What's new

Replace a router or add?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flenn

New Around Here
I currently have a Trendnet TEW-633GR (D-LINK DIR-655 hardware clone) and am looking to replace it with a current gen router. I know that running slower wifi devices (802.11B or G) on a N router will slow down all connections so I was originally going to ask if the current crop of new dual band routers are affected in the same way and whether you can get around this using a guest network for slow devices and the main network for N devices. Are the slowdowns a function of the network or the radio?

Then, after thinking about it, I have another question -some background: My family's needs have grown to the point where we have more than 10 wired devices (gaming consoles, tivo, PC's, home server, media players) and over 10 wireless devices ranging from 802.11B, G and N. At any one moment, we could be streaming Netflix, watching TV via the HDHomerun, transferring files from the home server, playing a PC and/or console game and more. Although the TEW-633GR is hanging in there, I feel that will all the activity, it probably makes sense to upgrade to a current gen router that offers more performance for multiple connections.

So, here's the question: Do you think it makes sense to add a router rather than replace the TEW-633GR? From the router's location, I have 3 wired runs throughout the house, 2 with gigabit switches, one with 10/100 switch. They service hard wired devices at each location. It would be very easy to swap out the 10/100 switch and use the TEW-633GR as an access point in its place. I could then add a RT-N56U or E4200 (or the new TEW-692GR) to do the heavy lifting at the original location. If so, by setting up the Trendnet to service the B and G devices only, the new router could handle all the N connections. Thoughts?

Use ONE router per ISP service.

Add Access Points (APs) to increase coverage, or
Add Access Points on different SSIDs to link with old 11B devices and let 11g/n connect to a different SSID produced by newer APs or the WiFi router.

Any WiFi router can be reconfigured to emulate an AP. Though it was a router, when so configured, call it an AP.

There's a FAQ here on how to setup a WiFi router to be an AP.

Any AP can connect to THE router via cat5 wire, HomePlug AV, MoCA, or least desired, via a wireless repeater link called WDS. The latter usually needs to be between like-brand/model devices, and a WSD repeater halves the throughput.

Use ONE router per ISP service

Just to clarify. If I turn my TEW-633GR into an access point and hardwire it to my newly purchased latest gen router, say the E4200, I would only have ONE router for my one ISP, correct? The AP would have one SSID and the E4200 would have a different SSID. Is there a speed hit putting 11g and 11n devices on the same radio? If not, I would let the new router handle both and, as you said, let the AP do the 11B stuff.

TIA

yes, you have the idea.

11g devices in some uncommon modes can slow down 11n - in the usual 20MHz mode of 11n. Unless you are pressing for really high speeds, it's probably a non-issue. But 11b coexistence is such that if the client cannot be upgraded to 11g, then it probably makes sense to have a dedicated 11b-only SSID on a different channel (1, 6 or 11).

In the 40MHz mode of 11n, things are more complex and irregular among vendors, as to the impact of 11g/11n mixes. I think the 40MHz mode is relatively rarely used for a number of technically boring reasons.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!