What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wow pretty long thread. Have a question for you guys about this beast of a router.

I have the rt-ac3100 and I have a buddy of mine that is selling me a brand new one of these for $200.

Is it worth getting this getting or should I just save up and get the new AX one???

Also could I down load the raptures FW on this bad boy, since I am not getting the Rapture model?

Will be using as a basic router, none of the specific stuff you guys use your routers for.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:
Wow pretty long thread. Have a question for you guys about this beast of a router.

I have the rt-ac3100 and I have a buddy of mine that is selling me a brand new one of these for $200.

Is it worth getting this getting or should I just save up and get the new AX one???

Also could I down load the raptures FW on this bad boy, since I am not getting the Rapture model?

Will be using as a basic router, none of the specific stuff you guys use your routers for.

Thanks in advance guys.

I would save up to do the next logical upgrade (AX) in a year or so. ;)

Used as a basic router, you are doing a side-grade, not an upgrade and at $200, while a pretty good deal, it is not going to be worth it.

The GT and the AC versions cannot share their different firmware(s). They have differing hardware underneath. ;)

So guessing the fine folks at Asus have forgotten about us? Figured we'd have seen some new firmware by now giving us back the 2nd 5Ghz radio. Guess I need to put in these Nokia beacons I have sitting here to see if they are worth a darn or if I just need to bite the bullet and go bigger/ better.

Not only about "us". About everyone!
I don't know what they are planning, but 3m+ without a firmware it better be nice!
Full of bugs, 100%, but at minimum, I'm expecting for them to keep the promise and give us back the 2nd 5GHz radio ;)

I've been wondering about firmware updates also, if we're abandoned in favor of the Next Big Thing (ax routers).

Somehow, I managed to finesse this thing into not crashing every few hours (when it checked for signature updates).

I've abandoned Asus motherboards in 2005 for firmware issues, then laptops in 2008 for firmware issues, and now networking equipment for....firmware issues.

If Asus made...paper, I suppose I might trust them with that.

Thanks in advance guys.

this may not be a popular opinion but I would pass on it.I'm considering putting in extra ventelation (via bullets) holes into mine. I've kind of lost faith in Asus overall. I'll describe somewhat in the next post

Returning OUT of mesh mode? Asus tech support says it can't be done.

The setup: I have an GT AC5300 that I've ran in mesh mode for about a year with my old AC68U. No matter what, it SEEMS to be ok but everything connected thru the AC68U will drop off (phones, thermostat, roku) about once a week maybe. Not enough to torch everything but annoying. (& fyi, they're only about 10ft apart, on the same floor, maybe 2 sheetrock walls to go thru and the signal strenth from the AC68U shows excellent back to the 5300). I have a friend who has a GT AC5300 that he's never entered into mesh mode. His shows as 3 wireless bands that are available for everything to use, 2.4ghz, 5.4ghz and second 5.4ghz. All three routers mentioned here in this post are running FW Version:3.0.0.4.384_45149 btw. Well, I've decided to give up on Asus Mesh. I unplugged the AC68U and my three wifis are still showing 2.4gz & 5ghz1 and then the 5ghz2 is in backhaul "5 GHz-2 is now used as dedicated WiFi backhaul under AiMesh mode.". I contacted Asus to see how to turn this backhaul off and get the 5gh2 back to something that can be used by anything. Not possible according to Asus tech support. Under my wireless heading at the top of the page, I have my MYSSIDNAME and MYSSIDNAME-dwb. Just weird....

I'm guessing I could do a factory reset but then I'd lose all of my routes I have set for my media servers, Synology NAS and also my wireless cams now. If I'm going to go through that amount of trouble, I'd likely be better off changing routers altogether. I did turn my back on netgear years ago as I had bought a $400? (iirc) router from them and called into tech support 1 week after support ended (which was 1yr) and they wouldnt do anything for me. "Its dead Jim" was the analysis. Not even any sort of discount on a replacement router. That's actually what pointed me towards Asus. Now that I'm onboard the Asus train, it really looks to me like they're more concerned with gaming themes, leds, smoke and lazers than any sort of serious networking. This thing has been out for over a year and the forum is still full of bugs & the documentation is still for the regular GT-AC5300 (that has a normal, non game influenced) interface. Just in case anyone asks, its ok, been asked before "why'd you get the GT-AC5300 then and not just the standard RT-AC5300?". Actually a valid question. The thing is, the GT has twice the cores, twice the ram and a lot more network ports. At the time I had the spare cash and wanted the absolute, top of the line, most powerful router they offered. It seems insane to be they dont offer a FW flash that would allow you to have a normal interface like the RT. btw, I'm not knocking gaming. I love video games too but I'd rather play my games on the computer or console than have all the setup like they have in the Router Config page.

sorry about that, got off on a rant I guess. hahaha.

back to the point, anyone have any idea (other than a factory reset) to get this POS out of mesh mode?

You could use the firmware settings backup utility, edit which settings are saved, factory reset, then restore.

@pinkfloyd1173 You have to wonder why he's selling this for $200. If someone offered me that much for mine, I wouldn't hesitate.

You could use the firmware settings backup utility, edit which settings are saved, factory reset, then restore.

@pinkfloyd1173 You have to wonder why he's selling this for $200. If someone offered me that much for mine, I wouldn't hesitate.

I don't think there is any tool available that makes the saved config files editable or even readable?

I actually thought about that but there's a couple of hesitancies. One is that it might restore this "Asus Mesh is on" problem I'm having. Not the end of the world but would be all effort for nothing. Another is what if it doesn't restore ANYTHING and now I'm "sol" and back to square one. If I'm there, Asus is going out the window. lol

I actually thought about that but there's a couple of hesitancies. One is that it might restore this "Asus Mesh is on" problem I'm having. Not the end of the world but would be all effort for nothing. Another is what if it doesn't restore ANYTHING and now I'm "sol" and back to square one. If I'm there, Asus is going out the window. lol

Is it really that laborious to configure your router from scratch, or is it only a nuisance because you don't have a record of your settings?

OE

Is it really that laborious to configure your router from scratch, or is it only a nuisance because you don't have a record of your settings?

OE
It's a nuisance mainly because the Asus UI sucks and is sloooooooooow

I don't want to re-do my 30 DHCP reservations and neat icons I imported or document my configuration by hand and fat-finger it back in every time there's a firmware update (which might not be an issue anymore, it's beginning to seem)

Work smarter, not harder

That was once a great and very useful script. It has been abandoned for a reason.

Proceed cautiously, use at own risk, no guarantee, warranty or other assurance is given for what was once 'current' over a year and a half ago. :eek::eek::eek:

I've reviewed every line of it and functions it doesn't support, I don't use anyway.

What was the reason?

I don't want to re-do my 30 DHCP reservations and neat icons I imported or document my configuration by hand and fat-finger it back in every time there's a firmware update (which might not be an issue anymore, it's beginning to seem)

Work smarter, not harder

I'll bet you could work smarter by letting DHCP automate most of those IP assignments and just forget about those pretty icons! :)

OE

It's a nuisance mainly because the Asus UI sucks and is sloooooooooow

Work smarter, not harder

I've reviewed every line of it and functions it doesn't support, I don't use anyway.

What was the reason?

I'm not sure of the reason, but RMerlin and john9527 would know those details.

I'll bet you could work smarter by letting DHCP automate most of those IP assignments and just forget about those pretty icons! :)

OE
Except that I have servers that need an unchanging IP and the icons and IPs let me quickly identify which devices are connected without having to look them up (which has been especially necessary in troubleshooting this router) and IoT devices don't like IP changes. You presume my needs are the same as your needs.

Except that I have servers that need an unchanging IP and the icons and IPs let me quickly identify which devices are connected without having to look them up (which has been especially necessary in troubleshooting this router) and IoT devices don't like IP changes. You presume my needs are the same as your needs.

I did not presume anything.

You could give your servers static IPs.

And frankly, if your equipment can't stay networked without you looking at it, you should consider getting different equipment... router, IoT devices, whatever it takes.... smarter instead of harder.

OE

I was thinking on hooking my GT backup and see if anything has changed.. But by the looks of things many are still having issues with this beast.. Here I thought this was just a bad dream!! lol.. Looks like 8 months wasn't enough!

Zippy..

OE
Valid question. I'd say the answer is both. I've got a list of only maybe 10 static ips so that's not the end of the world. Having to shut down my media server, surveillance system, VPN and anything remotely accessible (which actually is a lot) and most importantly my work backbone is a pretty big thing to me. (I'm home officed so I really can't afford to be totally offline for a couple days while I reconfigure my world.)

If I didn't work from home, I wouldn't really care as much about this. Same reason I won't root my cell phone. If that thing goes down, I'm totally out of touch and I can't wait until a replacement arrives or I finally determine the fix.

A better question though is should we really have to be doing this at all? We paid a top price for these routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!