What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

the GPON (Alcatel Lucent) has 4 ports, one for internet, one for TV receiver. I was able to access the GPON interface in the past and put my router in DMZ, however, that didnt work for DDNS, but works for port forwarding. ISP support is very unhelpful and when I call asking for an unlocked GPON, they direct me to someone to sell me static ip packages.

DMZ won't help you here; you need to put it in bridge mode if that's an option. Can you get the manual? Does it have a bridge mode? If so, what prevents you from doing so?

I don't know if/how your TV receiver will work with this since...well...I can't believe we still have fax machines and TV receivers and satellite receivers but that's me...

I saw a new Firmware 3.0.0.4.384_70116 being release on the official asus website but today its gone. Anyone knows what that does?

I see. because I did not see any patch note on what the firmware does haha. so it still better to use 45717?

Just updated firmware to 3.0.0.4.384_70116 ,the interface color is changed and new features have been added(Open NAT).
i use basic router settings aka no ipv6 or vpn, and everything seems fine.(Excuse my English)

Attachments

• Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.05 - 20.24.04.93.png
    Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.05 - 20.24.04.93.png
    528 KB · Views: 771
Also upgraded to 70116. so far so good and the GUI has better colors (more readable)

I wish they'd do away with all the graphics and glitz and just go with a far less busy aesthetic for all their routers and apps, RoG especially. I don't know why "gamer" equates to "tacky" in Asus' eyes.

Is anyone on 70116 in the US? Has the firmware been pulled? I don't see it on the website or through the web console of the router.

I live in the US also and I don't see 70116. Im currently on the 45717. Is there a newer firmware out from the 45717?

Thanks!
Zippy.

The only minor issue with this new firmware 3.0.0.4.384_70116 is that I can't turn off all LEDs. LAN activity is always ON no matter what. Everything else seems to be fine.

Hello ,

I jus found this forum after posting a new thread on the general Router Forum. Sorry if it is duplicated but I am desperately need help.

I was a proud owner of Asus RT-AC68U for several years until it died on me recently. I went to Amazon and bought a "Used-like new" Asus ROG GT-AC5300. Unit came and it looks new with an open box. I hooked it up and went through configuration. Out of the box, 2.4GHz was extremely slow and unreliable. I test it with a laptop within 5 feet from the router and the Speed test gave me 15Mbps/2.5 Mbps on my 100/10Mbpz Internet plan., while the other two bands show 130Mbps/10Mbps speed. Tested upstairs is worse, 2.4Ghz show 4.3 Mbps/1.2 Mbps and 5Ghz bands shows consistenly 126/10 Mbps.
I tried to change the channel for the 2.4Ghz band to 20Mhz and with channels 1,6,11 as recommended but not much different. Channel 4, is better 5.6/1.5 Mbps from upstairs.
Upgrade to the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45717 did not help. I ran Wifi analyzer and do not see any band/channel utlization issue (I live in the wood, several hundreds feet from the next house).
Obviously this is worse than the old RT-68U that I had before, except the 5GHz is about 130% better.
Is this a defintely a hardware issue? I do not use much 2.4GHz band except some IP cameras around the house, but it bothers me that i should expect much better coverage and signal, speed with a top-of-the-line router on the market.
Should I return it? Maybe i will try the Tp-link AC5400, heard that the range is really good.

I went to Amazon and bought a "Used-like new" Asus ROG GT-AC5300. Unit came and it looks new with an open box. I hooked it up and went through configuration. Out of the box, 2.4GHz was extremely slow and unreliable. I test it with a laptop within 5 feet from the router and the Speed test gave me 15Mbps/2.5 Mbps on my 100/10Mbpz Internet plan., while the other two bands show 130Mbps/10Mbps speed. Tested upstairs is worse, 2.4Ghz show 4.3 Mbps/1.2 Mbps and 5Ghz bands shows consistenly 126/10 Mbps.
I tried to change the channel for the 2.4Ghz band to 20Mhz and with channels 1,6,11 as recommended but not much different. Channel 4, is better 5.6/1.5 Mbps from upstairs.
Upgrade to the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45717 did not help. I ran Wifi analyzer and do not see any band/channel utlization issue (I live in the wood, several hundreds feet from the next house).
Obviously this is worse than the old RT-68U that I had before, except the 5GHz is about 130% better.
Is this a defintely a hardware issue? I do not use much 2.4GHz band except some IP cameras around the house, but it bothers me that i should expect much better coverage and signal, speed with a top-of-the-line router on the market.
Should I return it? Maybe i will try the Tp-link AC5400, heard that the range is really good.
Thats why "Used-like new"!!!
2,4G wont be better than with 68U but about the same!

Out of the box, 2.4GHz was extremely slow and unreliable. I test it with a laptop within 5 feet from the router and the Speed test gave me 15Mbps/2.5 Mbps on my 100/10Mbpz Internet plan., while the other two bands show 130Mbps/10Mbps speed. Tested upstairs is worse, 2.4Ghz show 4.3 Mbps/1.2 Mbps and 5Ghz bands shows consistenly 126/10 Mbps.

You updated firmware already; make sure you do a factory reset. Ensure all your antennas are connected properly and check for broken/recessed pins.

When you test, have only the laptop connected (power off your other 2.4GHz devices). If it doesn't work, I would return it. (My speeds are fine; the router itself is unreliable and I regret not returning it in my 30-day window. Because of this, I will no longer assume a firmware update will fix problems with a new product and won't buy Asus products since this is a 15-year trend with them)

2 months since the last update.
386 should be spectacular! And full of bugs like an evening drive in July!
And my uptime is 32 days! Not bad at all, considering I have no idea why the router reboot by itself 32 days 3 hours 37 minute(s) ago :)

New GT-AC5300

2.4 GHz radio lasted less than 3 weeks. Channel 0 issue. Tried everything. Thankfully still in return window.
I ordered a replacement.
Did I do the right thing, or is this a known issue ? There seem to be a higher number than normal radio complaints.

I also lost network mapping under 45717 after the radio went. Upgraded to 70116 and got network mapping back and it felt snappier.
Unless someone knows of a reason to not upgrade I would recommend 70116. Thank you Grisu for the link.

So is this thing any good or am I better off getting the older RT-ac5300. Honest question for folks who have gone through the trials of owning either or both the RT and GT-ac5300. I’ve got a 68U.

So is this thing any good or am I better off getting the older RT-ac5300. Honest question for folks who have gone through the trials of owning either or both the RT and GT-ac5300. I’ve got a 68U.

So, get the 86U for value performance and to see you through until ax technology is the norm.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!