What's new

vnStat [Release] vnStat-on-Merlin - UI, CLI and email - data use and data limit monitoring - R1 and R2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Was looking at my system log for something and saw this as the most recent entry in the log:

dn-vnstat: Lock file found (age: 600 seconds)

Just wondering what it means. Is it an issue?

Thanks

Edit:

This one just showed up:

dn-vnstat: Stale lock file found (>600 seconds old) - purging lock

Thanks,

I dumped my whole log file and this only happened this one time. Doesn't look like it is an issue, just wondering what it is.
it means a prior running instance of dn-vnstat didn't exit cleanly and clean up the lock file for some reason

it means a prior running instance of dn-vnstat didn't exit cleanly and clean up the lock file for some reason
OT in this thread, but is it safe to assume your using the same block of code in conmon?

OT in this thread, but is it safe to assume your using the same block of code in conmon?
Yup, derived originally from functions in Skynet. Its used to prevent overlapping instances which could cause funky data if two instances tried to generate the chart data, for example

Reactions: MvW
This is a suggestion so minor I hesitate to make it. But it might be helpful in the stats email to incorporate the "router friendly name" or something similar in the subject line.

I now have two emails coming each day from two different locations with the same subject line. It would be modestly helpful to know which is which.

This is a suggestion so minor I hesitate to make it. But it might be helpful in the stats email to incorporate the "router friendly name" or something similar in the subject line.

I now have two emails coming each day from two different locations with the same subject line. It would be modestly helpful to know which is which.
The friendly name is the "From" address; update it in Diversion.

looks like vnstat2 might be on the way....
For those wondering, the 2.x version is not compatible with vnStat-on-Merlin (VoM). You won't be able to update it without removing 1.18 (the vnStat version VoM is based on), and if you do, it will disable the functions of VoM. There are some interesting 2.x features that Jack and I will be exploring, but as far as I am aware 1.18 will continue in the Entware library for the foreseeable future.

For those wondering, the 2.x version is not compatible with vnStat-on-Merlin (VoM). You won't be able to update it without removing 1.18 (the vnStat version VoM is based on), and if you do, it will disable the functions of VoM. There are some interesting 2.x features that Jack and I will be exploring, but as far as I am aware 1.18 will continue in the Entware library for the foreseeable future.

As an aside, why is the GUI tab label dn-vnstat instead of VoM?

The friendly name is the "From" address; update it in Diversion.
If you are sending the email through gmail's smtp server to your gmail account, "From" becomes "me" in the email listing until you open it. Diversion bridges this a bit by putting the "Router Friendly Name" in the subject line as well.

I think there might be some tinkering that needs to be done with the uninstall function. For reasons that are not clear to me, my interface switched from "eth0" to "vlan2". It may have had something to do with enabling guest access, but my stats went to zero.

I edited the .conf file to change the default interface to eth0, and then the script went a little kerblooey with error messages about dividing by zero, no such file, etc. So I uninstalled through the menu, and that had errors that might have uninstalled some parts but not others. UF followed by uninstall didn't get me back on the straight and narrow. I had to manually trace down and delete files to wipe it out. Then it installed fine, detecting eth0 as the interface.

. For reasons that are not clear to me, my interface switched from "eth0" to "vlan2". It may have had something to do with enabling guest access, but my stats went to zero.

I edited the .conf file to change the default interface to eth0,
These are conflicting statements. You say it changed to vlan2 yet you tried setting eth0?

These are conflicting statements. You say it changed to vlan2 yet you tried setting eth0?
Yes. The .conf file showed the default interface as vlan2, and the stats page showed traffic (zero) for that interface. So I edited the .conf file to change the interface to eth0 and that messed everything up.

Leaving out the important bit: this is on John's fork and a 56U.

That'd be my doing. Also, for a reason i just realised, vom means something totally different in UK slang :D
I shall never use the abbreviation again.

If you are sending the email through gmail's smtp server to your gmail account, "From" becomes "me" in the email listing until you open it. Diversion bridges this a bit by putting the "Router Friendly Name" in the subject line as well.
Ah, I see. I have a separate email account dedicated to the router (I use gsuite or whatever they call it this week) and I don't use the gmail client, so wasn't aware of this limitation. Will add it to the "wish list" - modify subject line with Router Friendly Name.

Yes. The .conf file showed the default interface as vlan2, and the stats page showed traffic (zero) for that interface. So I edited the .conf file to change the interface to eth0 and that messed everything up.

Leaving out the important bit: this is on John's fork and a 56U.
could be a fork issue, but wan interface being vlan is usually hardware acceleration related. some improvements to ensure an interface is always specified are due in the next maintenance release of v1/R1 of the script.

.conf would have used vlan2 from install when we try to detect the WAN interface from nvram, the script doesn't change the interface in .conf otherwise