What's new

vnStat [Release] vnStat-on-Merlin - UI, CLI and email - data use and data limit monitoring - R1 and R2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New version: 1.0.1 has been posted! See notes here: https://www.snbforums.com/goto/post?id=677570.

Minor backend changes and some front-end formatting and communication changes to add clarity to the cycles.

A regular u update should suffice.

Last edited:
Hello

I seem to have a problem whereby vnstat is showing the same stats roughly for download/upload with a small difference i.e. 30GB download, 29GB upload same thing happens for each day.

My connection is Download 35MB & Upload 5MB so the upload speed can never be as high as it is.

Not sure how to resolve and I can see someone else had the same issue but was'nt sure if it was resolved or not.

RT-AC5300 - FW: 386.2
vnstat
conman
spdMerlin
diversion
Skynet
dnscrypt

Any ideas?

Hello

I seem to have a problem whereby vnstat is showing the same stats roughly for download/upload with a small difference i.e. 30GB download, 29GB upload same thing happens for each day.

My connection is Download 35MB & Upload 5MB so the upload speed can never be as high as it is.

Not sure how to resolve and I can see someone else had the same issue but was'nt sure if it was resolved or not.

RT-AC5300 - FW: 386.2
vnstat
conman
spdMerlin
diversion
Skynet
dnscrypt

Any ideas?
Ensure that NAT ACCELERATION and HARDWARE ACCELERATION are disabled. Anything that bypasses the TCP/IP stack will not report correctly. Disable both and watch for a day or two. At your speeds you should not impact performance by disabling these.

Minor hotfix for users on MIPS: as we work to incorporate vnStat 2.6-1, we lose support for MIPS, so R1 will be maintained for those devices on a separate branch.

The only other change you may notice is the addition of the "friendly name" to the daily and to the data limit email messages. Those were also hotfixes which apply to all supported routers.

This is beyond picky: 1.0.1 padded an extra space into the monthly estimated line totals.

in the emails, but I think also in the gui. Monthly only, in the bottom "estimated" line. For the email:

1619303131920.png

Last edited:
in the emails, but I think also in the gui. Monthly only, in the bottom "estimated" line.
afaik that line is generated by vnstat itself.
webui looks like the centre alignment playing up for some reason. i suspect the change in the month format to YYYY-mm (d)

It was correct in 1.0.0.

@dev_null @Jack Yaz

Just curious, I'm trying this on an RT-AX86U, and although I have "emails for daily summary stats" turned OFF, I still get the following in the System Log:-

Code:
Apr 26 23:59:02 AsusRouter dn-vnstat: Attempting to send summary statistic email
Apr 26 23:59:02 AsusRouter dn-vnstat: Email failed to send

As a test, I turned daily stats emails ON for a day, and I got the email fine!

Turned it off again, and got the error messages in the log again the next day ...

:)

@dev_null @Jack Yaz

Just curious, I'm trying this on an RT-AX86U, and although I have "emails for daily summary stats" turned OFF, I still get the following in the System Log:-

Code:
Apr 26 23:59:02 AsusRouter dn-vnstat: Attempting to send summary statistic email
Apr 26 23:59:02 AsusRouter dn-vnstat: Email failed to send

Turned it off again, and got the error messages in the log again the next day ...

Similar situation here, I don't have vnstat configured for email, nor do I have Diversion configured for email. I like the instructions, and they would be helpful IF I had email summaries configured. Since I don't, it's just nagging me to no purpose and thus not helpful...

A minor annoyance at best, but would be a nice enhancement if possible.
Code:
Apr 27 23:59:02 AC86U-MAIN dn-vnstat: dn-vnstat relies on Diversion to send email summaries, and email settings have not been configured
Apr 27 23:59:02 AC86U-MAIN dn-vnstat: Navigate to amtm > 1 (Diversion) > c (communication) > 5 (edit email settings, test email) to set this up

I rebooted for the first time since the last hotfixes and now the gui add-ons tab for Vnstat has disappeared and nothing I try brings it back. That being said, if I just type in the address, http://x.x.x.x/user3.asp, the page shows up. It's as if there's a broken link. Is it my setup or is maybe something broken? Thanks for any help.

Sorry for a dumb question, but where do I disable NAT ACCELERATION and HARDWARE ACCELERATION? I cannot find those options in any of the menu screens.

Sorry for a dumb question, but where do I disable NAT ACCELERATION and HARDWARE ACCELERATION? I cannot find those options in any of the menu screens.
That option (they are both the same thing) doesn't exist on the HND routers.

@dev_null @Jack Yaz

Similar situation here, I don't have vnstat configured for email, nor do I have Diversion configured for email. I like the instructions, and they would be helpful IF I had email summaries configured. Since I don't, it's just nagging me to no purpose and thus not helpful...

A minor annoyance at best, but would be a nice enhancement if possible.
Just merged a hotfix that should address this issue. Thanks to @Jack Yaz

I rebooted for the first time since the last hotfixes and now the gui add-ons tab for Vnstat has disappeared and nothing I try brings it back. That being said, if I just type in the address, http://x.x.x.x/user3.asp, the page shows up. It's as if there's a broken link. Is it my setup or is maybe something broken? Thanks for any help.
This is a unfortunately not something we can control. One or two of the "user-pages" isn't using the underpinning code and will on occasion over-write the menutree or one of the other userX.asp pages.

The way I have found to be solve it is to reboot. I haven't had a time where a reboot (maybe 2) hasn't solved the issue. I know Jack has been trying to get the add-ons codebase aligned to solve this issue, but it's a WIP.

Last edited:
What does TOOLS > SYSINFO > HW ACCELERATION say about RUNNER and FLOW CACHE (these are the 'new' HwA setting names)?

There are no UI settings for these; the software that requires they be enabled/disabled changes settings in nvram, mostly automatically.

vnStat-on-Merlin does not modify these settings, preferring to leave it to the user to determine if HA is more important than date-use monitoring.

You can modify these settings from the CLI should you choose to do so.

In TOOLS > SYSINFO > NETWORK > HW ACCELERATION, both RUNNER and FLOW CACHE say they are Enabled. What are the CLI commands to disable them? Cake need both to be disabled?