What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. I installed the script to have automatic updates of the addons and since then when I enter AMTM the system is as if it were in a loop, it continues to repeatedly give me the screen of the addons that I have installed. How can I remove the addon auto update script?
This script has nothing to do with addons. There are already posts in the forum about the problem you're describing with amtm.

Good morning everyone. I installed the script to have automatic updates of the addons and since then when I enter AMTM the system is as if it were in a loop, it continues to repeatedly give me the screen of the addons that I have installed. How can I remove the addon auto update script?

This script is for auto updates of the Merlin Firmware. Not auto updates of the add-ons. All add-ons should handle their own update processes.
That being said, nothing in the script should cause this behavior just for being installed.

Try to run the script, and then uninstall it, to see if it makes a difference. Also please include the model for any reported issues.
if you have the chance, uninstall and report back.

I was away over the holidays, but I do see the posts that @ColinTaylor is mentioning here for example:

This is a known issue unrelated to my script for handling firmware updates.

I was away over the holidays, but I do see the posts that @ColinTaylor is mentioning here for example:

This is a known issue unrelated to my script for handling firmware updates.
Thanks for the reply, I managed to solve it

Thanks for the reply, I managed to solve it

Happy to be of service. :)

For anyone else in this thread still interested in the developments of this script.

Martinski and I have tested extensively and resolved pretty much every known issue or bug at this point on the 5 router models we have access too.
We will be testing with our slue of routers with the upcoming release of 388.6 before making a new public post about the tool being 'production' ready under the "add-ons" section.

Any testers that identify bugs or issues at this point for the script would be a new/unknown issue. (We have a few highly experienced scripting individuals from the forums testing and reporting back via DM).

Yes, I do realize some people are still skeptical of Auto-Updates. In that case they can just not download it or install it ;)

It's not going to stop me going forwards since it almost scrapped the idea/project in the first place. I no longer listen to none-believers.
Anyone throwing shade will simply be flat out ignored.

However I think people will warm up to the idea when they see the amount of work put into securing the update until the very last moment the script lets the router take over.
For now, I am no longer seeking feedback & contributions for MerlinAU. This thread can be closed. (It's no longer just a discussion on theory and technique like this original post...)

Many thanks for the firmware. I have just installed it and found I can now connect a router VPN and the AiMesh is more stable and connects more readily to the other devices: well done!
Donation made and well worth it!

May I make a suggestion:
I have just dipped my toe into the router VPN funstion (this didn't work for me at all in Asus) and found the first connection took some time to establish after enabling.
I had some concern the device IP address was displaying my ISP not VPN location.
After that initial connection was made it appears to take about a minute for a device to confirm the VPN connection. I use the 'Internet + Killswitch' option.
Would it be possible to display the VPN connection status on the GUI?
Would it be possible to prevent the device from communicating through the router to the outside world until the VPN was established?
At the moment the connection appears to be leaky!

Many thanks for the firmware. I have just installed it and found I can now connect a router VPN and the AiMesh is more stable and connects more readily to the other devices: well done!
Donation made and well worth it!

May I make a suggestion:
I have just dipped my toe into the router VPN funstion (this didn't work for me at all in Asus) and found the first connection took some time to establish after enabling.
I had some concern the device IP address was displaying my ISP not VPN location.
After that initial connection was made it appears to take about a minute for a device to confirm the VPN connection. I use the 'Internet + Killswitch' option.
Would it be possible to display the VPN connection status on the GUI?
Would it be possible to prevent the device from communicating through the router to the outside world until the VPN was established?
At the moment the connection appears to be leaky!

I believe you posted this in the wrong thread.

Seeking Feedback & Contributions: Merlin Auto Update Solutions​

Would imply my feedback and contribution was in the correct thread!

Just a dumb user... I think scripting the update process is really cool. As a user how I work is this. Read these forums, ask some questions and maybe if I'm lucky I get to answer a question. As a RMerlin user you should know that I went to some effort initially when I researched and bought my ASUS router to see if there maybe was a more robust solution to the vendor supplied firmware out there. How do you think you all ended up here? With that perspective in mind, I do read these forums and notice when I see a new version being worked on. When I see that the firmware goes GA (General Availability) I follow the thread for a while, sift out the chaff and eventually do the update. What I would like this script to do is just be initiated from the Administration -> Firmware Update panel rather than essentially manually do the update. A couple of advantages I can see to taking maybe a little less "automatic" update approach is 1) I'm there and ready to jump in if required 2) I don't think you'd have to worry about the whole password security thing because this would be initiated be the user already logged into the router. Don't know about your phones or other devices, but like my phone and ecobee thermostat tell me when there's an update and "asks" if I want to continue to update.

Just a dumb user... I think scripting the update process is really cool. As a user how I work is this. Read these forums, ask some questions and maybe if I'm lucky I get to answer a question. As a RMerlin user you should know that I went to some effort initially when I researched and bought my ASUS router to see if there maybe was a more robust solution to the vendor supplied firmware out there. How do you think you all ended up here? With that perspective in mind, I do read these forums and notice when I see a new version being worked on. When I see that the firmware goes GA (General Availability) I follow the thread for a while, sift out the chaff and eventually do the update. What I would like this script to do is just be initiated from the Administration -> Firmware Update panel rather than essentially manually do the update. A couple of advantages I can see to taking maybe a little less "automatic" update approach is 1) I'm there and ready to jump in if required 2) I don't think you'd have to worry about the whole password security thing because this would be initiated be the user already logged into the router. Don't know about your phones or other devices, but like my phone and ecobee thermostat tell me when there's an update and "asks" if I want to continue to update.

Hi @W3Wilkes, thanks for the comment.

Please direct these questions to the MerlinAU addon thread mentioned above :)
This is an old thread, the Addon long exists already and the discussion on theory around it can be closed.

What I would like this script to do is just be initiated from the Administration -> Firmware Update panel rather than essentially manually do the update.

It would need to be integrated into the Firmware for that, RMerlin has already said he is not interested in including Auto-Update in his firmware.

1) I'm there and ready to jump in if required

You can do this interactively with SSH as is it now.

2) I don't think you'd have to worry about the whole password security thing because this would be initiated be the user already logged into the router.

You cannot have 2 users signed into the WebUI at once. Considering the addon logs into the WebUI to trigger the update, you cannot be signed in at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.