What's new

Replicating data from Synology to QNAP NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dubhead

New Around Here
Hello,
I am looking for the most efficient way to move my data from my current Synology DS1813+ NAS to my brand new QNAP TVS-951X NAS. The Synology is currently configured with link aggregation for two of the Ethernet (RJ45) ports on the back of it and connected directly to my router which is similarly configured (aggregated) to receive the most bandwidth from the NAS for the network. Using Cat 6 cables all around currently. My main questions now arise on how I can dump all my data from the Synology to the QNAP. The QNAP has a 1Gbps and 10Gbps (RJ45) port which can apparently be trunked (aggregated) so I am thinking I can just take the existing two ethernet cables from the aggregated ports on the Synology and attach them to the two ports in the back of the QNAP. Not sure what protocol ( 802.3ad?) should use on QNAP for trunking but it seems like this should work.
Alternately, I have an older Netgear GS728TP switch with 4 SFP (not plus) ports that I could potentially connect the QNAP to directly from just the 10GB (RJ45) and get some kind of adapter/transceiver to take the RJ45 to SFP and then similarly connect the Synology to the switch and aggregate the ports on the switch as well so that the Synology is pushing maximum bandwidth through the switch and back to the QNAP NAS. Why add the switch in the middle? Well ultimately I want to use this switch as it has PoE to help drive a number of surveillance cams I have and want to use the QNAP NAS with among other things. Don't think that the QNAP or Synology will ever have enough speed to even saturate an SFP connection (4Gbps?) since both use spinning disks (7200rpm) in a RAID 5. The QNAP will have 4 SSD 1TB Samsung 860 EVO drives for SSD caching to help with speeds a bit but still wouldn't saturate. Just wanting maximum throughput to do the 24TB of transfer as possible.
Also not sure if I need Cat 7 cables or not since not really running long distances or anything. Any help here would be very much appreciated! :D

~Dubhead

Link aggregation won't help you, since you'd be having one single client at a time transferring data. LAG only helps with multiple concurrent clients.

QNAP supports rsync. If the Synology supports it too, I would use that to copy the data between both NAS - more efficient than copying using a client machine.

test the rsync speed. It might end up being faster to copy through USB3 port to a drive and then back to the QNAP.

rsync is likely the best way to move data over from the Synology to the QNAP...

Check the QNAP forums and they also have a great set of docs over on their wiki...