What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not nice at all! Actually super annoying!
5GHz radio#2 is assigned to backhaul and I can't seem to find a way to "take it out" of this mode!
I have a wired backhaul and a 68U on the other side. So no need whatsoever for the current mode.

Did anyone spot the setting to have radio#2 as a normal radio?

You should be able to change the backhaul to ethernet as explained here... https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035197

It is already configured as ethernet and node is showned as wired. I tried auto, then back ethernet but no luck.
In status 5Ghz-2 still shows "5 GHz-2 is now used as dedicated WiFi backhaul under AiMesh mode."
And that's what's annoying: I don't need a dedicated WiFi backhaul!

Duplicating the message from another post.

Searching for dwb give me the clue:
In my GT-AC5300 there are 3 settings:
dwb_band=2
dwb_mode=1
dwb_scb=1

Overwriting it in the following order:
nvram set dwb_scb=
nvram set dwb_mode=
nvram set dwb_band=
nvram commit

Brings back the 2nd 5Ghz radio. It just pops-back to Smart Connect in my case.
So I'm back happy.

Although it's stupid the way Asus made this decision! I mean...there must be a product manager somewhere that really pays no attention and decides the features with no thoughts on what's out there.

And that's odd, because they do get our config every single time we send feedback. So they could run some comprehensive assessment what people are looking for and what config is actually running on their routers.

Late edit: sorry I couldn't revert sooner.
Pointless: those settings are not persistent. A reboot will turn them back on.
Still searching, but I'm afraid there's no fast way around, other than wait for Asus to allow us use the 2nd 5GHz radio :(

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what these messages mean and if I can stop them because they are flooding my system log non-stop.

Jan 24 16:22:13 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Assoc C8:3A:6B:29:6E:9B
Jan 24 16:22:15 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Assoc C8:3A:6B:1D:0D:00
Jan 24 16:22:20 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Assoc D0:BF:9C:AD:EE:57
Jan 24 16:24:13 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Assoc 00:20:00:BB:A2:06

Can anyone tell me what these messages mean and if I can stop them because they are flooding my system log non-stop.

Jan 24 16:22:13 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Assoc C8:3A:6B:29:6E:9B
Jan 24 16:22:15 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Assoc C8:3A:6B:1D:0D:00
Jan 24 16:22:20 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Assoc D0:BF:9C:AD:EE:57
Jan 24 16:24:13 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Assoc 00:20:00:BB:A2:06

They mean that those devices just connected to wifi. No, they cannot be suppressed, it's hardcoded.

Anybody else using the Port Truncking/Link aggregation feature on the GT-ac5300!
Seems with the latest 3 firmwares this is causing massive reboots on my router, depending on network load every 20 mins ...
On previous firmwares it was working with my Qnap Ts-670 pro, but then again we had other issues with the router omg....
Running now again 384.32799 with aggregation disabled and for now 1 day up without reboots.

@dwadj, I'm running link aggregation to a Synology for >2y and had no reboots.
On a GT-ac5300? It's only available for a good year and in early firmware it was totally not working...
Maybe it's the combination of Qnap's trunking impl and the asus one.... i don't know but i've disabled it on the router and now it's not rebooting every 20 mins or so...
In pics the config in the qnap. (Dutch but quite straightforward i think)
This is with the GT-ac5300 aggregration function disabled
Does anybody know the difference in Hash policy layer 2 vs 2+3?
upload_2019-1-29_11-9-36.png

upload_2019-1-29_11-10-38.png

upload_2019-1-29_11-11-31.png

upload_2019-1-29_11-12-46.png

On a GT-ac5300? It's only available for a good year and in early firmware it was totally not working...
Maybe it's the combination of Qnap's trunking impl and the asus one.... i don't know but i've disabled it on the router and now it's not rebooting every 20 mins or so...
In pics the config in the qnap. (Dutch but quite straightforward i think)
This is with the GT-ac5300 aggregration function disabled
Does anybody know the difference in Hash policy layer 2 vs 2+3?
View attachment 16067

View attachment 16068

View attachment 16069

View attachment 16070

To support my findings, I checked the logs of the GT-ac5300 with disabled link aggregation.
Now i can see this in the loging....

Jan 29 02:02:36 rc_service: ntp 1369:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Jan 29 02:02:36 disk_monitor: Finish
Jan 29 02:02:36 disk monitor: be idle
Jan 29 02:02:39 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 3529123_patch
Jan 29 02:02:39 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.14 r3529123
Jan 29 02:02:39 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 280
Jan 29 02:02:39 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 18b
Jan 29 02:02:40 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=0
Jan 29 02:02:40 crond[816]: time disparity of 387117 minutes detected
Jan 29 02:02:43 rc_service: udhcpc 1346:notify_rc start_firewall

Reboot @02:00 which is exactly the time the NAS goes into sleep mode every morning...
I've now also disabled port truncking on the nas itself so only one adapter connected...
Gues what no restart when NAS goes into sleep mode....

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...rking-on-a-gt-ac5300.39019/page-2#post-364984

You're right, not 2 years! My bad, it's just 1y and a bit!
Can't talk about qnap implementation, sorry. But i don't think Asus is using L3 for hashing.
I personally had no functionality problems since the beta that brought link aggregation. Only some spam into logs, if memory serves.

If it's easy to reproduce, you should send feedback and work with Asus to find the problem.

I just bought the Lyra Trio, updated the firmware, and set them up as Aimesh nodes on my GT-AC5300. These things are gems as these are the fastest speeds I've ever received all around the house with this setup. Previous to that, I was using the 5300 with another GT-AC5300 and/or an 86u as Aimesh nodes but the speeds were not reliable and the connections between the router and nodes were not stable when transitioning from router to node(s), etc. This setup has been rock solid for a few days now but these little irons were difficult to get recognized as Aimesh nodes but finally got them all setup. The Lyra app is pretty much not required now although it would be nice to be able to use it as the Asus iOS app is slow and not very reliable I find. I can use the Lyra app but only to connect to one Lyra at a time where I would think the Lyra app would see them all as Aimesh nodes somehow. Anybody else using these?

Tempted to mesh them with the new AX11000 but don't think I'll see a diff.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...rking-on-a-gt-ac5300.39019/page-2#post-364984

You're right, not 2 years! My bad, it's just 1y and a bit!
Can't talk about qnap implementation, sorry. But i don't think Asus is using L3 for hashing.
I personally had no functionality problems since the beta that brought link aggregation. Only some spam into logs, if memory serves.

If it's easy to reproduce, you should send feedback and work with Asus to find the problem.

Yes ticket opened with Both Asus and Qnap.

Anyone here running PiHole with the GT5300?

If so, successfully? Mind to show same screenshots of your settings?
Cheers

I am looking for some clarification about AImesh. I have a GT-AC5300 running the latest firmware and just invested in a set of Lyra's (Ac2200) which I have updated individually with the latest firmware and added them to the GT-AC5300 as AImesh nodes. I also have an RT-AC86u. I have attached a screenshot. What I can't find out anywhere is what the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz labels mean next to each AImesh node? Is that the wifi backhaul channel they're using? I added the Lyra's two days ago and almost all the time they have been marked with 2.4Ghz. I think I noticed one instance when one was using 5Ghz. Is it possible to force them onto one of the two 5Ghz channels, leaving the other 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz channels available for clients? I am right in thinking that the Lyra's I have (not the Trios that look like irons) are tri-band.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 21.55.07.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 21.55.07.png
    175.7 KB · Views: 394
I am looking for some clarification about AImesh. I have a GT-AC5300 running the latest firmware and just invested in a set of Lyra's (Ac2200) which I have updated individually with the latest firmware and added them to the GT-AC5300 as AImesh nodes. I also have an RT-AC86u. I have attached a screenshot. What I can't find out anywhere is what the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz labels mean next to each AImesh node? Is that the wifi backhaul channel they're using? I added the Lyra's two days ago and almost all the time they have been marked with 2.4Ghz. I think I noticed one instance when one was using 5Ghz. Is it possible to force them onto one of the two 5Ghz channels, leaving the other 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz channels available for clients? I am right in thinking that the Lyra's I have (not the Trios that look like irons) are tri-band.

I believe the AiMesh node band reference is the current backhaul. band.

The Lyra spec says tri-band, so they must be tri-band.

OE

I believe the AiMesh node band reference is the current backhaul. band.

The Lyra spec says tri-band, so they must be tri-band.

OE

Thank you. Is there any way to change the backhaul bank or force it to use another?

I have the following two screenshots from the GT-AC5300 interface. I am currently seeing 2.4Ghz everywhere but elsewhere I am informed that the second radio of 5Ghz is dedicated to backhaul.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-11 at 17.00.57.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-11 at 17.00.57.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 510
  • Screenshot 2019-02-11 at 17.01.28.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-11 at 17.01.28.png
    258.9 KB · Views: 524
Thank you. Is there any way to change the backhaul bank or force it to use another?

I have the following two screenshots from the GT-AC5300 interface. I am currently seeing 2.4Ghz everywhere but elsewhere I am informed that the second radio of 5Ghz is dedicated to backhaul.

I understand your issue and I don't know the answer to your question, how to control the backhaul band selection. I believe the AiMesh router makes this decision on its own... it should, imo. You can query each node (in your pic) to see if there are more config options on the GT-5300.

Is the 5300 broadcasting all three SSIDs, 2.4, 5.0-1, and 5.0-2?

Are the nodes broadcasting their three SSIDs?

Are the nodes located within range of the router's 5.0-2 band? What's the WiFi signal power level at the node... 70dBm or better?

Have you tried connecting a temporary wired backhaul to see how the node responds?

Did you upload the latest firmware on all routers and then factory default reset all routers before configuring the AiMesh router and adding the nodes? If not, then I would do that.

Inspect the router Wireless Log to identify any MACs you can attribute to the node wireless backhauls. Three nodes ought to show three 2.4 backhauls and three 5.0 backhauls.

Is it working ok? Have you run a wired PC speedtest.net at the router and at the nodes to compare performance? Maybe the GUI is misreporting the backhaul info.

OE

I bought a GT 5300 for the quad core and AImesh. I like the router and it’s power for my large network but I’m frustrated with the firmware peculiarities like losing the 5.2 channel to backhaul when I have wired backhaul and VPN Fusion DNS issues. I can’t use VPN because all DNS queries are routed through the VPN DNS which blocks Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime on my TVs and disables my DNS parental filter. Prior to the GT 5300 I ran Merlin on an RT 68u and everything worked well, especially VPN. Upgrading to 1G fiber overwhelmed the 68u however.

I’m not sure we will ever see a third party firmware for the GT and Asus WRT is progressing slowly. I’m running VPN on the important clients but I like running an open guest network with DNS filtering and VPN but haven’t managed to set it up on the GT firmware unlike Merlin.

I wish Asus would fix WRT or open the source to third party development. Maybe their listening.....

Traveler

Amen. Been waiting for them to update the firmware and fix for 2 months now. Have some Nokia nodes coming soon to test out. From a test report from Tolly, looks very promising!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds interesting, I'd be interested to hear how they work out. I am using MoCA 2.0 adapters connecting the GT5300 to switches and end devices like TVs, over the existing Coax running to each room for cable TV. I am getting about 800 mbps and it doesn't interfere with the standard cable TV signal. I also use Power Over Ethernet to security cameras and some Ethernet window covering controllers and a few other things, but I am only getting about 200mbps to each device yet it is enough to carry a mix of 2k and 4k video and handle low bandwidth devices. Both setups are rock solid.

AImesh and Smartconnect handle the wifi coverage pretty well, if only I could get the 5.2 channel back and manage DNS and VPN I'd be set. I have been testing pfSense for routing through a virtual machine but I'd rather handle it on the GT5300 if they will get the firmware sorted out.

Traveler

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!