What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I manually edit upload mine old school. theres a line maybe 3/4 way down with sleep 300

Line 2080 or thereabouts ... is that the one you are talking about?

Code:
logger -t "adaptive QOS" -s -- "TC Modification Delayed Start (5min)"
sleep 300s

Edit: seemingly working for me at Sleep 60 on an RT-AC86U - famous last words? :D

Last edited:
Well its in the freshjr.sh file.. I manually edit upload mine old school. theres a line maybe 3/4 way down with sleep 300. can edi that to like 45 or 60 prolly to be safe and the system log note above it to match so it reports 45-60sec in the logs for added kewlness =p

Thanks! It worked great.

Well its in the freshjr.sh file.. I manually edit upload mine old school. theres a line maybe 3/4 way down with sleep 300. can edi that to like 45 or 60 prolly to be safe and the system log note above it to match so it reports 45-60sec in the logs for added kewlness =p

Which line is the system log note i need to change?

Is it this?

Code:
if [ "$arg1" == "mount" ] ; then
            logger -t "adaptive QOS" -s -- "--Post USB Mount-- Delayed Start (10min)"
            sleep 600s

Which line is the system log note i need to change?

Is it this?

Code:
if [ "$arg1" == "mount" ] ; then
            logger -t "adaptive QOS" -s -- "--Post USB Mount-- Delayed Start (10min)"
            sleep 600s

Look at the entry just above that one.

I changed this:
sleep 600s
fi

To This:
logger -t "adaptive QOS" -s -- "TC Modification Delayed Start (2min)"
sleep 120s
fi

CAB8777C-7992-43FF-89E4-8C7399C625CC.jpeg

Do we use Adaptive QoS, Traditional or Bandwidth Limiter when setting up? It says no to use automatic but not sure which that is?

Look at the entry just above that one.

I changed this:
sleep 600s
fi

To This:
logger -t "adaptive QOS" -s -- "TC Modification Delayed Start (2min)"
sleep 120s
fi

View attachment 24040
correct sorry was tied up.. that's all you needed to do.. editing the sleep timer and the logger note in brackets to reflect it. don't even need to edit the logger note but why say 5min there if its actually less right?

Interestingly, I've got an old baby cisco e4200 v1 running Openwrt latest stable release, never bothered to tweak it much , except firewall etc

As I've started enjoying Qos after latest category proper identifications mostly, i installed sqm on openwrt, came across two like FQ_CODEL vs CAKE, got interested in Cake and i was surprised by it, both are hard worked but i felt CAKE worth sharing here

Read a good wiki as well
https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/

Someday, on our asus devices we'll have cake too ;)

@dave14305 , @ everyone:cool:

Interestingly, I've got an old baby cisco e4200 v1 running Openwrt latest stable release, never bothered to tweak it much , except firewall etc

As I've started enjoying Qos after latest category proper identifications mostly, i installed sqm on openwrt, came across two like FQ_CODEL vs CAKE, got interested in Cake and i was surprised by it, both are hard worked but i felt CAKE worth sharing here

Read a good wiki as well
https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/

Someday, on our asus devices we'll have cake too ;)

@dave14305 , @ everyone:cool:
Depending on your internet speeds/router, you can try running "cake" with the script/post below:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac86u-i-built-cake.49190/page-3#post-589049

Last edited:
Can anyone speak to the behavior of the device priority setting (highest, high, medium...etc)? I know Fresh had mentioned concerns about the behavior when using those designations. I have an Arlo camera system who's traffic is flagged as web (HTTP over TLS SSL) and ideally I don't want all web traffic at the top of my QOS categories. If I place the entire Arlo device as "highest" will that solve the problem?

Can anyone speak to the behavior of the device priority setting (highest, high, medium...etc)? I know Fresh had mentioned concerns about the behavior when using those designations. I have an Arlo camera system who's traffic is flagged as web (HTTP over TLS SSL) and ideally I don't want all web traffic at the top of my QOS categories. If I place the entire Arlo device as "highest" will that solve the problem?
I don't think the guidance has changed regarding Device Priority. It ends up choking per device bandwidth within a category, as I seem to remember.

HTTP over TLS SSL should be in the Web Surfing class once the script is applied. What do you mean by "at the top of my QOS categories?"

I was referring to the adaptive QoS order found on the QoS tab - customize. I didn't want Web Surfing to be the highest of the order but after thinking about it I suppose it really shouldn't matter as long as the web surfing class has an appropriately specified minimum percentage?

I don't think the guidance has changed regarding Device Priority. It ends up choking per device bandwidth within a category, as I seem to remember.

HTTP over TLS SSL should be in the Web Surfing class once the script is applied. What do you mean by "at the top of my QOS categories?"
I think he meant in net control priority

There is no Adaptive QoS without Trend Micro.

Yup. Thought as much. Looks like the CAKE route might be the way to go then....see if that thread gets life. I'd like to getaway from any Trend Micro. This is the last one for me :)

I'm on the latest script (dave's) on 384.18_alpha1-gb66d5282dd and am getting these errors in system log, periodically (sometimes in 10 minutes, sometimes in 20):

https://pastebin.com/raw/CVCTm6FZ

Not sure if it's something related to the Alpha build itself, or the QoS script, just wanted to report this if anyone else is seeing this in their logs.

Otherwise I am not experiencing any negative impact on Internet usage.

I'm on the latest script (dave's) on 384.18_alpha1-gb66d5282dd and am getting these errors in system log, periodically (sometimes in 10 minutes, sometimes in 20):

https://pastebin.com/raw/CVCTm6FZ

Not sure if it's something related to the Alpha build itself, or the QoS script, just wanted to report this if anyone else is seeing this in their logs.

Otherwise I am not experiencing any negative impact on Internet usage.
It’s a long standing issue on AC86Us. Search forums for “tainted”. Some believe it’s triggered by the presence of Pixelserv and its extra br0 interface.

It’s a long standing issue on AC86Us. Search forums for “tainted”. Some believe it’s triggered by the presence of Pixelserv and its extra br0 interface.

Sounds about right, I am using Diversion (Standard) alongside.

Many thanks to you (and FreshJR) for your wonderful work!

Yup. Thought as much. Looks like the CAKE route might be the way to go then....see if that thread gets life. I'd like to getaway from any Trend Micro. This is the last one for me :)

Cake is kewl but if I recall isn't compatible with the Linux version used by asus routers.. need 4.6+ or something.. also running cake without qos might be slightly better than no cake but wont help the bufferbloat issue on the isp end. the very purpose of qos is to be the bottleneck of your entire network so its in complete control of what transmits 1st.. without it the HUGE buffers on the isp end build up and then u have huge bufferbloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!