What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So what you are basically saying is the following sentence
"Fantastic performance and stability."
actually means
"Fantastic speed, stability and stability." ?
And when EVEN though MarkSW explicitly splits performance and stability up in two words he still refers to performance as a stability parameter. This makes sense to you or did you miss the context?

You DID miss the context. I am telling you I did the testing of this myself and found the same results as Tim and CustomPCReview. But I am guessing this is not reliable sources?

I doesn't. I have had it for a year and it does not reboot all the time. You must have a faulty device. Why did you not exchange it? If it keeps rebooting then it is completely unacceptable!
I replaced my unit 3 times and always had the rebooting and wireless dropout issues. Logic would say either there is a firmware issue or Asus QC is not up to standard.
Please also try and not be critical and nitpick every post someone makes about their complaints, issues and problems with the GT-AC5300.
Your unit works - great! There are still a boatload of people who have issues with this router and that is a fact that cannot be disputed.

So what you are basically saying is the following sentence
"Fantastic performance and stability."
actually means
"Fantastic speed, stability and stability." ?
And when EVEN though MarkSW explicitly splits performance and stability up in two words he still refers to performance as a stability parameter. This makes sense to you or did you miss the context?

You DID miss the context. I am telling you I did the testing of this myself and found the same results as Tim and CustomPCReview. But I am guessing this is not reliable sources?

I doesn't. I have had it for a year and it does not reboot all the time. You must have a faulty device. Why did you not exchange it? If it keeps rebooting then it is completely unacceptable!

Personal attacks and appeals to authority do not an argument make

Firmware is the problem; exchanging it won't fix that unless I "exchange" it for a different make entirely like the other guy you're nit-picking did

Again, you aren't getting the whole data-point thing: your not having a problem does not mean a bunch of us are not having problems (different configurations, STAs attached, etc.)

...unless Asus has some serious hardware quality control problems (which is what you're unwittingly suggesting), in which case this router is junk, reasons why are purely academic

I replaced my unit 3 times and always had the rebooting and wireless dropout issues. Logic would say either there is a firmware issue or Asus QC is not up to standard.
Please also try and not be critical and nitpick every post someone makes about their complaints, issues and problems with the GT-AC5300.
Your unit works - great! There are still a boatload of people who have issues with this router and that is a fact that cannot be disputed.
I have been very advocate about issues with the GT-AC5300. Especially the whole ROG styling and the simple fact that some features does not work yet but as a simple router it seems to be working in my case. Both of them (have two).

But your argument goes also with Ubnt. So many people - especially on reddit - claims Ubnt is unmatched in stability and performance and that is simply not true. See for yourself. It reads like it was managed by Ubnt fanatics or somebody on their payroll:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/

Personal attacks and appeals to authority do not an argument make

Firmware is the problem; exchanging it won't fix that unless I "exchange" it for a different make entirely like the other guy you're nit-picking did

Again, you aren't getting the whole data-point thing: your not having a problem does not mean a bunch of us are not having problems (different configurations, STAs attached, etc.)

...unless Asus has some serious hardware quality control problems (which is what you're unwittingly suggesting), in which case this router is junk, reasons why are purely academic
Well you tried to lecture me about misunderstanding the meaning of "performance" in this discussion. No appeals to authority may not be valid but when the performance claims comes from somebody's wife and kids vs. proper testing the authority seems the right way to go. I couldn't ask my kids and wife for these metrics - could you?

Sure Asus does not deliver much of the promised stuff on the GT-AC5300. I used it primarily as a router and it works fine. But if it doesn't do what it says on the box and you need said feature why not send it back?

Well you tried to lecture me about misunderstanding the meaning of "performance" in this discussion. No appeals to authority may not be valid but when the performance claims comes from somebody's wife and kids vs. proper testing the authority seems the right way to go. I couldn't ask my kids and wife for these metrics - could you?

Sure Asus does not deliver much of the promised stuff on the GT-AC5300. I used it primarily as a router and it works fine. But if it doesn't do what it says on the box and you need said feature why not send it back?
I believe all of us that are serious enough to post in a geek based forum want to believe in the tech. We have faith in a company to deliver a killer product. Yes, most tech products tend to deliver short in the beginning, but we are two years in the making. All of us held on in hopes it would mature into the magnificent router it was meant to be. That is why none of us returned it. This is also why a few of us have cast them out the the shelf of failures. It is time.

I believe all of us that are serious enough to post in a geek based forum want to believe in the tech. We have faith in a company to deliver a killer product. Yes, most tech products tend to deliver short in the beginning, but we are two years in the making. All of us held on in hopes it would mature into the magnificent router it was meant to be. That is why none of us returned it. This is also why a few of us have cast them out the the shelf of failures. It is time.
Well it was a promising piece of kit. But I think it was destroyed by all the crappy ROG branding. If it had just followed the "normal" AsusWRT branch instead of all that ugly gamer fluff we would maybe have had a better device. Whoever PR moron came up with this "idea" should be fired.

Hahaha
+1 to Trentors comment!
That was an odd decision that turned a potentially rock solid product into a bloatware interface!
That's my humble opinion! Maybe there are gamers out there that are happy! We'll never know, we're living in a world where good feedback is never sent.

When I bought my 68U I had a bit of troubles, nearly a year. Asus eventually turn it into a product that I had to reboot for firmware upgrade.
My GT is doing well as long as I'm not doing any VPN to it. At least that's my latest suspicion.
I did not travel for over a month so no VPN. As soon as I went abroad, VPN and then 2nd 5ghz radio went dark! And I don't have any other problems with it. It just works as it suppose to be!

Another interesting question: where are firmware upgrades? Last one in September and we're getting to winter! For any product!

Well it was a promising piece of kit. But I think it was destroyed by all the crappy ROG branding. If it had just followed the "normal" AsusWRT branch instead of all that ugly gamer fluff we would maybe have had a better device. Whoever PR moron came up with this "idea" should be fired.
I think we are in total agreeance! This is also why I went commercial grade. Just like laptops, you buy a T series thinkpad surface Pro or Book you get nothing but windows. No bloatware. Buy a bestbuy model and you have 30 min of uninstalls coming.

First let me appologise for any mistakes, english is not my mother language.
No, I am talking about wireless overall, my issues starts every time my wifi drops out connection or when I am turn back one page on browser or when my devices wakes up, more common on my iphone 8 and my ipad mini 4, other devices have dead slow speed for browsing and sometimes difficulties in get one valid ip from router. Nothing in my setup has changed and when I update I’ve erased nvram and had start from scratch. Sometimes my devices appear on wifi log, but doesn’t connect to internet or extremely low speeds. Dropping outs are frequent

I guess you use the same SSID and password as your previous router, for simplifiy the router exchange steps, I did it too when I switched my old D-Link to AC86U, and it drops Wi-Fi connectivity whenever my iPhone went to sleep, and reconnect once I wake my phone, what I did is forget the Wi-Fi and turn off my Wi-Fi and turn it on back, then set up a new connection to my new router and boom! The problem gone forever. Now I’m with my new GT-AC5300 and I did the same steps, I never have any problem for more than a week.

I haven't read this marathon thread completely but based on these latest replies is it realistic for someone without a lot of routing experience to replace an rt-ac56u with a more elaborate setup like er-4/uap? Or should I stay simple with a new asus all-in-one? This is also becoming a hobby for me so it doesn't have to be real practical/easy.

EDIT: wrong thread for this question
No. The er4 has a pretty good gui, but if you want a more elaborate setup you need to understand command line and ssh. You can get by with Google. The bonus is this router can do anything if you learn command line. You will also need to setup the firewall from scratch. Not hard, but you will need to Google some good setups.

I take that back, if you do the little wizard in the beginning it will give you a basic firewall setup that blocks everything.

Supposed to be a new firmware in December.

fingers crossed (like many I assume). I'm just catching up with this thread, I don't come around often, and I was hoping that "there's a fix for dropped connections on mesh!" but looking at the last page, it looks like not yet. I'll admit I havent read the entire backlog from the last time I was here (months ago?) but I have to agree with Trentors about the ROG branding. If you want the most powerful router that Asus makes, you are stuck with a "gamer interface" and something that seems like a lot of hype and a lot of bugs. I've wondered if the dropped wifi connections were my AC68U but from reading around, I don't think so.

fingers crossed (like many I assume). I'm just catching up with this thread, I don't come around often, and I was hoping that "there's a fix for dropped connections on mesh!" but looking at the last page, it looks like not yet. I'll admit I havent read the entire backlog from the last time I was here (months ago?) but I have to agree with Trentors about the ROG branding. If you want the most powerful router that Asus makes, you are stuck with a "gamer interface" and something that seems like a lot of hype and a lot of bugs. I've wondered if the dropped wifi connections were my AC68U but from reading around, I don't think so.
Pod, search the post. I remember reading something about airtime fairness. I disabled airtime fairness and the dropping stopped .

Pod, search the post. I remember reading something about airtime fairness. I disabled airtime fairness and the dropping stopped .
Thanks Maahfu on the direction. Looking into it, wow....that's confusing. I'll start by just turning off airtime fairness and hopefully that will do it. All that changing of the Smart Connect Rule is a bucket of worms for sure. I'll start simple.

I wish we could find more details on "Improved AiMesh dedicated backhaul mechanism for tri-band to tri-band AiMesh modes."

Finally a dedicated wireless backhaul!!! Been waiting for this forever, this is basically what the Orbi from netgear routers do, now there wont be any other devices on the wireless backhaul causing it to slow down, second 5ghz band will be dedicated and will deliver its full bandwidth! Yesss! This has been my only complaint of this router because if my devices are on the same channel as the backhaul it would cut the speed in half, now it wont.

PS is have 2 GT-AC5300 in AiMesh mode with FiOS 1Gbps connection

Attachments

• 8E26069C-B2B3-48BA-95C8-DB209C8C4D9A.jpeg
    8E26069C-B2B3-48BA-95C8-DB209C8C4D9A.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 553
So I wonder if this means we should finally turn the "airtime fairness" back on (which is the default setting). I actually just turned it off a few days ago and haven't seen any drops since. I'm guessing that fixed it (band aid) but likely didnt help but rather hurt speeds.

Anyway, I'll upgrade the FW and leave the airtime fairness off (unless the update turns it back on) and we'll see what happens. It if continues to be ok, I might try turning it back on and see if I notice a difference. anything I do w/ the wifi in reality is just simple stuff like controlling smart plugs, roku, general web surfing on phones from the couch. If I'm doing speed needy things like media server or working, I use ethernet.

Why the he** can't they give us a skin to get rid of the gaming fluff? That would be so easy to do!

Here's what the Asus page says is the release notes:
ASUS GT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.45149
AiMesh
- Improved AiMesh dedicated backhaul mechanism for tri-band to tri-band AiMesh modes.
- Lyra, Lyra Mini, and Lyra Trio can be added as AiMesh node into GT-AC5300 network.
Please refer to https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038071 for more detail.

Security
- Fixed CVE-2018-14710, CVE-2018-14711, CVE-2018-14712, CVE-2018-14713, CVE-2018-14714. Thanks for Rick Ramgattie's contribution.
- Fixed AiCloud/ Samba account vulnerability. Thanks for Matthew Cundari's contribution.
- Fixed DoS vulnerability. Thanks for Ruikai Liu's contribution.
- Fixed CVE-2018-17020, CVE-2018-17021, CVE-2018-17022.
- Fixed stored XSS vulnerability. Thanks for Duda Przemyslaw's contribution.
- Updated OpenSSL library.

New Alexa skill and IFTTT actions
- Add Alexa skill “ ask ASUS ROUTER to report security status”
- Add Alexa skill “ ask ASUS ROUTER how many devices are online”
- Add IFTTT actions : Wake on LAN
- Add IFTTT actions : check new firmware available and upgrade
[Note] You have to upgrade the firmware version up to 3.0.0.4.384_45149 if you want to use these new Alexa skills and IFTTT actions.

Bug fixes and improvement
- Improved wireless stability.
- Modified “Dual Wan” user interface.
- Modified “Port Forwarding” user interface.
- Modified “Restore” user interface.
- Fixed “VPN Fusion” bugs.
- Fixed GUI bugs on user feedback page.
- Fixed “Adaptive QoS” bugs.

Last edited:
So just installed 3.0.0.4.384.45149 and did a reset. Knock on wood so far no issues. 1 thing I noticed right away is they fixed the Client list randomly refreshing/dropping connections every couple of seconds. I know this was a display issue, but this annoyed me to no end and it wasn't specific to the GT-AC5300

Not nice at all! Actually super annoying!
5GHz radio#2 is assigned to backhaul and I can't seem to find a way to "take it out" of this mode!
I have a wired backhaul and a 68U on the other side. So no need whatsoever for the current mode.

Did anyone spot the setting to have radio#2 as a normal radio?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!