

whats yur connection speed? qos uses cpu and maxes out under 1gbs.. greatly under depending on what router u have.

whats yur connection speed? qos uses cpu and maxes out under 1gbs.. greatly under depending on what router u have.

from speedtest my measured upload is 800mbps, download is 840mbps when connected via physical wire.
I'm now using 80% of the 2 measurements.

I did find this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac5300-performance-high-cpu-or-not-and-aimesh.62468/
showing other rt-ac5300 owners suffering with high cpu with or without qos.

so i think it may appear that my router has cpu issues, with qos its pushed to its limit before other routers are.
I'll try some of the other qos algorithms that consume less cpu.

If I use automating settings, and sfq or codel algorithm to try reduce cpu usage
will freshJr still get used?

from speedtest my measured upload is 800mbps, download is 840mbps when connected via physical wire.
I'm now using 80% of the 2 measurements.

I did find this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac5300-performance-high-cpu-or-not-and-aimesh.62468/
showing other rt-ac5300 owners suffering with high cpu with or without qos.

so i think it may appear that my router has cpu issues, with qos its pushed to its limit before other routers are.
I'll try some of the other qos algorithms that consume less cpu.

If I use automating settings, and sfq or codel algorithm to try reduce cpu usage
will freshJr still get used?
its not an issue it requires a lot of cpu to perform those tasks at that speed. What you could do is keep bringing your upload and download down until its leaving some cpu cycles and not riding at 100%. in all honesty 1gbps is insane an not needed unless its critical to download large work related stuff or movies instantly. by bringing it down u may not utilize you full speeds but it will be able to manage it properly with the smoothness of a babys bum! haha

If it were me that's what I would do.. try 500up 500down and see how that works

bare in mine the internet right now is badly jammed and there are widescale internet pauses for a few secs here and there that nothing you can do will fix until people back to school work etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!